SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Fighting Hawks vs. UAH Chargers - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

boys need to pick it up. It appears the break has hit them bit. At this rate the U18 team will be tough.

Let's hope so!

At least the part about the U18s.  We NEED some good stiff competition to fire up the boys.  I think they look better than last night, but we have Omaha coming up and we need to be firing on all cylinders. 

Wilke had his best game in a long time. Gornall look OK for his first game. Keaton had a night he probably wishes he could forget........and when is this team going to get anything from LJ?

• Upvote 1

I thought Gornall brought some game last night. LJ is what he is, and I've grown OK with that--more positive than negative as long as he doesn't commit any dumb penalties--something Caggiula tried to do last night but didn't get caught.  Not very characteristic of him--the goalie must have done something.  The one I'm waiting for to bust loose is Gersich. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Wilke had his best game in a long time. Gornall look OK for his first game. Keaton had a night he probably wishes he could forget........and when is this team going to get anything from LJ?

I agree with burd, I think this is what LJ is. And he's right, he's not taking too many offensive zone stick penalties. Shocking, as he's pretty much been the exact same player since his frosh year. Not much growth offensively. It's due to his skating.

3 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I agree with burd, I think this is what LJ is. And he's right, he's not taking too many offensive zone stick penalties. Shocking, as he's pretty much been the exact same player since his frosh year. Not much growth offensively. It's due to his skating.

Exactly.  I can handle LJ being blah so long as he isn't taking stupid stick penalties.

I thought Gornall played well last night.  I can only imagine how intimidating it is to play your first game in the Ralph, but he had some decent jump.  There seemed to be some chemistry between him, Sanderson, and Wolanin.

So glad to see Chyzyk back on the board.  Hopefully he can return to early season form now that he's gotten a couple.

And lastly, how sweet was Poolman's snipe to end the game?  Getting goals from two defensemen, and one of them a clean snipe, is great.

3 hours ago, burd said:

I thought Gornall brought some game last night. LJ is what he is, and I've grown OK with that--more positive than negative as long as he doesn't commit any dumb penalties--something Caggiula tried to do last night but didn't get caught.  Not very characteristic of him--the goalie must have done something.  The one I'm waiting for to bust loose is Gersich. 

I think LJ needs to play the 3rd or 4th line, he isnt doing enough to play a top 6 roll. Maybe Gersich needs to be on a line with a play maker or with Caggiula or Chyzyk. He looked pretty good when he started the year with Schmaltz and Boesser. 

Caggiula hit the goalies stick because the goalie started lifting Caggs stick with his own. Maybe he thought he could piss Caggs off and draw a penalty

2 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

I think LJ needs to play the 3rd or 4th line, he isnt doing enough to play a top 6 roll. Maybe Gersich needs to be on a line with a play maker or with Caggiula or Chyzyk. He looked pretty good when he started the year with Schmaltz and Boesser. 

Caggiula hit the goalies stick because the goalie started lifting Caggs stick with his own. Maybe he thought he could piss Caggs off and draw a penalty

I thought Gersich had a decent game on Friday from my vantage point. Nothing to show for it, but created some nice opportunities with Olson. Obviously he would probably produce more offensively on a line with the guys you mentioned, but he's probably where he's at to try to create some offense in the lower lines.

I think Luke adds to the lineup, as long as he avoids the dumb penalty.  He plays with energy and can shoot the puck.  We know what his ceiling is, but that's true of a fair number of players on any team.     That said, he's one who should sit for a while when he commits a stupid penalty, just to keep him focused.   Avoiding unnecessary penalties becomes so important in tournament play.