SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Championship News

cberkas

13 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Is that the same league Brady Murray went to after his Sophomore year? Didn't work for him, maybe it will work for Matthews.

Same league.

What do you mean didn't work for Brady Murray?

completely different situations. Brady went after his sophomore season as he was not a likely NHL prospect and Switzerland was changing their league definition of an import player. Despite having dual USA/Canada citizenship a team signing Brady did not have to count him as an import player since he was born to his Canadian father and mother while his father coached in Switzerland.  He played 8 seasons in the Swiss A league.

Mathews I believe tried to accelerate his education to be able to have the options of playing major juniors or going the college route. He was completely dominant in the 18 and under worlds last year but still ineligible foe the NHL draft due to his age so he chose to play and get paid in Switzerland this season and he will likely play for whatever team drafts him in the NHL next season.

6 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Same league.

What do you mean didn't work for Brady Murray?

completely different situations. Brady went after his sophomore season as he was not a likely NHL prospect and Switzerland was changing their league definition of an import player. Despite having dual USA/Canada citizenship a team signing Brady did not have to count him as an import player since he was born to his Canadian father and mother while his father coached in Switzerland.  He played 8 seasons in the Swiss A league.

Mathews I believe tried to accelerate his education to be able to have the options of playing major juniors or going the college route. He was completely dominant in the 18 and under worlds last year but still ineligible foe the NHL draft due to his age so he chose to play and get paid in Switzerland this season and he will likely play for whatever team drafts him in the NHL next season.

I thought Murray did that to improve his NHL stock value. Anyway, I don't think most young hockey players aspire to play in Europe, it is usually a fall-back position for them. That is what I meant by "it didn't work out for him".