SiouxSports.com Forum

Top 5 Incoming FR

geaux_sioux

12 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

My feelings as well.   Plus his hudl tape seems to showcase his comfort on offense.  

On the cb front......I hope what I've heard is not true and simply is a rumor.  But if indeed it is, we will need cbs very desperately.  We might need those freshman to grow up in a hurry, including Randolph.  

Here we go again.  The weeks of not saying what it actually is but randomly throwing out general hints.  ???  

18 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

My feelings as well.   Plus his hudl tape seems to showcase his comfort on offense.  

On the cb front......I hope what I've heard is not true and simply is a rumor.  But if indeed it is, we will need cbs very desperately.  We might need those freshman to grow up in a hurry, including Randolph.  

Meaning what? An injury? A departure?

2 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Here we go again.  The weeks of not saying what it actually is but randomly throwing out general hints.  ???  

I'm hopeful it's a rumor.  By no means am I " in the know", just passed down through a friend of mine.  That's why I would take this with a grain of salt.  Reason I even referred to this, and I apologize,  is my earlier reference of using Randoplh as a qb instead of a db.  Randoplh might be more needed at the postion he was recruited, db.   

4 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

I'm hopeful it's a rumor.  By no means am I " in the know", just passed down through a friend of mine.  That's why I would take this with a grain of salt.  Reason I even referred to this, and I apologize,  is my earlier reference of using Randoplh as a qb instead of a db.  Randoplh might be more needed at the postion he was recruited, db.   

...and more rumors and hints.  Great.  :silly:

18 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

CB play was a weak spot last year and, as a result, it was a point of emphasis in spring ball and will continue to be in fall camp. I would imagine the numbers will be iffy but the top 3 or 4 will yet have to be prepared to do big things. Important position group that has a lot of room to grow; looking at Deion Harris, Tyus Carter, Torrey Hunt, Jahmere Irvin-Sills, and Chris Carter to all have an opportunity, along with maybe an incoming freshman or transfer. In the Montana game, Harris, Carter, and Irvin-Sills were all exposed as being deficient in one-on-one deep ball coverage - that needs to improve. Hopefully Hunt and possibly another addition can help that aspect of the defense. 

1 hour ago, Longtime fan said:

What are you hearing on the CB front?

49 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

CB play was a weak spot last year and, as a result, it was a point of emphasis in spring ball and will continue to be in fall camp. I would imagine the numbers will be iffy but the top 3 or 4 will yet have to be prepared to do big things. Important position group that has a lot of room to grow; looking at Deion Harris, Tyus Carter, Torrey Hunt, Jahmere Irvin-Sills, and Chris Carter to all have an opportunity, along with maybe an incoming freshman or transfer. In the Montana game, Harris, Carter, and Irvin-Sills were all exposed as being deficient in one-on-one deep ball coverage - that needs to improve. Hopefully Hunt and possibly another addition can help that aspect of the defense. 

By the next game they were 10x better. 

55 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

By the next game they were 10x better. 

I'll play devil's advocate - because I don't want to get too content - and say the next game the defense allowed 38 points at home. Still work to be done.

Montana's receivers were a tough group; better than what subsequently Montana State, Northern Colorado, and Cal Poly had to offer. Still, if you want to be the best you need to beat the best, even at their place (Washington Griz is a challenging place to play; just ask NDSU). Pass defense is still an area that requires improvement, although all areas need to be worked on and improved to some extent for 2016. 

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I'll play devil's advocate - because I don't want to get too content - and say the next game the defense allowed 38 points at home. Still work to be done.

Montana's receivers were a tough group; better than what subsequently Montana State, Northern Colorado, and Cal Poly had to offer. Still, if you want to be the best you need to beat the best, even at their place (Washington Griz is a challenging place to play; just ask NDSU). Pass defense is still an area that requires improvement, although all areas need to be worked on and improved to some extent for 2016. 

In that Montana game our CBs were in great position for all but one of their TD passes. The only issue was their eyes. The next week they had fixed that issue and it translated into multiple ints.

3 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

What are you hearing on the CB front?

He is probably talking about Irvin-Sills.  Heard he is no longer on the team and was dismissed for whatever reason.

Not a huge loss as he never quite lived up to the hype.  Would have been good for depth, though.  

13 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

He is probably talking about Irvin-Sills.  Heard he is no longer on the team and was dismissed for whatever reason.

Not a huge loss as he never quite lived up to the hype.  Would have been good for depth, though.  

That's a bummer if true, I thought he really cam around over the last few games.

8 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

That's a bummer if true, I thought he really cam around over the last few games.

I hope that is not true. I agree, he started playing better, and wasn't he only going to be a junior? Still a ton of room to grow with him.

10 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

"Playing better" can be related to who you are playing against.  If they would have played EWU in those last couple games he probably wouldn't have been deemed as 'playing well'.  Instead he got UNC and Poly (who doesn't pass).

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

In that Montana game our CBs were in great position for all but one of their TD passes. The only issue was their eyes. The next week they had fixed that issue and it translated into multiple ints.

In my opinion, Montana State, and especially Northern Colorado and Cal Poly, didn't really "re-test" the secondary. We'll find out on September 10th versus Bowling Green how good the secondary really is. If the FBS transfer comes through, it'll help. 

3 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

"Playing better" can be related to who you are playing against.  If they would have played EWU in those last couple games he probably wouldn't have been deemed as 'playing well'.  Instead he got UNC and Poly (who doesn't pass).

Fair point. At the very least he would have added depth so it still hurts.

1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

That's what I had heard, guess it's true then.  I have complete faith in Torrey replacing him and replacing him quite admirably.  Evans shirt will now obviously be pulled and will play significant mins.  Young young young talent!  

Depth chart: two true juniors, 1 true soph and two true fresh.   5 years of experience between the 5.   

Please no injuries!  

11 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Its true...

7 hours ago, UND-1 said:

And yet most on this board are begging for more FBS transfers to fill holes left by FBS transfers that either left or were kicked off the team. Anyboby seeing a trend and figuring out JUCO and FBS transfers are not the way to go? How many transfers have made significant contributions to UND FB the last 3 years? Would those scholarships have been beter utilized developing freshmen? 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

And yet most on this board are begging for more FBS transfers to fill holes left by FBS transfers that either left or were kicked off the team. Anyboby seeing a trend and figuring out JUCO and FBS transfers are not the way to go? How many transfers have made significant contributions to UND FB the last 3 years? Would those scholarships have been beter utilized developing freshmen? 

Braden Hanson and Alex Tillman seemed to work out pretty well. Some turn out, some don't, same as other recruits. It's not the way Bubba is working to build the program but sometimes it is what the staff feels is the best option. 

NDSU will be relying on one at running back and punter this year. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

I'm in agreement with this in general.  UND has taken more chances on FBS transfers and JUCOs due to the shortage in talent Bubba inherited.  I expect the numbers will decline in the future.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Braden Hanson and Alex Tillman seemed to work out pretty well. Some turn out, some don't, same as other recruits. It's not the way Bubba is working to build the program but sometimes it is what the staff feels is the best option. 

NDSU will be relying on one at running back and punter this year. 

I am not saying never take one, maybe one or two a year tops, but if you have 15 to 20 on your roster, it is too many. Frazier is a kid Klieman and NDSU were recruiting whenhe was in high school. They knew him from back then. Thet is a little different than taking a kid that was kicked off his previous schools team.