SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 College Hockey (Non UND Hockey)

cberkas

CC has a great tradition and played a very exciting brand of hockey for years.   They have shown signs this year, and it would be great to get them back in the mix, kind of like the situation with Wisconsin prior to the Granato team hire.   

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, GFG said:

I can't recall where I heard it, but I'm pretty sure somebody said that Lucia is planning on handing the head coaching job to him in the near future. I can't remember where it was...I think it was somebody on KFAN a few weeks ago. Obviously no way to know if that's true or not, but I wouldn't doubt it one bit. I just don't see why Guentzel would have stayed at Minnesota otherwise.

He's two years younger then Lucia, Grant is most likely going to be the heir apparent at Minnesota. 

Guentzel has left Minnesota for a USHL head coaching job and two assist jobs at CC and Omaha.

Just now, cberkas said:

He's two years younger then Lucia, Grant is most likely going to be the heir apparent at Minnesota. 

Guentzel has left Minnesota for a USHL head coaching job and two assist jobs at CC and Omaha.

I know, but why come back as an assistant if head coach is what you truly want? Especially if you have head coaching offers. Unless he just doesn't want to be a head coach, which I'm sure is possible.

I could see Grant getting the job as well. There's been talk that the only reason he doesn't have a head coaching job right now is due to his lack of head coaching experience. If Lucia thinks he can do it and puts in a word to the AD I could see that happening.

47 minutes ago, GFG said:

I can't recall where I heard it, but I'm pretty sure somebody said that Lucia is planning on handing the head coaching job to him in the near future. I can't remember where it was...I think it was somebody on KFAN a few weeks ago. Obviously no way to know if that's true or not, but I wouldn't doubt it one bit. I just don't see why Guentzel would have stayed at Minnesota otherwise.

I've heard the words "near future" and "Guentel" tossed around in the same sentence now for about a decade.  At this rate, Mike will wind up being the one who retires first!  

:lol:

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, GFG said:

I know, but why come back as an assistant if head coach is what you truly want? Especially if you have head coaching offers. Unless he just doesn't want to be a head coach, which I'm sure is possible.

I could see Grant getting the job as well. There's been talk that the only reason he doesn't have a head coaching job right now is due to his lack of head coaching experience. If Lucia thinks he can do it and puts in a word to the AD I could see that happening.

Promoting from within has always worked out for every Minnesota sports team!! ;)

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Grand Forks born and raised kid as head coach of the gophers......

Next you'll see a GF kid scoring the game winner in OT in a huge game wearing a Gopher sweater.  

I've heard some whoppers in my day but this takes the cake.

Next thing you'll say is that he was Captain, too, I suppose.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Next you'll see a GF kid scoring the game winner in OT in a huge game wearing a Gopher sweater.  

Posting that stuff is akin to mentioning Bjorkman in your dad's presence

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, farce poobah said:

I've heard some whoppers in my day but this takes the cake.

Next thing you'll say is that he was Captain, too, I suppose.

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Whose dad wore the Green and White

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Next you'll see a GF kid scoring the game winn

er in OT in a huge game wearing a Gopher sweater.  

5 hours ago, sprig said:

Posting that stuff is akin to mentioning Bjorkman in your dad's presence

48 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

#firerube 

I love the Hoggsbreath inside jokes that pop up on this site from time to time.  :lol:

Remember when Sacred Heart beat Minnesota in the first round of the tournament a few years ago?  That was fun!  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I love the Hoggsbreath inside jokes that pop up on this site from time to time.  :lol:

Remember when Sacred Heart beat Minnesota in the first round of the tournament a few years ago?  That was fun!  

For some reason my dad has been placed on a travel ban and can't go to Worcester Mass.....

On 3/7/2017 at 9:05 PM, siouxweet said:

How did that kid Tage Thompson end up at UConn instead of one of the powers that be out east?

As someone else noted he's from the area.  Also, he's super tall and lanky and was pretty uncoordinated while playing for the NTDP.  While playing for the U18 team he was a 4th liner.  He must have matured a ton from that year to his freshman year.