SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

3 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

I have to say the logo is growing on me. I own more Fighting Sioux gear than I know what to do with but that is a part of UND history I will always cherish and it will be displayed with pride. However, I do not miss the controversy that was created through the media anytime UND was mentioned. The Sioux Forever chants are getting old as well.

I think what sort of eventually turned me was the black hats Bubba and the football staff wear with the small hawk logo off centered. I think they look sharp.

Don't forget the constant protests and letters by BRIDGES, Indian tribes, and others, anytime someone dressed like an Indian, or had some stupid t-shirt, or did the tomahawk chop. All that is wiped out with the new name and logo. Its sad that the Sioux name/logo ended like it did but that part of UND history is closed and the Fighting Hawk part of UND history is just beginning. I remember the Potato Bowl someone yelled "Let's go Sioux" it lasted 5 seconds and was never heard from again. It seems like the REA is the last place where they want to keep the Sioux name alive, and the most vocal anti-Hawk fanbase we have. Maybe year after year it will change but the REA will have to majorly step up in accepting the Hawk name. Starting with the ice, jerseys, merchandise, PA. Instead of "Here's your UND scoring", try Here's your University of North Dakota Fighting Hawks Scoring". Who cares if the crowd boos when its announced. Say it over, and over and over. They will sound more and more stupid by booing. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

To me, the casual observer, I'd note that now that all the tense energy surrounding the old nickname (waiting for the next court order, or the next flair-up, or the next "incident") is gone, what's happened?

• 2016 Men's National Ice Hockey Champions
  • 2017 Big Sky Volleyball Champions
  • 2017 Big Sky Football Champions
  • 2017 Big Sky Women's Basketball Champions
  • 2017 Big Sky Men's Basketball Champions

And a first ever Men's Basketball appearance in the NCAA Tournament. 
Oh, and now a 15th straight NCAA men's ice hockey tournament appearance. (The name didn't change that. See above.) 

A casually observing cynic might claim that now that the situation is resolved that energy and focus has been redirected to far better things for UND and UND Athletics. 

You may not completely like the resolution, but you can't argue with the results since "Fighting Hawks". 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I hated it when it was picked. I was as big of Roughrider guy as there was out there. I like it now. I cheered let's go hawks in Salt Lake City this past weekend. I have a couple shirts now, and I think the logo looks sharp on them. 

I legitimately think the Ralph's atmosphere will be "great again" when there's more acceptance of the nickname.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

To me, the casual observer, I'd note that now that all the tense energy surrounding the old nickname (waiting for the next court order, or the next flair-up, or the next "incident") is gone, what's happened?

• 2016 Men's National Ice Hockey Champions
  • 2017 Big Sky Volleyball Champions
  • 2017 Big Sky Football Champions
  • 2017 Big Sky Women's Basketball Champions
  • 2017 Big Sky Men's Basketball Champions

And a first ever Men's Basketball appearance in the NCAA Tournament. 
Oh, and now a 15th straight NCAA men's ice hockey tournament appearance. (The name didn't change that. See above.) 

A casually observing cynic might claim that now that the situation is resolved that energy and focus has been redirected to far better things for UND and UND Athletics. 

You may not completely like the resolution, but you can't argue with the results since "Fighting Hawks". 

Nope, it was a complete, 100% coincidence.  All of those things were happening no matter what.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

If only people would have had the foresight to suggest UND could greatly improve their academic and athletic success if they could focus on "UND" instead of the anchor that was around its neck.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ericpnelson said:

I hated it when it was picked. I was as big of Roughrider guy as there was out there. I like it now. I cheered let's go hawks in Salt Lake City this past weekend. I have a couple shirts now, and I think the logo looks sharp on them. 

I legitimately think the Ralph's atmosphere will be "great again" when there's more acceptance of the nickname.

Who said it's not great now?

• Upvote 2

Think of all the success UND would have had so far this year if Roughriders would have been chosen............................................................... a FCS FB NC, a VB NC, Sweet 16 appearance this weekend for MBB and men's hockey would be a given to repeat.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

It may have tamed down from the Fighting Sioux years a bit but to say it's because of a new logo? That's reaching IMO

Cracking down on punishments for students for using profane language/drinking etc. The increased dependency on technology(ie smartphones) for incoming freshman classes every year.

Look, I understand the desire to transition to the Hawks nickname logo but making things up like "The Ralph will be great again" if we all buy new hawk gear and do screech cheers isn't helping the cause.  It's similar to people saying we won a national championship last year because we dropped the Sioux name... no we won because we had an incredible team.

You beat my edit. I just added to my post because it read like I was suggesting that was the cure-all and I didn't mean it that way. My bad on that.

You're 100% correct on smartphones, etc... I think either allowing liquor in seats or closing the bars would be huge too. Interesting to pay that much for a ticket and hang out in the bar all game where you can't see the ice... Maybe I have a different perspective since I drive 5 hours for games though.

1 minute ago, ericpnelson said:

You beat my edit. I just added to my post because it read like I was suggesting that was the cure-all and I didn't mean it that way. My bad on that.

You're 100% correct on smartphones, etc... I think either allowing liquor in seats or closing the bars would be huge too. Interesting to pay that much for a ticket and hang out in the bar all game where you can't see the ice... Maybe I have a different perspective since I drive 5 hours for games though.

A lot of people aren't there to see the ice/game, they're there to be seen.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

Ugh... hate those! There's a person I know who always sends snapchats up in the organ bar with like 5 minutes left in a tie hockey game where all you can see is the scoreboard.

Why even go to the game at all at that point?! People I meet at the games know that if we're in a conversation and my eyes are repeatedly looking at the scoreboard time during intermission that I'm just going to walk away because I'm not missing a second of the game :lol:

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

You're 100% correct on smartphones, etc... I think either allowing liquor in seats or closing the bars would be huge too. Interesting to pay that much for a ticket and hang out in the bar all game where you can't see the ice...Maybe I have a different perspective since I drive 5 hours for games though.

Saw the same thing at TC on Friday night.  Walked out between periods and saw about 20-30 young fans hanging out in the concourse pounding down their beers.  Went back to my seat but had to walk out at the 10:00 mark of the period to use the restroom...same bunch of "fans" still there.  Came out again after another period ending and they were STILL there.  Now, keep in mind, there are no TVs and you have no view from the concrete area ouside the arena.  I couldn't believe it.  Pay $25-$75 per ticket just to hang out in a cold concrete room and booze it up.  Hope you guys had fun!  

• Upvote 1