SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were 7 (vote!)

jimdahl

Which remaining names are acceptable  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Which could you live with? (vote more than one)

• Fighting Hawks
    • Green Hawks
    • Nodaks
    • North Dakota
    • North Stars
    • Roughriders
    • Sundogs

Kelly would have to be already moved out of town if he picked sundogs - there would be protests & folks showing up & it could get real ugly if he stuck around & tried to defend it 

• Upvote 1

Kelly would have to be already moved out of town if he picked sundogs - there would be protests & folks showing up & it could get real ugly if he stuck around & tried to defend it 

Do you have complete faith that it won't happen though?

OK, looks like I will have to do the math for some people on here.  No nickname (or North Dakota in the poll)  got 33.64% of the total votes.  The other 6 got 66.36% vote combined.  So a logical conclussion would be that 66.36% of people favored either Roughriders, Nodaks, Green Hawks, Fighting Hawks, North Stars or Sundogs.  The poll didn't ask simply nickname or no nickname, but it is fair to make the conclusion based on the numbers

Your condescension not withstanding, The bolded statement above is not supported by the facts.  There is simply absolutely nothing to suggest that if those that chose a particular name had to choose another because their original choice was no longer available, that they would choose a different nickname over "no nickname".  The only thing that can be concluded from your referenced poll is than not very many people that participated in it like "Spirit" or "Sundogs" or perhaps even "Fighting Green", or felt passionately enough about them to vote for them repeatedly - at least compared to some of the other options available in the poll.

• Upvote 1

Report from Gooferville:  The Collective is giddy with anticipation that UND will select the awful "Roughriders".  I'm being bombarded with colorful references to prophylactics and their creative usage.  It is the first topic I'm met with when I proudly venture out and about with my legacy FS logowear.  These gophers are sure naughty.

To be fair to the Gopher Fans, they are near unanimous in their disappointment that UND has to drop the Fighting Sioux.  But, the sympathies are short lived, as the topic of Roughriders is apparently just to good for a rodent to ignore.

I'm happy to report that in a Taz Boy official poll, "North Dakota" is the most popular choice by a wide margin.

Report from Gooferville:  The Collective is giddy with anticipation that UND will select the awful "Roughriders".  I'm being bombarded with colorful references to prophylactics and their creative usage.  It is the first topic I'm met with when I proudly venture out and about with my legacy FS logowear.  These gophers are sure naughty.

To be fair to the Gopher Fans, they are near unanimous in their disappointment that UND has to drop the Fighting Sioux.  But, the sympathies are short lived, as the topic of Roughriders is apparently just to good for a rodent to ignore.

I'm happy to report that in a Taz Boy official poll, "North Dakota" is the most popular choice by a wide margin.

I can't believe Red River hasn't had to cancel multiple sporting events due to other schools bombarding them with those colorful references.   :silly:

• Downvote 1

But somehow we keep hearing that the majority wants "no nickname" with nothing to back it up and that seems to be OK. 

Key sentence repeated for your benefit:  "The only thing that can be concluded from your referenced poll is than not very many people that participated in it like "Spirit" or "Sundogs" or perhaps even "Fighting Green", or felt passionately enough about them to vote for them repeatedly - at least compared to some of the other options available in the poll".

How did you ever survive the mean things they said about the Fighting Sioux nickname?

Key sentence repeated for your benefit:  "The only thing that can be concluded from your referenced poll is than not very many people that participated in it like "Spirit" or "Sundogs" or perhaps even "Fighting Green", or felt passionately enough about them to vote for them repeatedly - at least compared to some of the other options available in the poll".

What does that have to do with the "no nickname" crowd continually tossing around that the claim that a large majority doesn't want a nickname with absolutely nothing to back it up?  I don't disagree on what your saying, it was (as I clearly stated) unscientific and who knows how accurate.  But those championing Rob Port's article and talking points using the same polls to claim that "no nickname" is supposedly the majority's choice seems to pass muster when its convenient.

What does that have to do with the "no nickname" crowd continually tossing around that the claim that a large majority doesn't want a nickname with absolutely nothing to back it up?  I don't disagree on what your saying, its was (as I clearly stated) unscientific and who knows how accurate.  But those championing Rob Port's article and talking points using the same polls to claim that "no nickname" seems to pass muster to most when its convenient.

I took your post to mean that you feel I object to the statement that more want any nickname than want to go without, but was somehow "okay" with those claiming a majority want no nickname.  I repeated the key sentence of my post to show that I am not "okay" with that assertion either.

• Upvote 2

You lost me right there. ;)

Understandable.  Using Gopher fans as a source or reference of any sort strains credibility.  I'll be talking to a few Minn-St Mavericks in a few days, that should help legitimize my source pool.  Er...  well...  uhm... 

It's not that I absolutely hate the Roughrider nickname, it's just that I think it is remarkably, extraordinarily bad.  A level of lameness immeasurable even using the latest distributed computing technologies.  Although I'm certain my position on the matter is wildly popular (as is Taz Boy himself) and shared by the vast majority of alumni, I can see angst with some of the folks here.

Let me be goal oriented, constructive.  Assume the crappy Roughriders becomes the nickname; which is a horrifying thought, I strongly recommend taking a page from Saskatchewan on marketing efforts.

taz

It's not that I absolutely hate the Roughrider nickname, it's just that I think it is remarkably, extraordinarily bad. A level of lameness immeasurable even using the latest distributed computing technologies. Although I'm certain my position on the matter is wildly popular (as is Taz Boy himself) and shared by the vast majority of alumni, I can see angst with some of the folks here.

Let me be goal oriented, constructive. Assume the crappy Roughriders becomes the nickname; which is a horrifying thought, I strongly recommend taking a page from Saskatchewan on marketing efforts.

taz

Sundogs.......The Ralph could be lit up in rainbow colors on game nights like the White House was a couple weeks ago. We could bring in Neil Patrick Harris as our new PA guy. We could have the Village People on skates performing in between periods. The possibilities are endless. Sundogs is starting to grow on me..............like syphilis chancre.
  • Upvote 3

Sundogs.......The Ralph could be lit up in rainbow colors on game nights like the White House was a couple weeks ago. We could bring in Neil Patrick Harris as our new PA guy. We could have the Village People on skates performing in between periods. The possibilities are endless. Sundogs is starting to grow on me..............like syphilis chancre.

You must get a lot of moments with awkward silence after you spew.....speak in front of people?

I think the great thing about Roughriders is that it doesn't have to be tied to Roosevelt if you don't want it to. Look how the CFL team uses it. You could have a Roughrider logo with a soldier on a horse with nothing referencing Roosevelt at all. That's one of the main reason I like that name is the logo and marketing possibilities are fantastic.

Having said that I would certainly tie it somewhat to Roosevelt if I was UND. If the guy is good enough to put on MT. Rushmore and good enough to have a national park named after him I think he is ok is most people's eyes. He's one of the most recognizable and respected individuals in American and maybe more importantly North Dakota history. Taking one or two quotes of his and making a big stink about it seems rather petty. George Washington had his own flaws and he has an entire University named after him. Google Roosevelt quotes and you will find hundreds used for inspiration, motivation and pride. Many hang on frames in people's homes offices and in many buildings in North Dakota.

• Upvote 1

Some people have said they do not want to use Roughriders   because Red River is using that name.  That happens all the time.  How many schools in the area used the  Bison for their athletic teams.  Just off the top doesn't Hazen use the Bison.  Isn't Milnor the Bison.    Are their any other schools?   That is hard to avoid.

• Upvote 2

Some people have said they do not want to use Roughriders   because Red River is using that name.  That happens all the time.  How many schools in the area used the  Bison for their athletic teams.  Just off the top doesn't Hazen use the Bison.  Isn't Milnor the Bison.    Are their any other schools?   That is hard to avoid.

I didn't realize that NDSU was located in Hazen, or in Milnor.  How many thousands of people are affiliated with the Hazen Bison?  They average about 60 per class right now, so probably not a lot of thousands.  How about Milnor?  They average less than 20 per class, so even fewer thousands.  And how about those Milnor/North Sargent Bulldogs?  You know, since Milnor coops with North Sargent for sports like football and girls basketball.  Does the Fargo Forum, KFGO, WDAY and the rest of the Fargo media spend a lot of time talking about the Hazen Bison or the Milnor Bison?  Maybe those situations aren't exactly the same as if the University is located in the same town as one of the larger high schools in the state that has several hundred graduates each year.

• Downvote 5