SiouxSports.com Forum

huh - well thats interesting

SiouxFan in DU Country

8 minutes ago, londonknight said:

Pleasing the fanbase.  What does that mean? Te palce was built when.  Same year sauce broke the tackle.  20 years now....dusty up there..

Pleasing the fan base at this moment would mean removing u - ur an idiot not funny in the least

1 hour ago, Fetch said:

So this amazing D we have don't have much else to prove here - Just waiting another year before they move on up

Is correcting this on the Captains or Coaches or Both ?

Seems the teams that have been winning national championships have one or 2 good players & a bunch of hard workers who kept getting better

I don't think a team loaded with NHL Draft choices is the right formula - I'd love to be wrong 

Not to just point you out Fetch, but I find these posts to be some of the most idiotic things I read. Do you really think the guys on the team don't care about winning a championship? Do you think they are going to magically move on to the next level without improving every year? Does having talent mean you can't be a hard worker? Well which one does Toews have, hard work or talent? Same with Parise. 

Take a look at every national champion in the 2000's. Every single one of them had a future NHL player. Most of them had multiple guys go on to the NHL. Look at those BC rosters, or 2006 Wisconsin roster, or the Denver roster in those back to back years, or 2009 BU. Just because Yale won it 3 years ago, it doesn't all of a sudden mean their way is the only way to win. They are much more the exception than the rule.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Fetch said:

Must be the altitude then :silly:

Or, here's a possibility, Denver is a good team that played well in their home arena after getting embarrassed in Grand Forks earlier this year. Wait, that can't be it. Only UND's play decides the outcome of games. If UND could play an average game every game they would never lose again. There has to be some extenuating circumstance for why we were swept by a good team at their rink.

Just now, UND-RedSox fan said:

Or, here's a possibility, Denver is a good team that played well in their home arena after getting embarrassed in Grand Forks earlier this year. Wait, that can't be it. Only UND's play decides the outcome of games. If UND could play an average game every game they would never lose again. There has to be some extenuating circumstance for why we were swept by a good team at their rink.

How many draft picks do they have ?

2 hours ago, GDPritch said:

I certainly agree with you, I got to view the Fri game but not the Sat game and can't put the losses on Cam as on most goals he was one on one.  My only thought though is that despite the deficiencies in the defensive play that Cam never really came up with any big saves (e.g. DU breakaway Sat night for 3rd goal) to minimize the damage and keep the team in it (which he's done earlier this season).  Maybe I missed a few of those saves, if so I'll stand corrected.   

I can't argue with your assessment regarding Cam.  With that being said, I think Tomek should be given some work to see what we have there.  From reading an earlier post from Goon, he looked sharp at one of the practices he must have attended lately.  With his pedigree he may be able to make those big saves that we need to win the Natty.

Just now, Fetch said:

How many draft picks do they have ?

Denver? Don't know and don't care. How many have legitimate shots at NHL futures? Gambrell, Heinen, Moore, Zajac, and Butcher all definitely will have a shot. Maybe more, but I don't know. 

Regardless it doesn't matter. If draft picks were all that mattered it would be UND, Minnesota, BC, and Michigan at every single frozen 4. My point is that recruiting the best players you can get to come to UND is not a recipe for disaster like you try to make it sound. It is quite the opposite. 

15 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

^^^^^^This

Seems to me this is like most years with our goaltenders.  Reliant on his defense to block/smother everything and maybe make 2-3 big saves with the rest being east.  Well, this weekend they didn't smother anything and the goalie was exposed.  Couldn't stop any point blank shots.  

Am I seeing it correctly where the UND defense is what wins them games, not the goalie?

I've seen this show for 10 years straight now.  Hoping the playoffs go differently this year, somehow.

26 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

How come they got so much better & we didn't ?

• Downvote 3

Just now, Fetch said:

How come they got so much better & we didn't ?

Because they didn't...

They played better than we did this weekend. !@#$ happens. They are more or less the same team they were in December and we are the same team we were in December. If we played Denver 100 times each team would probably win 45 times with 10 ties. In those 100 games there would be games where UND looked far superior and games where Denver looked superior just like we've seen this season. There isn't some big underlying reason that this weekend's games ended the way they did. It was two teams that are both good and one team just so happened to win both games. It would be like flipping a coin 2 times in December and getting heads both times and then flipping the same coin again in February and getting two tails. What changed with coin flipping between December and February? Nothing!

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Seems to me this is like most years with our goaltenders.  Reliant on his defense to block/smother everything and maybe make 2-3 big saves with the rest being east.  Well, this weekend they didn't smother anything and the goalie was exposed.  Couldn't stop any point blank shots.  

Am I seeing it correctly where the UND defense is what wins them games, not the goalie?

I've seen this show for 10 years straight now.  Hoping the playoffs go differently this year, somehow.

The last couple years with Zane we had a goalie capable of stealing games and making huge saves when we needed them. He did that against Ferris State to get us to the Frozen Four a couple years ago. Last year he did have one of his worst games in the Frozen Four but he was definitely a goalie capable of bailing out the team in front of him. I don't know if Cam has really done that yet this year and if he can or not. For the most part the team in front of him has done a pretty good job of keeping teams to the outside and limiting quality chances from the high percentage scoring areas.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GDPritch said:

I certainly agree with you, I got to view the Fri game but not the Sat game and can't put the losses on Cam as on most goals he was one on one.  My only thought though is that despite the deficiencies in the defensive play that Cam never really came up with any big saves (e.g. DU breakaway Sat night for 3rd goal) to minimize the damage and keep the team in it (which he's done earlier this season).  Maybe I missed a few of those saves, if so I'll stand corrected.   

That is a good point. I didn't see the Saturday game either so maybe he made some good saves.

3 hours ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

Not to just point you out Fetch, but I find these posts to be some of the most idiotic things I read. Do you really think the guys on the team don't care about winning a championship? Do you think they are going to magically move on to the next level without improving every year? Does having talent mean you can't be a hard worker? Well which one does Toews have, hard work or talent? Same with Parise. 

Take a look at every national champion in the 2000's. Every single one of them had a future NHL player. Most of them had multiple guys go on to the NHL. Look at those BC rosters, or 2006 Wisconsin roster, or the Denver roster in those back to back years, or 2009 BU. Just because Yale won it 3 years ago, it doesn't all of a sudden mean their way is the only way to win. They are much more the exception than the rule.

Umm und-redsox fan 

It's hard to accept ur comments since ur a fan of of a team that only wins the big one a couple times a lifetime

U might think once a decade is something to be proud of - not me I want to win it every year :silly:

• Downvote 1