SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Michigan State

AZSIOUX

7 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Don't believe so.  They could have redshirted him last year.  They decided against it.

How so? He didn't see any game action except in an exhibition, therefore he didn't use any of his eligibility up and he should have 4 more years to compete if he wants to.

19 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Seniority alone doesn't mean a 3rd rounder sits in the stands his entire sophomore year.

Gotta be either something blatantly glaring in practice or extenuating circumstances such as Tomek planning on leaving.

Seems like a reasonable answer to the weird situation. But then it makes me think...would they keep him around if he straight up told the team he was leaving? And why not leave after last season vs right off the bat this season? Seems like that would make for a really LONG awkward situation for him and for everyone on the team. I'd rather not have him around at all if we knew he was leaving. Even if he was leaving at the end of this semester. 

51 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

How so? He didn't see any game action except in an exhibition, therefore he didn't use any of his eligibility up and he should have 4 more years to compete if he wants to.

We have other goalies coming in...Thome, Karki, etc.  You have to keep the pipeline relatively open....for recruiting purposes.

22 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Seems like a reasonable answer to the weird situation. But then it makes me think...would they keep him around if he straight up told the team he was leaving? And why not leave after last season vs right off the bat this season? Seems like that would make for a really LONG awkward situation for him and for everyone on the team. I'd rather not have him around at all if we knew he was leaving. Even if he was leaving at the end of this semester. 

I think they'd let him finish out the semester and then transfer possibly.

To your second question, maybe he though he'd get a shot vs Canisius, RPI, BSU and when he didn't he made the decision. Wasn't he actually the backup goalie for one of the games this year or am I imagining that?

This is all 100% speculation btw watch now he'll start Saturday :lol:

12 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

To your second question, maybe he though he'd get a shot vs Canisius, RPI, BSU and when he didn't he made the decision. Wasn't he actually the backup goalie for one of the games this year or am I imagining that?

Yeah, he started the season as a the backup and has been dressed for all home games.

6 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Yeah I think he was at one point if I remember right. Good point.

I hope he does. If not Saturday, some game soon then. Thinking long term- Cam will say bye bye after this season and he will be the man. I am sure he realizes that, and I hope that is enough to keep him around. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

We have other goalies coming in...Thome, Karki, etc.  You have to keep the pipeline relatively open....for recruiting purposes.

That doesn't do anything to change the fact he would still have 4 years left if he wants it. You get 5 years to compete in 4. He didn't compete last year so he can still compete for 4 years. I'm not saying he will be around for another 4 years, just stating that if he wants to, he is eligible for 4 more years of NCAA competition.

27 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

That doesn't do anything to change the fact he would still have 4 years left if he wants it. You get 5 years to compete in 4. He didn't compete last year so he can still compete for 4 years. I'm not saying he will be around for another 4 years, just stating that if he wants to, he is eligible for 4 more years of NCAA competition.

Sure.

8 hours ago, Cratter said:

Even more reason to make him second string and get some experience.

Given the youth and inconsistent play the team has had so far, it could be that the coaching staff did not want to expose Tomek to the poor defense the team has shown at times this year.  If the team continues to play as solid as they did against St. Cloud, maybe he will get a shot this weekend, Dec 9th & 10th, or maybe Dec. 31st.  But there simply could be other issues going on that the public does not know about.  The coaching staff has more experience than anyone on this board, so I will trust them.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Siouxman said:

Given the youth and inconsistent play the team has had so far, it could be that the coaching staff did not want to expose Tomek to the poor defense the team has shown at times this year.  If the team continues to play as solid as they did against St. Cloud, maybe he will get a shot this weekend, Dec 9th & 10th, or maybe Dec. 31st.  But there simply could be other issues going on that the public does not know about.  The coaching staff has more experience than anyone on this board, so I will trust them.

Tomek won't see the ice this year.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Siouxman said:

Doesn't that go without saying?

Unless we think Jerry York is a secret member of SS.com...

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Siouxman said:

After numerous posts about why isn't Tomek playing when he should be, some of us may begin to wonder.

It's a message board so people are going to speculate.

Or else every thread would be 'Why did we lose to so and so?'.

Reply: 'Not sure... but I trust the coaches' /thread closed

• Upvote 2