SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Rudolph Save Season

geaux_sioux

UNC made a couple adjustments at half.  After the first two UND series after half time, Bubba put in the 2's and some 3's.  Would have been nice to keep UNC scoreless but those reps in a game situation are very valuable for the program, gives starters a rest and no chance of getting hurt.  Bubba did the right thing and if he hadn't, there would be people complaining about that too.

Fire Rudolph, sit Studsrud, start Bartels and mollberg, Bubba Ball is awful, don't pull the shirts off kids....blah blah blah....you can go over and over and over all the amazing things said here throughout the year.

This place and others like it:  where misguided passion for a team to be successful turns to fanatical idiocy.  Some have an innate ability to find the worst and negative in any positive situation and will turn on a dime if things don't go right.

But hey, If nothing else, it's humorous.

Regardless of the outcome this Saturday and beyond this season, I am so friggin' excited about the future of this program right now that it makes me giddy like a little kid.

Love the 'tongue in cheek' post!!

GO UND!!!

Slow clap!

Most of the time it's not the Xs and Os, it's the Jimmys and Joes.

Shoulda scored like at least 60 on Saturday. 

Heaven knows we may have scored that and more had we played the starters all the way.  But what a blessing it was to be able to not only give the starters a rest, but to also give some PT to the second and third stringers who have also been working their tails off all season and help make them feel more a part of the team.

• Upvote 1

Heaven knows we may have scored that and more had we played the starters all the way.  But what a blessing it was to be able to not only give the starters a rest, but to also give some PT to the second and third stringers who have also been working their tails off all season and help make them feel more a part of the team.

Really good to see Iwarri Smith have a nice game. We'll likely need him quite a bit going forward. I think his biggest issue early in the season was confidence. I hope to see him at WR next year, but he still has plenty of time to make a big running impact this year. Same for Norberg, it was nice to see him pound the rock, and he will likely play more of an Oliveira type role.

• Upvote 1

Really good to see Iwarri Smith have a nice game. We'll likely need him quite a bit going forward. I think his biggest issue early in the season was confidence. I hope to see him at WR next year, but he still has plenty of time to make a big running impact this year. Same for Norberg, it was nice to see him pound the rock, and he will likely play more of an Oliveira type role.

While I agree, I still am not sold on him at running back for the long term.  He took more solid/hard hits in one half of football than Santiago has taken all year. He runs well but doesn't seem to have quite the vision or the ability to avoid impact like Santiago does (though not many do). 

As for Norberg, it seems that he has developed a little more "wiggle". Last year it seemed to be head down and that's what you were going to get. He looked much better running the ball Saturday. In his defense, probably helped immensely being a full time running back rather than getting just switched over from linebacker.

While I agree, I still am not sold on him at running back for the long term.  He took more solid/hard hits in one half of football than Santiago has taken all year. He runs well but doesn't seem to have quite the vision or the ability to avoid impact like Santiago does (though not many do). 

As for Norberg, it seems that he has developed a little more "wiggle". Last year it seemed to be head down and that's what you were going to get. He looked much better running the ball Saturday. In his defense, probably helped immensely being a full time running back rather than getting just switched over from linebacker.

Agreed, I think he is built more for WR. Regardless, they just need to make sure he is getting on the field with that speed. Hope Santiago is ready to put up a career game on Saturday. Anything less than 300 yards and 4 TDs for Santiago is simply unacceptable :)

It was a good time to test him out and see what he has as a running back.  He took some shots but he is definitely a playmaker with game changing speed.

As for Santiago, watching his vision and how he sets up the defenders to go right into his blockers is crazy. Watching a couple of his runs from the end zone with how he moves just enough to get everything set up then makes his cut or hits the hole and is gone is almost surreal. Not sure how fast he actually is, but he must be faster than he looks to defenders. Multiple times on the highlights you see a defender who thinks they have an angle on him only to come up at least a step or two behind when they get to him.

It was a good time to test him out and see what he has as a running back.  He took some shots but he is definitely a playmaker with game changing speed.

As for Santiago, watching his vision and how he sets up the defenders to go right into his blockers is crazy. Watching a couple of his runs from the end zone with how he moves just enough to get everything set up then makes his cut or hits the hole and is gone is almost surreal.

Exactly, that has been the case going back to the Wyoming game. If you don't remember it, look back at those highlights. He had the one short TD, where immediately after taking the hand off, he just made a slight side step enough to make the defense completely whiff. Then walked in untouched. The kid's vision is something you just can't teach. Glad he is on our team.

Exactly, that has been the case going back to the Wyoming game. If you don't remember it, look back at those highlights. He had the one short TD, where immediately after taking the hand off, he just made a slight side step enough to make the defense completely whiff. Then walked in untouched. The kid's vision is something you just can't teach. Glad he is on our team.

The Wyoming guy that missed the tackle was not happy...

giphy.gif

Wish I could find the video that had the other view. It made the defensive player look even worse.

As for Santiago, watching his vision and how he sets up the defenders to go right into his blockers is crazy. Watching a couple of his runs from the end zone with how he moves just enough to get everything set up then makes his cut or hits the hole and is gone is almost surreal. Not sure how fast he actually is, but he must be faster than he looks to defenders. Multiple times on the highlights you see a defender who thinks they have an angle on him only to come up at least a step or two behind when they get to him.

Iwarri still looked a little tentative to me - stutter-stepping rather than hitting the hole decisively. He will find a home - just not yet sure that it's at RB.

As for Santiago, his first run on Saturday was an ankle-breaker for two defenders. It's a combination of vision and amazing ability to stop on a dime, change directions and accelerate quickly again - just like that Wyoming TD run. And of course, flat out "he gone" speed in the open field. As others have said - get 20 lbs on him and then really watch out. Fun!

I wonder if Sweeney may have coined a new phrase, on one of the touchdown highlights on a long TD run he said....."So long Santiago!"   Since I'm usually watching and not listening to the radio broadcast, I'm not sure if that is the first time he said it or not. 

• Upvote 2

You forgot---- "our corners are NAIA level",  "the ceiling for this program is 6 wins",  "SIU's defense didn't get better, why would UND's?",  "Studsrud is not an FCS level QB". 

Anything else?

We've all been frustrated from time to time this year, it has been an up and down year.  But yeah there are a couple posters who have made some pretty harsh posts like the ones above.  It's funny how some posters only come on here after we've had a bad game and lost, and like to bash the coaches, players and program.  But they never seem to show up and post after a good game and we've won.  It's like they sit and lurk until we have a bad game and things look down, then they are all about posting stuff......but not after a win.  I can't remember the one guy who said a few weeks ago that he sees us only winning 53 games over the next 10 years, which is the one I think you are referring to about the 6 wins is the ceiling.  I was so wishing there was a way to bet him on that, i would have taken that bet in a minute.  

• Upvote 1

We've all been frustrated from time to time this year, it has been an up and down year.  But yeah there are a couple posters who have made some pretty harsh posts like the ones above. 

It would be interesting to see how many of those posters actually played the game of football.  They probably don't know the difference between a cover 2 and man-to-man defense. Anyone who's played the game of football, knows that you  just don't show up and become a cohesive unit.  Developing into a good football teams takes time. To quote former Vikings QB  Brent Favre, "the pieces are in place."

Edited by Goon
  • Upvote 3

We've all been frustrated from time to time this year, it has been an up and down year.  But yeah there are a couple posters who have made some pretty harsh posts like the ones above.  It's funny how some posters only come on here after we've had a bad game and lost, and like to bash the coaches, players and program.  But they never seem to show up and post after a good game and we've won.  It's like they sit and lurk until we have a bad game and things look down, then they are all about posting stuff......but not after a win.  I can't remember the one guy who said a few weeks ago that he sees us only winning 53 games over the next 10 years, which is the one I think you are referring to about the 6 wins is the ceiling.  I was so wishing there was a way to bet him on that, i would have taken that bet in a minute.  

So true.  They'd have some credibility if they ever said anything positive or, at the very least, offered CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

• Upvote 1

It would be interesting to see how many of those posters actually played the game of football.  They probably don't know the difference between a cover 2 and man-to-man defense. Anyone who's played the game of football, knows that you  just don't show up and become a cohesive unit.  Developing into a good football teams takes time. To quote former Vikings QB  Brent Favre, "the pieces are in place."

I don't think that playing football is the issue with understanding, it is knee-jerk reactions and instantaneous hot takes instead criticism that at least has some sort of substance to it that is the problem. There are a lot of very smart football people that didn't play or at least play at a very high level and comparatively there is plenty of guys that played in the NFL that wouldn't have a clue on things.

On the same level, how much hockey did you play?

• Upvote 3

I have never played a down of FB in my life and I knew this rebuilding project would take time.

I don't think that playing football is the issue with understanding, it is knee-jerk reactions and instantaneous hot takes instead criticism that at least has some sort of substance to it that is the problem. There are a lot of very smart football people that didn't play or at least play at a very high level and comparatively there is plenty of guys that played in the NFL that wouldn't have a clue on things.

On the same level, how much hockey did you play?

Could you imagine Terry Bradshaw coaching at any level?