SiouxSports.com Forum

USD welcome back to the Alerus

SENDSIOUX

I really do like the UND defense. It finally feels like the athletes are in place at linebacker and in the secondary to combat the offenses you see at this level. I don't think anyone will be a mismatch this year that goes out and puts 40+ points on the board against UND.

However, I'm afraid the offense is going to be very average all year. The loss of Georges is huge and might cost a couple of wins because there isn't anyone else on the roster that can come close to duplicating his skills. Toivonen, Stanley and Wanzek all look to have bright futures but none of them possess the game-breaking ability that you need to take some of the focus off Santiago.It's going to be a grind all season to score points.

I think the USD quarterback will make some plays, but I'm really not concerned about him having a big day. What I am concerned about is UND taking advantage of all opportunities to put points on the board. UND is just two for five in scoring touchdowns in the red zone this year and has missed two field goals. Can't lose out on scoring opportunities when you lack explosiveness offensively. 

If UND takes advantage of opportunities to score then this game is probably a 27-21 win. If not, then USD has the ability to win the game. 

4 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Frickers Sports Bar in Bowling Green?  It wasn't too bad in there.  A Bowling Green fan said normally they don't have that much representation from the other team.  It was a good showing.  Mason Bennet had 40 people there himself.  Reyes had 20 or so family and friends there.  Chris Carter had family there, too.  It was fun talking with those families. 

Yes indeed it was! Fricker's was a pretty cool little spot.

At first I didn't know who or what was being represented when all the folks wearing #55 white t-shirts rolled in!!! There were soo many, I never imagined it was for UND! Great showing of support by them!

Yes, Bennet and Reyes family/friends amounted to a small Army!! 

Everybody we met were so nice and very passionate about UND...had a great time!

image.jpeg

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, coyotecrazie5 said:

I watched the UND Insider from last week.  Your head coach should be named Bubba Swag-gert with that hounds-tooth jacket he was rockin from the 70's.

And he rocks a 70's style football team.  Man, That would just be embarassing to lose to that guy.

5 hours ago, Nodak78 said:
I found this post interesting.  Damn near cancelled my room in GF for sat and give my tickets away.  then I read the last sentence and felt like I can change the trip to GF for the game.:D

Sep 13, 2016 at 9:06pm

Post by Yotes on Sep 13, 2016 at 9:06pm

Comparing common opponents from 2015 and this 2016 Weber State team paints a favorable picture for USD:

USD 52 vs Drake 0 - UND 21 vs Drake 18
USD 24 at NDSU 21 - UND 9 at NDSU 34 (a game in which UND had 4 yards of rushing and 57 yards passing)
USD 27 at UC Davis 17 - UND 31 vs UC Davis 24
USD 52 vs Weber State 49 - UND 24 at Weber State 25

While the transitive property doesn't exactly apply to football it's hard to ignore how much better USD has fared against these recent common opponents.

Not sure how much value this holds as we transcend eras, but UND has won 12 straight games against USD in Grand Forks. Last time USD won there was in 1985. We also are a couple coaches removed from our last game with UND as the last matchup was in 2011 during Meierkort's last season. So yeah, it's been a little while since these teams have faced each other.

Read more: http://usdcoyotesports.proboards.com/thread/1782/weber-state#ixzz4KMA4RD9S

You like that? Awful lot of confidence on this board for a team that could only score 9 points against Stony Brook. I'll be making my first trip to Grand Forks this weekend. Not expecting anything but a cold shoulder from the fans, but I am expecting a tight game on the field. There will be lots of crow to be eaten here when Streveler effortlessly surpasses 100 yards rushing.

• Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, Yotes said:

You like that? Awful lot of confidence on this board for a team that could only score 9 points against Stony Brook. I'll be making my first trip to Grand Forks this weekend. Not expecting anything but a cold shoulder from the fans, but I am expecting a tight game on the field. There will be lots of crow to be eaten here when Streveler effortlessly surpasses 100 yards rushing.

Awful a lot of confidence coming from a team that has been irrelevant for like ....ever!  

Und will fine offensively against the yotes.  Bad run d.  

100 yards effortlessly  lol. If he gets that he will be one sore dude.

I expect one certain fan from usd to be a jacka&@

Should be a good game 

40 minutes ago, Yotes said:

cant wait gif.gif

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Yotes said:

Don't worry, everyone knows the only way we hear from you again is if the mange puppies win the game.  Enjoy the game.  I'm confident you will be treated fine tailgating unless your a dick.  

17 minutes ago, Yotes said:

The warm welcome I was expecting. If the tailgate is anything like this message board I anticipate delusional rants about the "Slummit" around every corner. Should be a close game, hope to meet some fun people.

Why again would anyone be talking about the summit at a usd und football game??

plenty of fun people to talk to if your interested in football and females 

4 hours ago, Yotes said:

The warm welcome I was expecting. If the tailgate is anything like this message board I anticipate delusional rants about the "Slummit" around every corner. Should be a close game, hope to meet some fun people.

Hey buddy, tell that joker on your board that thinks you will score 45 points on us that I will take the bet. You and your USD board seem pretty cocky for a team that giving up 4.5 points on the spread. I think it will be a good game, but hopefully you'll be man enough to come back here if you lose.... which if you look at the history...m doesn't bode well for you. 

9 hours ago, Yotes said:

you bring negativity thst is what you will receive, Geez do your homework on Stoney Brook before you bring the smak. Any Yote fan that visits that isn't a jerk will be welcome at our tailgate.

17 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

USD's QB is a former Gopher commit. I know we talk about minimizing FBS transfers and such, but taking a few FBS drop-downs from local teams (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, etc.) probably is not a bad idea. I understand the importance of player development, but if you can acquire Big 10 level talent, it may be worth a shot.

No argument here, as long as you are building your team around that or bringing in a total head case. Utilizing some more FBS dropdowns would be fine with me.

9 hours ago, Yotes said:

Enjoy the trip, really wish I could make it up from Minneapolis. Hopefully the tailgating and weather is good.

Yeah, there is a lot of confidence on this board despite the 0-2 start. Trying to put it all in persepective the SB game was just a terrible offensive showing. Not sure what the issue is; O-Line getting up to speed, QB jitters, etc. We know we have talent in our RBs, and we know what our QB is capable of doing (though he hasn't done it consistently this season. We saw the same offensive woes in the first half of the game against Bowling Green, then started to kick it in gear and play more like the offense from the end of last season. The key for UND tomorrow will be getting the offense going right away. If we do that, I think we win the game; if our offense only plays half a game then who knows.

Probably the most significant reason for continued confidence in this team is the defense. They have played really well in two games, and are pretty deep. I think we knew how good our front 7 would be, but now our corners are actually stepping up and playing well too, which was a big question mark after last season. At Safety, Cole Reyes is a beast.

So again, no game is an auto-win, certainly not this game. But especially playing at home, I really like this team to get in the win column.

Enjoy the trip and the game.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, RD17 said:

I really do like the UND defense. It finally feels like the athletes are in place at linebacker and in the secondary to combat the offenses you see at this level. I don't think anyone will be a mismatch this year that goes out and puts 40+ points on the board against UND.

However, I'm afraid the offense is going to be very average all year. The loss of Georges is huge and might cost a couple of wins because there isn't anyone else on the roster that can come close to duplicating his skills. Toivonen, Stanley and Wanzek all look to have bright futures but none of them possess the game-breaking ability that you need to take some of the focus off Santiago.It's going to be a grind all season to score points.

I think the USD quarterback will make some plays, but I'm really not concerned about him having a big day. What I am concerned about is UND taking advantage of all opportunities to put points on the board. UND is just two for five in scoring touchdowns in the red zone this year and has missed two field goals. Can't lose out on scoring opportunities when you lack explosiveness offensively. 

If UND takes advantage of opportunities to score then this game is probably a 27-21 win. If not, then USD has the ability to win the game. 

I think it all comes down to how they start. They showed, even last week, that they CAN move the ball quickly and efficiently. Studs needs to step in and command the offense early to get some rhythm. I think this also falls on the OC to call the right plays early.

If the offense gets going from kick off, we have seen what they are capable of. I'd really like to see them use all of their RBs and really grind down the defense. Has Neverman really played yet? There was a lot of positive chat about him from last year, into this season.

10 hours ago, Yotes said:

Settle down.  You come on here with stupid comments, what do you expect?