SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (7-4) @ EWU (7-4)

SWSiouxMN

Actually impressed we only lost by 10 with how we played. If not for ewu raining 3s early we might have taken that one. Not a great loss, but if we beat idaho, it'll be an ok trip. EWU blog is talking about running the table which I dont see happening either. At this point we need to get some wins and go into reno hot.

7 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Actually impressed we only lost by 10 with how we played. If not for ewu raining 3s early we might have taken that one. Not a great loss, but if we beat idaho, it'll be an ok trip. EWU blog is talking about running the table which I dont see happening either. At this point we need to get some wins and go into reno hot.

EWU is taking over where Weber St left off, very tough at home and they could be the team to beat in the tournament. A win would've been nice but it's nothing to kick the dog about. Time to move on and beat Idaho to get that momentum back.

The only positives out of this game were our compete level and the fact we didn't panic. As far as the game goes, about everything that could go right for EWU did and everything that could go wrong(foul trouble, missing numerous shots through contact at the rim, etc.) for UND did and we kept after it. This is a game that in the past might have snowballed into a 30-35 point loss.

11 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Seriously, can we get rid of shanks. He really has done nothing of value. Every time he touchest the ball there is a mistake or a bad play. He seems way to slow to play at this level.

I missed the game last night so can't comment on it.   But, given Shanks performance and limited minutes, I wonder if Jones will consider having Avants start.   On the one hand it's nice to have a scorer come in fresh as the sixth man, but on the other hand, oftentimes Avants comes in two minutes in to the game or half, and is expected to play 10 + minutes straight, gets a breather, and then finishes the half or game.   It would be nice to see Shanks come in twice in relief of Avants to spread out Avants minutes better.  

There were times last night that the guys didn't play the team basketball we have become used to seeing the last couple of weeks.  Hoping they can learn from this tape, get coached up on what went wrong and move on.  Get a win on Saturday vs. Idaho and a top 4 seed is still very realistic.  

12 hours ago, Cratter said:

Anytime UND starts trailing by more than five on the road....games over. 

UND was down 10 to Bradley in the second half and came back to win. I think this team is still learning how to react to different situations and I can say that I haven't seen any sort of "quit" from them even when they go down. Can't say I agree with your assessment.

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I missed the game last night so can't comment on it.   But, given Shanks performance and limited minutes, I wonder if Jones will consider having Avants start.   On the one hand it's nice to have a scorer come in fresh as the sixth man, but on the other hand, oftentimes Avants comes in two minutes in to the game or half, and is expected to play 10 + minutes straight, gets a breather, and then finishes the half or game.   It would be nice to see Shanks come in twice in relief of Avants to spread out Avants minutes better.  

It was really bad. I know some people have speculated that he starts to try to win the tip, but he can't even do that. I think he is just too slow. Then he had 2 fouls about 2 minutes into the game and went to the bench. Came back on the court a little later for about a minute and took another foul. You can see just how much the kid is struggling by the look on his face.

I feel bad for him because he looks so frustrated out there, but I think he is a kid who probably had a lot of success because of his height, and now can't keep up with the speed of the game.

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

UND was down 10 to Bradley in the second half and came back to win. I think this team is still learning how to react to different situations and I can say that I haven't seen any sort of "quit" from them even when they go down. Can't say I agree with your assessment.

There are exceptions when you are playing one of the worse teams in college basketball and force OT.