SiouxSports.com Forum

Development Around the Ralph

puck

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any clue as to why S49 closed - I really thought their food was great?

I think their staff was a little too "professional" (a.k.a. snobbish). Go to Texas Roadhouse and you'll be served by a staff that is down-to-earth and easy to relate to. The food was good, if a little pricey. I think a less formal, more laid-back atmosphere would play to the college crowd and the Grand Forks culture in general.

Open it quick because it would be good for before games if they have the right mix.

Really surprised they failed. I know their hours weren't great but just the location I would have thought would have made it work. 12,000 people at hockey games, 2000 at bball games (last year anyway). Just seemed to make sense in terms of location. With Overtime and Suite 49 closing. What are the options in the north end after ball games?

S 49 closing really amazes me. I thought it had a great nitch. My thought is that 1 of 2 things led to the closing.

1) Poor management

2) too high of a lease from UND to be profitable (at least that my undestanding is that UND owns all property on the Bronson Property and leases it to others)

S 49 closing really amazes me. I thought it had a great nitch. My thought is that 1 of 2 things led to the closing.

1) Poor management

2) too high of a lease from UND to be profitable (at least that my undestanding is that UND owns all property on the Bronson Property and leases it to others)

I can't say I know the details why Suite 49 closed, but all I can say is that the service was terrible everytime I was there. And I also know it had a reputation for terrible service. I don't think many restaurants anywhere can survive long-term when they consistently offer bad service.

1) Poor management

Suite 49 doesn't actually pay UND or the state of North Dakota on a continual basis. Rather, they paid one lump sum to purchase the leasehold interest (essentially a 99-year lease), which can be mortgaged or sold similar to how a fee simple interest can be.

How about an IHOP or other kind of 24 hour place? Having that right by the campus would probably bring in lots of money and it`d be great for the college kids too! Just a thought :lol:

Lots of things made it close as said above like hours, service, quality etc. A big issue was cost and the thought that went into the building. It was designed to be upper scale martini bar. Even before opening we wondered how that would work on campus. And then the cost of food vs. quality wasn't there. They wanted to be a north end Sanders and that isn't possible with the $$$ kids have to spend. Mom, dad, and student loans can only supply so much money to drink. Plus the building's cost was over $2 million and that's a huge amount of debt to service. Personally...I loved the place when the Sioux were out of town playing. It was great to bring the kids to and have a good adult fun time. I thought the food was good if you got it before you wanted to leave.

Lots of things made it close as said above like hours, service, quality etc. A big issue was cost and the thought that went into the building. It was designed to be upper scale martini bar. Even before opening we wondered how that would work on campus. And then the cost of food vs. quality wasn't there. They wanted to be a north end Sanders and that isn't possible with the $$$ kids have to spend. Mom, dad, and student loans can only supply so much money to drink. Plus the building's cost was over $2 million and that's a huge amount of debt to service. Personally...I loved the place when the Sioux were out of town playing. It was great to bring the kids to and have a good adult fun time. I thought the food was good if you got it before you wanted to leave.

Never had a bad meal there. Ate there last New Years Eve. Food was excellent and service didn't suck either.

I have never been in Suite 49, but have been in a few Panera's. Would the building work functionally for a Panera?

Location-wise I would think it would be great. A place with great food and breads that don't cost and arm and a leg with free wi-fi. Place it near a bunch of college students. Ideal location for Panera.

By the way, we ate at one last night, which gave me the idea. :D

I have never been in Suite 49, but have been in a few Panera's. Would the building work functionally for a Panera?

Location-wise I would think it would be great. A place with great food and breads that don't cost and arm and a leg with free wi-fi. Place it near a bunch of college students. Ideal location for Panera.

Wow that's a great idea! I LOVE Panera, and know lots of others that do as well!

I think it's too big to be a Panera... but that's just my opinion. I'd also rather have something else... I'm not a Panera fan