SiouxSports.com Forum

ICE BREAKER TOURNEY - UND vs. LSSU / Maine

AZSIOUX

FRIDAY 3:30 pm vs. Lake Superior State(WCHA) @ Portland, Maine 

SATURDAY 7 pm @ Maine (HOCKEY EAST)

always huge out of conference games when it comes to pairwrise rankings

UND will be the only team from the NCHC LSSU plays this season. UND also plays Bemidji and AlabamaHuntsville from the WCHA.

UND will be the only team from NCHC Maine plays this season. UND will also play @Vermont from the Hockey East (Oct 23/24)

It's the a round robin style. The 4th team is Michigan state who UND plays on the road this season Nov. 27th/29th in East Lansing 

Edited by AZSIOUX

Let's hope that Cam Johnson doesn't have flashbacks against Lake Superior from getting yanked against them last year.  He doesn't need to be spectacular, just give us solid goaltending.  If he matches the goaltending from the opposition, most of the time that should be enough, especially with our defense. 

Edited by tnt

Let's hope that Cam Johnson doesn't have flashbacks against Lake Superior from getting yanked against them last year.  He doesn't need to be spectacular, just give us solid goaltending.  If he matches the goaltending from the opposition, most of the time that should be enough, and with our defense. 

That is my hope as well that the Defense takes the pressure off him early so he can settle in. I just think he needs to get more game experience and the confidence will come. Hopefully our D can ease him into that.

• Upvote 3

So... No live broadcast of the tournament this weekend other than radio? Is this the 1920s? I noticed that the schedule indicates no video broadcast of the Bemidji game at their rink. Do you think that will change as we move closer to next week?

The Bemidji game would surprise me. I live in Mpls and we get alot of their games on this tptMN channel. Not sure what the schedule looks like, but I'm crossing my fingers.

• Upvote 1

So... No live broadcast of the tournament this weekend other than radio? Is this the 1920s? I noticed that the schedule indicates no video broadcast of the Bemidji game at their rink. Do you think that will change as we move closer to next week?

That one should be on Midco, I know they used to be. I can ask Scott Williams and find out.

just saw this post, nothing for sat vs the home town team Maine?? That's crazy if not. 1920's it is....

Seriously it's 2015 and won't be able to watch a couple games my god. Makes no sense at all. Let's pay a fan to periscope the game.  TH will have to do I guess Friday's win vs LSSU 

Lol I suggested getting a friend to Periscope the games after the game on Saturday... Glad we are all on the same page. 

• Upvote 1

The freshmen looked dynamic...  I was especially pleased with the play of Boeser, Janatuinen, Wilkie, and Gersich up front.  These youngsters stepped into top line roles immediately and produced "big time".  I thought Shaw look strong and solid on the line also.  I am so excited for all of out goal scorers to get up to speed and start tallying goals that count!  I know it could be a learning curve at first, BUT we have a formidable D-Unit which will keep us in games and allow the scorers to slowly ramp up to top performance.  Here are three really early season predictions from our team!

- Top of the scoring charts will be a race between Caggiula and Poganski, with Boeser catching speed at the end of the season and making it close.

- Stecher will be the top D-Man in the NCHC

- We will be playing for a Penrose cup at the end of the season

So lets get this season started this coming weekend with convincing wins vs LSSU and Maine.  Hopefully a National Championship as the University of North Dakota _____________ (Insert new name) will help us all forget about the nickname struggle and embrace the future of the University and a continued dominance in NCAA Ice Hockey!

• Upvote 1

It'd be nice to view these games as lackadaisical because it's the beginning of the year, but these games could have huge Pairwise effects come March.  LSSU lost to the U18 team in OT on Sunday.  Not sure how many players LSSU lost, but they had some decent offensive power against UND last year.  It'd be nice if the team generated a handful of goals early to give Cam some breathing room.  Hopefully he and Karl are working all week on limiting those rebounds right out into the slot. (As of now, I'm assuming Tomek isn't ready to play.)

Maine has had a tough go the last few years.  Let's hope that continues for another weekend haha

Win or lose, I'm pretty excited to see four games in-person during the month of October.  The back and forth travel might be tough on the team, but the UND fans in New England love this schedule :)

Edited by keikla

Wonder is shaw gets the 6th d spot Friday? Wolalin sat maybe? St Clair being out opens a spot at forward as well whoever the 13th forward is on the trip. Guessing Gardner and Sanderson maybe flip flop 

Any Tomek news?
Edited by AZSIOUX