SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ UNO

AZSIOUX

45 minutes ago, tnt said:

Like I said before, nothing out of the ordinary for a 5 minute major, but since it happened at the end they feel they need to give him something.  If that is the case, then why does Neil Pionk get off with nothing for his 10 minute misconduct for verbal abuse of an official.  How about some consistency.  

Now you're asking for a miracle. The whole NCHC's reffing system is a joke. Why couldn't don adams and his bunch of cronies go to the small 6. They're all Minnesota fans anyways.

I'm not going to completely bash the official for the Stecher call. It was a stupid hit to make, at a very stupid time to make it. Particularly for a guy who typically doesn't make that kind of play. It certainly wasn't a huge (Paukovich/Bina) type hit from behind, but it was definitely into the back and close enough to the boards to make it a borderline suspension call. If the roles were reversed, at least half of the posters on here would have been calling for an immediate suspension.

I hate losing stecher, but I can certainly understand the call. We certainly aren't the first team to get the wrong side of a borderline call. Duluth fans were up in arms about the OT penalty shot on Friday, and I have to agree with them. Again, if the roles were reversed, I would have been irate about that being a penalty shot. It was a trip, but I don't think it was worthy of a penalty shot. Nevertheless, the teams and players need to make the most of opportunities regardless of the call, which Pogo did. As for this weekend ... next man up.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I'm not going to completely bash the official for the Stecher call. It was a stupid hit to make, at a very stupid time to make it. Particularly for a guy who typically doesn't make that kind of play. It certainly wasn't a huge (Paukovich/Bina) type hit from behind, but it was definitely into the back and close enough to the boards to make it a borderline suspension call. If the roles were reversed, at least half of the posters on here would have been calling for an immediate suspension.

I hate losing stecher, but I can certainly understand the call. We certainly aren't the first team to get the wrong side of a borderline call. Duluth fans were up in arms about the OT penalty shot on Friday, and I have to agree with them. Again, if the roles were reversed, I would have been irate about that being a penalty shot. It was a trip, but I don't think it was worthy of a penalty shot. Nevertheless, the teams and players need to make the most of opportunities regardless of the call, which Pogo did. As for this weekend ... next man up.

For me, I won't call it a stupid time.  I like the fact that Stecher plays up until the whistle, because we have had too many circumstances at the end of periods and games where you think you're safe and one small play would have prevented a late goal.  That is Troy Stecher in a nutshell, hard-nosed until the end. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tnt said:

For me, I won't call it a stupid time.  I like the fact that Stecher plays up until the whistle, because we have had too many circumstances at the end of periods and games where you think you're safe and one small play would have prevented a late goal.  That is Troy Stecher in a nutshell, hard-nosed until the end. 

Hard nosed I'm fine with. Playing the body over the puck in the right situation I'm fine with. Putting your stick into a guys back near the boards isn't a smart play. Especially the way the league has cracked down on CFB is just not smart. Potentially save your team one night, just to risk them by being suspended. I'm also not trying to bash on Stecher here. Its not like he is out there taking bad penalties on a frequent basis, which made it all the more surprising. Hate losing him, but we have enough depth that we should be fine. I'm more concerned about seeing our guys get the scoring touch back.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 10:03 PM, siouxstudent said:

Such a big series. I hope these games are on TV somehow. I did see the WDAZ Extra is picking up the Saturday game. Perhaps I will need to get some rabbit ears for that as I have Directv? Only seeing NCHC.tv for the Friday game though. Did I mention how badly I want to sweep these guys in their own barn. UNO seems to play extra tough against us. Their fans already think they are getting 1 if not 2 wins this weekend. I hope that is not the case. However Ill say this series is a split.

I thought I heard it was on ASN on Saturday.

2 hours ago, siouxstudent said:

Someone has to pick up the Friday game right? Seems odd for such a huge game to have little coverage.

Unless you are in Omaha, they have nothing for coverage down there.  I find it funny that Midco bends over backwards for all these other towns when they come into GF, yet they do nothing for UND fans in return.

5 hours ago, ringneck28 said:

Unless you are in Omaha, they have nothing for coverage down there.  I find it funny that Midco bends over backwards for all these other towns when they come into GF, yet they do nothing for UND fans in return.

Sounds like my only option is the $15 single game pass for the game Friday....Seems high for one game

Hey boys, for those of you traveling to Omaha this weekend, have fun. I was there on Saturday for the SCSU game. My notes...

• Weather was great. Everything was walking distance. Good time.

• Stayed at the Marriott Courtyard, also where SCSU was staying. Short walk to multiple bars and the arena.

• Lots of budget hotels on the south side of the arena, but fewer bars.

• D.J.'s Dugout was the place to be pregame. Filled up by 4:30 with a long line by 5:15.

• Dudley's was nice too, but was neither a sports bar nor a dive bar. No niche might hurt them. Friendliest staff in town though! Good folks.

• Pauli's is just a plain old bar. It's small and gets full, but I honestly don't get the appeal. It was full though. Those were the only three places we visited.

• All of the establishments are new, which is fine, but they lack the charm of a small town "bar district". Kinda sterile. Not like a Canal Park or a State Street at all.

• I really like the arena. In a few ways, I liked it better than the REA *ducks*. Tons better than the HBNHC if that makes up for my blasphemy at all. It has a pro feel, unlike the REA which has a well done college feel.

• The whole setup of the area was great. As far as setups go, I like Duluth, Madison, Omaha, and Mankato in that order. Duluth and Madison have the charm. Mankato just lacks the fan support.

That's about it! Hope you have a good time, other than enjoying the results of the game. ;)

On 2/23/2016 at 1:10 PM, siouxstudent said:

Yes ASN, WDAY-Extra , Directv and NCHC.tv All on Saturday. The problem is Friday as only NCHC.tv carrying it as of now.

I talked to Jayson today, and apparently Saturday's game is all over DirecTV. I'll look into it further. I know one of the DTV channels is DirecTV. 

I hope Stecher does not come back feeling he needs to play down to Refs level of thinking

This kid is so ready to totally bust out & become a extremely  great player

He has abilities that we were just starting to see

Troy we want u to be all u can be & in becoming  special u will make mistakes  - just learn from them & move way beyond them 

I hope this entire team says we are going to kick azz & play exceptional here on out

Edited by Fetch
Add

27 minutes ago, Fetch said:

I hope Stecher does not come back feeling he needs to play down to Refs level of thinking

This kid is so ready to totally bust out & become a extremely  great player

He has abilities that we were just starting to see

Troy we want u to be all u can be & in becoming  special u will make mistakes  - just learn from them & move way beyond them 

I hope this entire team says we are going to kick azz & play exceptional here on out

But don't check from behind.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Exiled One said:

Hey boys, for those of you traveling to Omaha this weekend, have fun. I was there on Saturday for the SCSU game. My notes...

• Weather was great. Everything was walking distance. Good time.

• Stayed at the Marriott Courtyard, also where SCSU was staying. Short walk to multiple bars and the arena.

• Lots of budget hotels on the south side of the arena, but fewer bars.

• D.J.'s Dugout was the place to be pregame. Filled up by 4:30 with a long line by 5:15.

• Dudley's was nice too, but was neither a sports bar nor a dive bar. No niche might hurt them. Friendliest staff in town though! Good folks.

• Pauli's is just a plain old bar. It's small and gets full, but I honestly don't get the appeal. It was full though. Those were the only three places we visited.

• All of the establishments are new, which is fine, but they lack the charm of a small town "bar district". Kinda sterile. Not like a Canal Park or a State Street at all.

• I really like the arena. In a few ways, I liked it better than the REA *ducks*. Tons better than the HBNHC if that makes up for my blasphemy at all. It has a pro feel, unlike the REA which has a well done college feel.

• The whole setup of the area was great. As far as setups go, I like Duluth, Madison, Omaha, and Mankato in that order. Duluth and Madison have the charm. Mankato just lacks the fan support.

That's about it! Hope you have a good time, other than enjoying the results of the game. ;)

The only reason to go to Pauli's would be that is that local Sioux fans in the Omaha area are having a pre-game and watch party there both nights with green beer and a food truck. Starts at 5:30 for both nights.

Per Schloss Chyzyk and St Clair will be available this weekend. Lines will probably be:

CBS

Chyzyk LJ Pogo

(I don't think LJ is a top 6 guy and IMO is suited better at wing but Berry will have him here)

Gersich Simo JJ

Gardner Sanderson Olson

With what I have above I think UND has 3 lines set for the rest of the year barring injury. 3rd line is the line in flux. At this point Wilke sits. Top 6 guy who has not produced to date and where do you put St Clair? 4th line above IMO was the most consistent line vs UMD and you keep them together. I could go with swapping St Clair for JJ on 3rd line though. I like Gersich a lot.

Don't forget there are both a pre-game and a watch party happening at Pauli's in Arksarben Village across from the arena both Friday and Saturday nights starting at 530. Free parking. Food truck. All-day happy hour. Green beer. And it is the only place to stream the game if you do not have a ticket.

Pretty amazing that our last opponent, UMD, and our next opponent, UNO, have both been swept 4 times by conference opponents so far this year.   4 times.  

If that happened in GF, lots of fans would be demanding we fire ___________ and try to get Sandy or Deano back.    

OK, OK.  Just having fun . . .

Hopefully we can make that 5 for Dean.  

• Upvote 2