SiouxSports.com Forum

2015/16 Season

obborg

Holly Johnson, former Ms. BB from Minot and NDSU player, was cut loose from NDSU over a nagging injury. Has degree and 1 year of eligibility left. Wants to play last season of D1 BB "in the area". Why not UND? Not many other D1 programs " in the area".

• Upvote 1

Just now, Dagger said:

That comment by Johnson pretty much tells you where she wants to play next year.

Probably for a reason, too.  

That looks really bad on NDSU's WBB program to do that in her last year.  Not like she was some end of the bencher who eating up a scholarship for 3 years.  To not even give a roster spot at all is embarrassing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

Probably for a reason, too.  

That looks really bad on NDSU's WBB program to do that in her last year.  Not like she was some end of the bencher who eating up a scholarship for 3 years.  To not even give a roster spot at all is embarrassing.

Living in Fargo I know a few connected with NDSU..........not many I have talked to feel the new WBB coach is an upgrade over the last one who was a complete disaster.

17 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Living in Fargo I know a few connected with NDSU..........not many feel the new WBB coach is an upgrade over the last one who was a disaster.

I've heard similar and early results are trending that way. Putting a lot of eggs in the basket of next year's class bringing in 7 scholarship players.

2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Make it 4 in a row for the Women. a 3 point win over UNC. Climbed back to 5th place in the league.  Weber and ISU on the road. Lets make it 6!

I really do like your enthusiasm but my excitement is curtailed.  Yes, it was another win tonight but considering it was at home... It seems like we are beating average teams.  It sure doesn't come easy.  I just don't see us winning many if any games on the road the remainder of the season or winning on neutral court at BSC tourney.   Zhablla (sp?) and Knox have really digressed this season, Lloyd still decent but not what she was her soph and jr seasons, there's no consistent outside shooting threat (Dyer is the only one but is hot and cold), and we just don't have that dual combo-platter inside/outside player (such as a Maddie Buck or Troy Huff).    I make all the home games and it's really tough to watch this team at times. Sure hope they prove this negative Nancy wrong, really!            

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Sure hope they prove this negative Nancy wrong, really!            

It is not negative to point out the weaknesses unless you ignore the strengths.  How about our halfcourt defense slowly becoming a thing of beauty?  How about outrebounding your opponent by more than 2:1?  How about burning every team we play with Dyer's inbounding passes under the basket?  (How about Dyer's passing skills in general?)  How about Smith gaining confidence on offense to go with her already dominant defensive presence?  How about getting the hang of closing out close ones?

14 hours ago, obborg said:

It is not negative to point out the weaknesses unless you ignore the strengths.  How about our halfcourt defense slowly becoming a thing of beauty?  How about outrebounding your opponent by more than 2:1?  How about burning every team we play with Dyer's inbounding passes under the basket?  (How about Dyer's passing skills in general?)  How about Smith gaining confidence on offense to go with her already dominant defensive presence?  How about getting the hang of closing out close ones?

Gotta admit I do like Smith's developing confidence (still at times doesn't look so confident).   No doubt though, a big presence in the middle and slowly picking up points underneath.  IMO turnovers are what appear to be what will define the season/result each game. If they can limit them... 

On 1/28/2016 at 6:27 AM, Oxbow6 said:

Holly Johnson, former Ms. BB from Minot and NDSU player, was cut loose from NDSU over a nagging injury. Has degree and 1 year of eligibility left. Wants to play last season of D1 BB "in the area". Why not UND? Not many other D1 programs " in the area".

........and it is official. Even for just a year this a good get IMO.

Did we ever find out the deal on suspensions?  i heard a rumor today that literally the girls were fighting???  Normally I wouldn't post this, but I haven't heard any other explanation and didn't even consider this.

Years ago i was told that girls teams win when they are getting along.  Guys teams get along when they are winning.

10 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Did we ever find out the deal on suspensions?  i heard a rumor today that literally the girls were fighting???  Normally I wouldn't post this, but I haven't heard any other explanation and didn't even consider this.

Years ago i was told that girls teams win when they are getting along.  Guys teams get along when they are winning.

It's not really home team message board fodder. But it was certainly a locker room issue. Let's just hope they continue their strong play and can keep the underclassmen intact in the offseason for next year and beyond. 

4 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

It's not really home team message board fodder. But it was certainly a locker room issue. Let's just hope they continue their strong play and can keep the underclassmen intact in the offseason for next year and beyond. 

I suppose I should also note that I've heard that players are not allowed to speak to parents about anything relating to what goes on with program.  This would explain why it's never gotten out what has happened.

It's probably best this hasn't gotten out, but not sure I've heard of this type of "fear???" when it comes to speaking about the goings on of a team.  Maybe it's more prevalent than I realize with D1 basketball.

6 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I suppose I should also note that I've heard that players are not allowed to speak to parents about anything relating to what goes on with program.  This would explain why it's never gotten out what has happened.

It's probably best this hasn't gotten out, but not sure I've heard of this type of "fear???" when it comes to speaking about the goings on of a team.  Maybe it's more prevalent than I realize with D1 basketball.

That edict might have stemmed from a parent or two trying to encourage a player or two to play/ do things a certain way that may have been contrary to coaches' guidance.  Yes, some choppy waters to be sure, but the fact it's relatively staying  in house is a victory in itself. 

5 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

That edict might have stemmed from a parent or two trying to encourage a player or two to play/ do things a certain way that may have been contrary to coaches' guidance.  Yes, some choppy waters to be sure, but the fact it's relatively staying  in house is a victory in itself. 

I don't think so. I've delayed so long posting this info, but it seemed relevant with what I heard today. I did not get the impression that the parents seem to have any problem with philosophy.  So no I don't think the parents are forcing one direction or the other for their player.

1 minute ago, Smoggy said:

I don't think so. I've delayed so long posting this info, but it seemed relevant with what I heard today. I did not get the impression that the parents seem to have any problem with philosophy.  So no I don't think the parents are forcing one direction or the other for their player.

Ok.  Different sources. Different feedback. It is what it is.  Let's move on. 

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Got chastised when I brought up there was internal issues on the team.

Hopefully, Brew patched things up and the gals have healed their disagreements.

• Upvote 1