SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ UNO - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

4 hours ago, chicofelipe said:

Are the locations of the blue lines not specified by regulation? Neutral zone is like 2 strides.

You would think they would be but I guess they're not regulated based on what UNO has.  Tim Hennessey said on radio pre-game show that the neutral zone there is small and that it might cause off-side issues with UND players.  Yah, it's very noticeable.   

4 hours ago, Cratter said:

UND was on fire right before the break, they seem to have definitely come back down to earth lately. 

Yah, you make a point.  Before tonight's game I checked and in last 10 games Sioux were 6W/3L/1T with 31 goals for and 24 goals against.  Certainly respectable but not season 1st half numbers.  When you factor in that 6 of those 10 games were against CC (improved team lately but still in Univ Wis territory record-wise the last 1-3/4 seasons), W. Mich (play UND tough but having a poor season) and Duluth (have talent/play close but their record is what it is) that record doesn't overwhelm you and nor does the goal differential.  Tonight definitely an improvement though with good win on the road against a struggling but quality opponent!  Let's hope it continues. 

• Upvote 1

It's amazing we could go in to face Dean's 12th ranked team in their own barn after they've been swept, without Stecher, take a 5, and win.  This D!   And how many soft goals has Cam let in this year?   We got far more softies from Zane, the guy who we thought was the standard in recent years.   Amazing. 

A couple of comments about UNO.   I know it's hard to evaluate play when you're not in the rink because  you don't see play away from the puck or get a true appreciation for defensive play, but boy, can Guentzel play.   He can maintain possession, snipe, and dish the puck.  Has a battery like Parise's.   I also like the way fellow Nodak, Morelli, plays--good speed, never gives up, solid on the forecheck.    CBS missed some opportunities last night, but UNO missed some wide open nets too.  

Very entertaining, up-tempo hockey game.   Winning Friday night on the road is so nice for fans--assured split, which is the usual result, and a chance for the road sweep.  That's one thing that always strikes me about the way we react to outcomes.  The boys played very well last night, but had UNO capitalized on a few of their chances, that could have just as easily been a loss.   Then, with the same play but a different result, we would have been talking about the negatives from last night.  Just the way we are, I guess.  Thank Parise we have a team that doesn't put us in that position very often.  

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Only had radio to go by tonight but seemed like a pretty solid game. UNO was lucky to get out of the 1st up 1 seemed like the Sioux generated a lot of chances just couldn't quite finish on any of them. Big goal early in the 2nd by Poolman and seemed like after that UND really controlled puck possession. The kill of Johnson's major was huge and didn't give UNO any life at all. Get Stecher back in the lineup tomorrow and I'd like to see Gersich in for someone too and go finish the job.

Agree with all of this. #19 in over #18 tonight. I know #18 is from Omaha but he has done nothing for weeks.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Luke Johnson is definately the worst since Joe Finley. Do the coaches realize the team won't miss him if they sit him for a weekend?

You mean the guy who fans want benched despite being top 6 in goals on a team that lacks secondary scoring and the staff trusts the most to take face-offs has replaced the guy who became the fan whipping boy mainly because he got hung out to dry all the time by his defensive partner? 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, ringneck28 said:

Yeah, she is the UND student, who happens to be my cousin.  She was in a bad car accident with a drunk driver.  She is in Omaha recovering.  Team met with her yesterday. 

For those who don't know the backstory:

http://bismarcktribune.com/news/local/shayna-monson-recovering-slowly-after-june-crash/article_54112e02-725d-5a1c-a345-364d4735e785.html

I have no pity, sympathy, or mercy for drunk drivers.

• Upvote 1

Observations from the game.

1.  Baxter arena is between okay and nice.  Like it better than Amsoil, but they definitely cut corners in some spots.  It looks bright and shiny now, but there is some cheap sheetrock that is going to start looking old in a hurry.  Not enough restrooms, but they are good sized.

2.  While Caggiula and Schmaltz are back from their injuries, they clearly have not been at 100%.  Last night their were flashes of the old CBS line, especially as the game went on.  UND started slow but picked it up as time went on.  After being down 7-2 in shots, they outshot UNO the rest of the way and their zone riding time improved.

3.  The whole team put together a great defensive effort.  So many times UNO was trying to make cross ice passes and a UND stick or player got in the way and deflected or intercepted the pass.

4.  The LJ haters are out because of the 5 minute major.  Did not get a good look at it because it was at the opposite end of the ice.  Prior to that point LJ was a pretty dominant player on the ice.  And most of the time he is skating against the other teams top line.

5.  Poganski - The guy is simply becoming a very good player.  He was on the ice for all first three goals, and while he didn't get an assist on all of them he was a critical part of it.

6.  This game had nastiness.  A good set of refs could have been sending guys to the sin bin all night.  Lots of missed stuff.

7.  Rather than joy at winning I came away from the game with a sense of relief.  Clearly saw indications of the team getting back to its pre-Christmas mojo.

8.  Thank you UMD.  Now if UND can take care of business tonight, they will look pretty good.

• Upvote 2

I find it incredibly hypocritical of Blais to whine about teams who play on the big sheet of ice as having a home ice advantage when here they design their rink to have both penalty boxes on the same side of the rink as Omaha's bench.  

I wrote a letter to the editor about this a few months ago. The SC Times, GF Herald, and C Spgs Gazette printed it but not the Omaha Herald. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I find it incredibly hypocritical of Blais to whine about teams who play on the big sheet of ice as having a home ice advantage when here they design their rink to have both penalty boxes on the same side of the rink as Omaha's bench.  

I wrote a letter to the editor about this a few months ago. The SC Times, GF Herald, and C Spgs Gazette printed it but not the Omaha Herald. 

That pbox arrangement is odd, especially when you see Omaha come out one door and enter another.  Guess there's no standard for it.