SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ UNO - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

Went to the game last night just a few observations of the arena. It's nice and shiny but the ice sheet seems awfully small. The benches on opposite sides is odd and it's like they tried to hard to get a hometown advantage.

I know it is a new arena but every UNO fan I talked to asked "how do you like our new arena?"  It got old getting that question in every conversation. 

They sure worked hard to keep the Sioux fans out of the building. Spoke with several people who said that to me and were shocked by the amount of "green people" who made it into the building. 

The newness of this arena will wear off and it will be like the Century Link center in no time where you can get tickets the week before the game with no problem.   

Other than that. Go Sioux! And let's get the sweep tonight. And yes. Your new arena is nice.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

For those who don't know the backstory:

http://bismarcktribune.com/news/local/shayna-monson-recovering-slowly-after-june-crash/article_54112e02-725d-5a1c-a345-364d4735e785.html

I have no pity, sympathy, or mercy for drunk drivers.

Thank you for posting this.  The family appreciates everything that the UND family has done for Shayna.  She has a very long road to go.  There may be some on her during the game tonight.  I have been talking with Pat Micheletti and if the producers allow it, they will cover her story.

Just talked with someone who bumped into some of the coaches this morning.  A discussion after the game with the head of officials last night indicated no supplemental disciplinary action for Luke Johnson.  Also, the hit that resulted in the 5 minute major is a tough one to coach.  The UNO player bent over and thus put himself in a vulnerable position, and at the speed of the game it is tough to adjust for that.  It sounded like the coaches do not place much, if any, blame on LJ.

I also talked with a UND fan from Denver who tried to get tickets to this series online and by telephone and just got the runaround.  He wound up calling the NCHC office and complained about these tactics that make it difficult for opposing team fans to get tickets to the game.  Within an hour he had a call from the UNO ticket office and they sold him tickets.  It sounds like these tactics are becoming a big discussion item at the conference level.

2 hours ago, Siouxman said:

I also talked with a UND fan from Denver who tried to get tickets to this series online and by telephone and just got the runaround.  He wound up calling the NCHC office and complained about these tactics that make it difficult for opposing team fans to get tickets to the game.  Within an hour he had a call from the UNO ticket office and they sold him tickets.  It sounds like these tactics are becoming a big discussion item at the conference level.

College Hockey Redlining.

22 hours ago, cberkas said:

Luke is the biggest idiot.

22 hours ago, omahasioux1 said:

Luke needs to learn to use what little brain he has.

22 hours ago, bcblues said:

What do you expect from a recreation and tourism major.....

Who wouldn't want to come to UND and play in front of "The greatest fans in college hockey" such as these ones?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

I will say Luke does take dumb penalties as seemingly inopportune times, but he's a work horse, and a decent faceoff guy who would certainly be missed, because unfortunately there isn't anyone who can replace him. 

Me too.   His faults are obvious, but he contributes a lot too.   Like in most lines of work, if you can be counted on to work hard all the time, that goes a long way.

• Upvote 1

I like Luke and there are moments where he is the best player on the ice but there are also moments where he is the worst player on the ice. His bipolar play can be very frustrating but I think the good Luke outweighs the bad Luke. If we are going to win it all this year, we are going to need a lot of the good Luke as he is the best non-CBS forward IMO.

2 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

I like Luke and there are moments where he is the best player on the ice but there are also moments where he is the worst player on the ice. His bipolar play can be very frustrating but I think the good Luke outweighs the bad Luke. If we are going to win it all this year, we are going to need a lot of the good Luke as he is the best non-CBS forward IMO.

You know, I've bashed him once or twice here but you just might have point. 

12 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

Pogo, IMO, but he's certainly right there. You hit it on the head, though. Good Luke is a player we need to make a run and No. 8 and if that means we get a little bit of the bad, so be it. He's too good in too many phases not to have him on there.

Last night was the best I've seen Luke look all season. Hard to take off the puck. Played physical but not over the edge, and played smart. If that kid continues last night's play for the remainder of the push that entire line will be difficult for anyone to deal with, nearly on par with CBS.

• Upvote 3