283 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the new Fighting Hawks logo

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

2 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

A college is business . . . a company of sorts.  Being "alumni" is a great way of promoting their product.  Sports teams are a way of promoting their product.  YES . . . a product.  It's sold just a like a jar of peanut butter.

Honor and loyalty to a school is NOT the same as it was years ago.  Student athletes don't play a sport for "their school" . . . they go to the school that is giving them the best offer, much like any adult working for a company, or like a pro athlete plays for whatever team gives them the best offer.  I've never heard of an athlete turning down a pro contract because he didn't like the teams logo (although, i'm betting it probably happened somewhere)

If an employee talks smack about the company logo and whines about having to wear it on their company polo shirt, that employee will probably be out of work soon after no matter who they think they are.

The lesson of "shut up and get back to work" should sometimes be taught, as well.

Maybe I'm just missing something?  I'd expect fans to react however they may, but I'd expect the "employees" (student athletes) to just roll with it and be happy that they are getting the opportunities that they are getting.

This is basically how I feel as well. Shut up and play. There are thousands who would love to wear that ugly logo and represent UND so don't act entitled.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 12

8 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

A college is business . . . a company of sorts.  Being "alumni" is a great way of promoting their product.  Sports teams are a way of promoting their product.  YES . . . a product.  It's sold just a like a jar of peanut butter.

Honor and loyalty to a school is NOT the same as it was years ago.  Student athletes don't play a sport for "their school" . . . they go to the school that is giving them the best offer, much like any adult working for a company, or like a pro athlete plays for whatever team gives them the best offer.  I've never heard of an athlete turning down a pro contract because he didn't like the teams logo (although, i'm betting it probably happened somewhere)

If an employee talks smack about the company logo and whines about having to wear it on their company polo shirt, that employee will probably be out of work soon after no matter who they think they are.

The lesson of "shut up and get back to work" should sometimes be taught, as well.

Maybe I'm just missing something?  I'd expect fans to react however they may, but I'd expect the "employees" (student athletes) to just roll with it and be happy that they are getting the opportunities that they are getting.

Really? So our student-athletes are employees? Are you sure you want to go there? That is a can of worms I am not going to touch. If a court were to rule in that manner, it would have far-reaching implications and not all of them would be positive.

15 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

This is basically how I feel as well. Shut up and play. There are thousands who would love to wear that ugly logo and represent UND so don't act entitled.

Whoa, hold on there: Shut up and play? There is a group of people from a certain political persuasion that I do not share who likes to b!tch and moan about how "liberal campus speech codes" are taking away our freedoms and liberties. Now, all of a sudden, student-athletes are supposed to "shut up and play"? It can't be both; either college campuses are free speech zones or they aren't. Or does it depend on what speech and who is speaking it?

We don't "own" these young men and women. Most of them could have gone any number of other places. And if they were not here, we wouldn't have teams, players and championships to talk about. We should appreciate them for what they do and not tell them to "shut up" about anything.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, tnt said:

Exactly, are we as alumni and fans supposed to spout the company line as well because it will hurt the university?  And let's talk about leadership!  The leadership that has brought us to the point that so many people do not like the name or logo.  Who actually hurt the university.  

Tom Clifford: he didn't get signed agreements with the tribes and had the best relationships.

No. No ... 

Leigh Jeanotte, rabble-rouser-supreme.

No. No ... 

The NCAA. 

No. No ... 

Wayne Stenehjem? Bob Kelley? The Standing Rock and Spirit Lake tribes? 

I'm through trying to fix the blame (because there's more than enough to go around). 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

And as for a college being a business, that is true.....if you are talking about the University of Phoenix or Southern New Hampshire University or any one of the private, for-profit colleges you see commercials for all the time. UND gets significant state and federal dollars, not just tuition and fees. Last time I checked, a true business exists to make a profit. I don't think UND exists to make a profit; they are just trying to balance the budget every year.

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Whoa, hold on there: Shut up and play? There is a perspective from a certain political persuasion that I do not share who likes to b!tch and moan about how "liberal campus speech codes" are taking away our freedoms and liberties. Now, all of a sudden, student-athletes are supposed to "shut up and play"? It can't be both; either college campuses are free speech zones or they aren't. Or does it depend on what speech and who is speaking it?

We don't "own" these young men and women. Most of them could have gone any number of other places. And if they were not here, we wouldn't have teams, players and championships to talk about. We should appreciate them for what they do and not tell them to "shut up" about anything.

As an athlete you are free to speak your mind and your coach is free to sit your ass on the bench.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

As an athlete you are free to speak your mind and your coach is free to sit your ass on the bench.  

Yeah, a coach is going to sit an athlete for saying something the coaching staff didn't like; I don't think so. Part of college athletics is the need to win games and championships and you don't do that by sitting an athlete for having an unpopular opinion.

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Whoa, hold on there: Shut up and play? There is a perspective from a certain political persuasion that I do not share who likes to b!tch and moan about how "liberal campus speech codes" are taking away our freedoms and liberties. Now, all of a sudden, student-athletes are supposed to "shut up and play"? It can't be both; either college campuses are free speech zones or they aren't. Or does it depend on what speech and who is speaking it?

Geaux-Sioux was a student athlete. I think he realizes they aren't property. 

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Yeah, a coach is going to sit an athlete for saying something the coaching staff didn't like; I don't think so. Part of college athletics is the need to win games and championships and you don't do that by sitting an athlete for having an unpopular opinion.

Question a play call? You'll sit. 

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You apparently don't know how things work on teams. If the coach says to cool it on social media with the new logo then you do that or there will be consequences. No ifs ands or buts. Bubba's guys know what he expects of them on Twitter and all other forms of media. Bubba's the man.

• Upvote 1

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

An opinion on a nickname is not equivalent to questioning a play call during a game. Please come up with a better response than that.

You said, " ... for saying something the coaching staff didn't like ... " 

If Bubba is in "this is done and settled" mode, questioning that is publicly questioning a play call. (I'm not saying you couldn't go to him privately.)

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

You apparently don't know how things work on teams. If the coach says to cool it on social media with the new logo then you do that or there will be consequences. No ifs ands or buts. Bubba's guys know what he expects of them on Twitter and all other forms of media. Bubba's the man.

Well, then I guess Brad Berry is not "the man" because his captain posted some pretty strong stuff on Twitter about this. And I honestly don't have a problem with it.

I don't hate the logo as much as some people on here do, but nobody has to like it.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

"I love it," UND linebacker and team captain Connor O'Brien said. "I think the guys are pretty excited about the new logo. We'll still embrace old traditions—always have—and continue to work hard and maintain that positive attitude with whatever we're doing."

Connor is from Illinois. Came to UND in 2013 I believe. Probably had no idea UND existed prior to 2011 or 2012. Good for him that he "loves it". Wouldn't expect him to say anything different. BTW.......I enjoy watching him play.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

There's no doubt in my mind that we will eventually have a kick ass Hawks logo, just not quite yet. In the mean time I'll support my university and its sports teams just like I always do.

We had the same problem around 6 years ago when the marketing dept tried to do some rebranding when they eliminated some logos and revised some others, One was just atrocious to the point the up roar was such that they revised the revised logo. We also went out of house and paid some idiots to do the work  when we have a graphic arts dept-major that could have done it.

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

Well, then I guess Brad Berry is not "the man" because his captain posted some pretty strong stuff on Twitter about this. And I honestly don't have a problem with it.

The hockey team will clearly continue to hang out in their bunker by themselves. I'll still cheer for them as always but they should join the community some time. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 9

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Or, Berry is letting his team speak his position. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

Part of me wonders if SME regrets ever bidding this job. It was no win. 

$50,000 for a mock up that was bettered by many on this board says they don't regret it.  If they took a job where their hands were tied, then that's on them.

Just now, tnt said:

$50,000 for a mock up that was bettered by many on this board says they don't regret it.  If they took a job where their hands were tied, then that's on them.

They'll cash the check, but this isn't great for their professional reputation and goodwill. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Well, he was talking like student-athletes owe us whatever we demand of them or else, so I think he needs to heal thyself.

I guess I read it more like its a privilege to play here, so why publicly demean the institution that is giving so much to you? And as far as discipline from a coach, they should absolutely sit a player for saying inappropriate things in public. The coaches job is to help these student-athletes be successful. In the real world, you don't get away with insulting your organization. So I agree that the best approach is to "shut up and play". 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

Connor is from Illinois. Came to UND in 2013 I believe. Probably had no idea UND existed prior to 2011 or 2012. Good for him that he "loves it". Wouldn't expect him to say anything different. BTW.......I enjoy watching him play.

His being from Illinois gives him an advantage in this situation. His view of this logo isn't tainted like us locals. But let me make one thing clear, this logo could be a lot better. It could also be as bad as people think it is, which it isn't.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

And don't kid yourself; Bubba may be a class act, but if he doesn't win here he'll be gone just like Mussman was and like Lennon was at SIU.