SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs DU - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

1 hour ago, burd said:

You are right, I'm sure, but that doesn't mean they didn't see the urgency on Friday night. 

The UND team I watched on Friday was not firing on all cylinders. The first line did their thing as did the d but the other three lines were terrible for the most part. I'm not ping to say they didn't care as much but they were certainly flat.

15 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Well based on the effort I saw from both teams it was a game neither had interest in playing in.

really? I thought the boys looked good against a top flight team. The last ten minutes obviously was slightly pedestrian but playing a really good Denver team will benefit us in the long run. Denver is a much better team than NE.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, burd said:

Seems like every time any UND team loses a big game, folks come out and say the players don't care or are soft.   That is an easy, convenient, and simplistic thing to say and usually just made out of frustration.  

I will admit to the frustration.. that hit the nail on my head! But it wasn't an easy or convenient retort - I will give you simplistic! Simplistic only because what other reason is there to rationalize (or at least attempt to) the teams performance this weekend.  My simplistic response was based upon my simplistic notion that they may not have realized that this was as you say, a big game!  Don't get me wrong, I am NOT trying to say (as much as it sounds that way) that they didn't care about winning -albeit, they wanted to win - they just didn't play hard enough to do so. That's like saying we all want to be multimillionaires - but are are we willing to work for it! Nah, not today, I'll have another Bud Lite!

3 hours ago, burd said:

Seems like every time any UND team loses a big game, folks come out and say the players don't care or are soft.   That is an easy, convenient, and simplistic thing to say and usually just made out of frustration.  

The Sioux couldv won every game this year but the games they lost I didn't see a full effort put into. I think if the guys wouldv put "a full 60 in every game this year I'm not sure they wouldv lost one yet, maybe I'm wrong but just my opinion

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

really? I thought the boys looked good against a top flight team. The last ten minutes obviously was slightly pedestrian but playing a really good Denver team will benefit us in the long run. Denver is a much better team than NE.

Are they counted as still being really good without some of their top players?

26 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

The Sioux couldv won every game this year but the games they lost I didn't see a full effort put into. I think if the guys wouldv put "a full 60 in every game this year I'm not sure they wouldv lost one yet, maybe I'm wrong but just my opinion

This team could wind up 40-4 and there will still be those folks saying "yea, if only we'd played a full 60 in those four losses..."

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

The UND team I watched on Friday was not firing on all cylinders. The first line did their thing as did the d but the other three lines were terrible for the most part. I'm not ping to say they didn't care as much but they were certainly flat.

I'd agree, and it is a mystery sometimes what makes teams seem flat.  Sometimes they are just off rhythm.   Sometimes they are just chasing because they are outcoached.  Sometimes it just isn't working.  And yes, sometimes they aren't prepared mentally.   I just don't see Berry's teams as being unprepared at this point.   But I'm watching from a long ways away. 

14 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

This team could wind up 40-4 and there will still be those folks saying "yea, if only we'd played a full 60 in those four losses..."

I don't mind loses but not when they're not putting 110% in the game. And especially this season cuz every team in the top 10 has a pretty awesome record. A few loses hurt this season

Here is my glass half full answer; I would take a loss and a tie and go into the NCAA tourney with a full compliment of "healthy" players versus running away with the tourney and feeling comfortable with how the team is playing but lose a key piece to the puzzle. Or it could be like last year where we were not good in the NCHC tourney and dealing with the lose of Mark Mac. 

21 hours ago, Fetch said:

Who would trade a Penrose for a Frozen Faceoff trophy ?

Not me.  Frozen Faceoff trophy can mean you got hot for 2 games to win it.  To win the Penrose you were the best team for a full conference season. (can't be hot/lucky over a full season to win that). 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, burd said:

Can't imagine who would, just as the McNaughton brought a lot more respect than the Broadmoor. 

Which is why they hang banners for the conference championship but not for the conference playoff championships