SiouxSports.com Forum

Early departures 2017

cberkas

11 hours ago, brianvf said:

One returning dman that played regularly and no goalie with significant playing time usually doesn't make for a great season. 

Let's see some DU players opt for the pros too. 

No returning captains that need to be restrained by officials.....uffda.....no blatant goalie runners......

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Why does everyone get excited when top players leave our conference. Make fun of the B1G for being easy yet want an easier path in our league that we pimp as the toughest in the land? I guess you can have it both ways.

I don't see Neal Pionk as being the key cog to keeping the NCHC as a powerhouse. My disdain for UMD exploded this year and I wish them no success, even if it's for a small slight of our league.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I don't see Neal Pionk as being the key cog to keeping the NCHC as a powerhouse. My disdain for UMD exploded this year and I wish them no success, even if it's for a small slight of our league.

Colossal loss though.  UMD will struggle next year.

18 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Colossal loss though.  UMD will struggle next year.

We did alright after losing two NHL and one AHL defensemen. But, they also aren't returning an All-American, a drafted captain, another draft pick and a former USHL d-man of the year. LOL.... now after saying this, yes, yes they will and I am not upset, whatsoever about it!

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

We did alright after losing two NHL and one AHL defensemen. But, they also aren't returning an All-American, a drafted captain, another draft pick and a former USHL d-man of the year. LOL.... now after saying this, yes, yes they will and I am not upset, whatsoever about it!

Bingo :)

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The idea (expressed by some on here) that Denver will lose very few, if any, underclassmen is far-fetched. It is only a matter of time before several underclassmen start signing contracts.

What information are you basing this on?  Hope and a prayer?

FWIW, I have a few connections high up within the DU athletic department who have told me that Terry is leaning towards coming back and Borgstrom is 50/50.  Gambrell is leaning towards leaving, and nobody seems to have any indication on what Jaillet is going to do.  Of course, they all four could sign, but there is certainly optimism within DU's program that 3 of the 4 will come back with an outside chance at getting all four back.

3 minutes ago, Fighting Sioux 23 said:

I don't know, the fact that the current CBA makes it more attractive for players to sign early. The fact that dangling that money in their faces makes it hard to say no to signing early. But I suppose individual situations are all different and there are always exceptions to the rule.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The idea (expressed by some on here) that Denver will lose very few, if any, underclassmen is far-fetched. It is only a matter of time before several underclassmen start signing contracts.

9 minutes ago, Fighting Sioux 23 said:

FWIW, I have a few connections high up within the DU athletic department who have told me that Terry is leaning towards coming back and Borgstrom is 50/50.  Gambrell is leaning towards leaving, and nobody seems to have any indication on what Jaillet is going to do.  Of course, they all four could sign, but there is certainly optimism within DU's program that 3 of the 4 will come back with an outside chance at getting all four back.

I think what FS4L is saying is that it's far-fetched to presume they all come back, because that hasn't been the norm, of late. UND in 2016, BU this year and UMD this year are pretty strong examples.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I don't know, the fact that the current CBA makes it more attractive for players to sign early. The fact that dangling that money in their faces makes it hard to say no to signing early. But I suppose individual situations are all different and there are always exceptions to the rule.

So just speculation? 

Also, I'm not sure there is a rule when it comes to early departures.  This is particularly true when it comes to dealing with Freshmen and Sophomores. 

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I think what FS4L is saying is that it's far-fetched to presume they all come back, because that hasn't been the norm, of late. UND in 2016, BU this year and UMD this year are pretty strong examples.

Except that's not what he said.  He said to expect several DU underclassmen to sign contracts.  Based on what I've heard, that is not likely to happen.  Don't get me wrong though, I would love to see DU decimated by early departures.

19 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Why does everyone get excited when top players leave our conference. Make fun of the B1G for being easy yet want an easier path in our league that we pimp as the toughest in the land? I guess you can have it both ways.

I see what you're saying, for me it's a pretty thin line. I want the NCHC to be the best league in the country, but more importantly, I want UND to be the best team in the NCHC. Anything that gives UND the best shot to win the regular season title, I'm cheering for. Like I said about a pretty thin line, do I want an easier path for UND, absolutely, do I want a cake walk like the Big10 has been, no.

4 minutes ago, Fighting Sioux 23 said:

Except that's not what he said.  He said to expect several DU underclassmen to sign contracts.  Based on what I've heard, that is not likely to happen.  Don't get me wrong though, I would love to see DU decimated by early departures.

Based on what has happened recently to perennial college hockey powers, it is not unreasonable to expect underclassmen to sign early. Especially after winning an NCAA title. These NHL teams are always sniffing around come playoff time in March and April, trying to convince their underclassmen draftees to sign as soon as their team is eliminated from contention. It is becoming harder than ever for these kids to say no to that kind of pressure.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Fighting Sioux 23 said:

Going strictly off what I've read on Twitter, I'm actually happy to see this breakdown. I have this bad feeling that Denver caught lighting in a bottle with this group of players (who are Freshman / Sophomores, not Sophomores / Juniors). How many are truly NHL ready? They are incredible college players as is, but might not have what it takes to make the jump. They are the ideal players every team wants.

31 minutes ago, Fighting Sioux 23 said:

So things have changed a little bit with Borgstrom.  A couple of weeks ago the hockey pundits made it sound like he was very likely to come back.  If Montgomery does decide to leave, that will be a significant factor in some of these players decisions.  You just won a Natty, new coach coming in with a new personality and possible philosophical differences.  Life probably does not get better at DU than it was this past year.  I have no doubt they will continue to field a strong team, however they are losing a significant number of players and talent even without early departures.

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Based on what has happened recently to perennial college hockey powers, it is not unreasonable to expect underclassmen to sign early. Especially after winning an NCAA title. These NHL teams are always sniffing around come playoff time in March and April, trying to convince their underclassmen draftees to sign as soon as their team is eliminated from contention. It is becoming harder than ever for these kids to say no to that kind of pressure.

I think you're trying to use last year's Sioux team too much. They were hit significantly harder by early departures than most previous NCAA champions.  Previous 7 NCAA Champion Early Departures:

2015-2016 North Dakota - 4 Juniors, 1 Sophomore

2014-2015 Providence - 2 Juniors

2013-2014 Union - 1 Junior

2012-2013 Yale - 0 early departures

2011-2012 Boston College - 2 Juniors

2010-2011 Minnesota Duluth - 1 Junior, 1 Freshman

2009-2010 Boston College - 0 early departures.

1 hour ago, Fighting Sioux 23 said:

I think Jaillet is waiting for an offer from Edmonton or Calgary.

3 hours ago, Fighting Sioux 23 said:

I think you're trying to use last year's Sioux team too much. They were hit significantly harder by early departures than most previous NCAA champions.  Previous 7 NCAA Champion Early Departures:

2015-2016 North Dakota - 4 Juniors, 1 Sophomore

2014-2015 Providence - 2 Juniors

2013-2014 Union - 1 Junior

2012-2013 Yale - 0 early departures

2011-2012 Boston College - 2 Juniors

2010-2011 Minnesota Duluth - 1 Junior, 1 Freshman

2009-2010 Boston College - 0 early departures.

I said college hockey powers (plural), not just UND. And you can't just focus on the NCAA title teams, look at some of the early departures for teams that made it to the Frozen Four. Last year's Boston College team lost a ton of players and didn't make the tournament this year. This year's Boston University team lost most (if not all) their "diaper dandies" after Duluth beat them in OT in the regional final in Fargo.

I wish early signings would not be so prevalent in college hockey, but it is what it is.