SiouxSports.com Forum

2017-2018 Recruiting

UND Fan

31 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

I assume you are referring to Hedstrom - I know we are interested in him but I don't think we have made an offer. 

correct, I watched him play a couple of times this year and he looked pretty good.  He'd be a good fit.

Of course watch him have a huge summer and now be a legit mid-major prospect.

Prep Hoops Iowa rates Franken 11th in his class behind a couple of D2 recruits. and 3 spots lower than Brown was rated class of 16..Ouch!.Prep Hoop Illinois ....Has Buchanan 73rd  which puts  him in the D3/D2 range....Double Ouch ......Moody is rated 2nd in ND in a class with 2 D1 prospects..... These locally sourced ratings really are really pretty bad for a D1 program

I know a kid from Marcell, MN who is only 15, but already 6'6" with a 7' wingspan.  He loves BB and can dunk.  He's skinny, but who isn't at 15, especially with that awkward body.  His mom says he's gotten way more coordinated in the past year.  I don't know what he'll turn out to be like as BB player, but is this someone that the coaching staff should be alerted to?

22 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I know a kid from Marcell, MN who is only 15, but already 6'6" with a 7' wingspan.  He loves BB and can dunk.  He's skinny, but who isn't at 15, especially with that awkward body.  His mom says he's gotten way more coordinated in the past year.  I don't know what he'll turn out to be like as BB player, but is this someone that the coaching staff should be alerted to?

It sure wouldn't hurt sending one or more of the UND assistants an e-mail providing them with his name, address, etc.  I am sure they would be interested in following the young man's progress.  Sometimes a young guy can mature into a good prospect in a relatively short period of time.  Being 6'6" at 15, he might have a few inches yet to grow.  Is he playing AAU BB this summer?

The coaches' e-mail addresses can be found at UNDsports.com.

Another:

SF Ed Chang, 6'7", 180, Papillion (LaVista), NE  Has offers from NE, Creighton, St. Johns & IA (the IA offer may no longer be out there).

He has grown a lot lately so started with guard-type skills.  Apparently has lots of potential as noted by his other offers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice Article on Dale Jones.  Should be a nice fit and replacement for Brinstine:

skip navigation

• JC Recruiting Class Breakdown: What is Iowa getting in Dale Jones from Tyler JC?
06/21/2015, 12:00pm EDT
By Brad Winton

Screen_Shot_2014-12-08_at_11.56.08_AM.pn
DaleJonesTyler_medium.jpg

We will break down many of the top 2015 division one junior college recruiting classes over the next several weeks. Some D1 programs rely heavily on JUCO transfers, while others may only pick up one every few years.

Today we will take a look at Iowa’s JC recruiting class, which features one of the top junior college players in the country in the 2015 class. Dale Jones committed to Iowa after completing his sophomore season at Tyler JC. He is currently ranked as the #8 player in our www.JucoRecruiting.com 2015 Top 100 Player Rankings. Our final 2015 rankings will be released in June.

What is Iowa getting in Jones?

Dale Jones is a 6’8 3 man, who was very impressive when we watched him multiple times throughout the season. Jones is very versatile on the offensive end of has deep range on his jumper. He creates matchup problems for defenders with his unique ability to score in the low and mid post while also being able to sretech the floor and score off the dribble from the perimeter.  Jones can create his own shot and has very good footwork on the perimeter. He uses his size well to face up smaller defenders and use a jab series to create space before shooting over smaller defenders.  Jones sees the floor very well and is a good passer from the perimeter and from the high-post. He has a smooth and fluid game that should translate very well to the next level. Quality shooters are hard to come by, especially shooters who are 6’8, and Iowa did a very good job of recruiting Jones heavily throughout his sophomore year.

On the defensive end, Jones does a solid job of keeping perimeter players in front of him and uses his body well in the low post. He will most likely have to guard threes and stretch four men in the Big 10. Jones does a nice job on the glass on both ends of the floor and has the ability to rebound the ball and initiate the transition break.

Jones suffered a knee injury at Tyler, but looked to be almost fully recovered during regional tournament and national tournament play. He still has some issues with lateral mobility on the defensive end when guarding on the perimeter, but his knee did get stronger as the year went on. He should be at full strength by the time the 2015-16 season roles around. 

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

Not surprisingly, Kalscheur has verballed to the Gophers.

Its stunning how well Baby Pitino has managed to lock down most of the good talent in MN.  I'm actually surprised to see how well he has done, usually those guys get away.

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:57 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

I know a kid on my wish list is the big from Hopkins. 

We have offered Hedstrom.

C Joe Hedstrom, 6'10", 200, Minnetonka (Hopkins), MN  Has offers from NDSU, USD, Loyola Marymount, Hofstra, Cleveland St & Denver

16 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

We have offered Hedstrom.

C Joe Hedstrom, 6'10", 200, Minnetonka (Hopkins), MN  Has offers from NDSU, USD, Loyola Marymount, Hofstra, Cleveland St & Denver

Been watched closely by some bigger programs the past few weeks. Minnesota, Purdue, and Wisconsin have been at a number of his games.