SiouxSports.com Forum

2017-2018 Recruiting

UND Fan

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

If you're going to put this out here, could you please back it up with the link? Kind of leaves the speculation wide open without it.

That's kind of the common theme. Present opinions as facts. Rarely back up anything with actual proof. Not saying everything is wrong but when there is a lack of information backing the claims, have to take it all with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

Too many of us message board people live in the basketball world of 10... heck 5 years ago.  Times have changed with the grad transfer.  Players always think of themselves better than they are.  They are always looking for the Bigger Better Deal (BBD).  They love being recruited and whooed.  It's very easy with summer school to be ahead to graduate and players don't go home over summer anymore.  

Facts are that Jones has managed to grab some Minnesota / Iowa players that have no business being at the a low mid major like us.  I appreciate a player like Hooker so much for doing what he did for 4 years.  But that isn't most players.  Crandel lit up summer league playing with some pros.  He's special.  Let's enjoy, because he may not be here next year.  

Now absolutely I think he should stay and continue to dominate and put up huge numbers.  He will get noticed.  But the NBA draft is only 2 rounds and free agency / D league is tough and it always looks better when you're having to break into a tougher lineup and play a tougher schedule if you want to move on after college.

12 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Too many of us message board people live in the basketball world of 10... heck 5 years ago.  Times have changed with the grad transfer.  Players always think of themselves better than they are.  They are always looking for the Bigger Better Deal (BBD).  They love being recruited and whooed.  It's very easy with summer school to be ahead to graduate and players don't go home over summer anymore.  

Facts are that Jones has managed to grab some Minnesota / Iowa players that have no business being at the a low mid major like us.  I appreciate a player like Hooker so much for doing what he did for 4 years.  But that isn't most players.  Crandel lit up summer league playing with some pros.  He's special.  Let's enjoy, because he may not be here next year.  

Now absolutely I think he should stay and continue to dominate and put up huge numbers.  He will get noticed.  But the NBA draft is only 2 rounds and free agency / D league is tough and it always looks better when you're having to break into a tougher lineup and play a tougher schedule if you want to move on after college.

I still think there is something to the allure of going down as a legend and being talked about for years to come.  Especially if Geno led the team to a repeat this year and then again the following year in Sioux Falls?

1 minute ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I still think there is something to the allure of going down as a legend and being talked about for years to come.  Especially if Geno led the team to a repeat this year and then again the following year in Sioux Falls?

I agree completely, but this generation of kids / players doesn't seem to have that attitude anymore.  College football quarterbacking carousel is a prime example.  Why they pick a team with two 5 star qbs already on team is beyond me. Go somewhere and be the star.  

17 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

If you're going to put this out here, could you please back it up with the link? Kind of leaves the speculation wide open without it.

Just go to bozoville, where there is an apparent UNd fan trying to get a rise out of that fan base.  Never link there, as that's a cardinal sin.   He seemed to have inside information, and am unaware right  now how many scholarships we have to give.

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

If anything,  hopefully that big recruit that we grabbed provides reason for him to think next year can be really special here.  

Like watching Crandall even more than Hooker.  Crandall is just a smooth player that is a joy to watch.  The idea of Jal next year may entice Crandall to stay his four years.  Buchanan has potential too, but needs more development.

• 2 weeks later...

Tony Roe has an interesting perspective on UND signee,  Elijah Hazekamp:

ElijahHazekampAAU-347x260.jpgAs part of our preseason content, we’re counting down the top dozen candidates for this year’s Mr. Basketball award, presented annually to the top senior in the state. The list continues with our No. 5 player, Sioux City Bishop Heelan combo forward Elijah Hazekamp, a double-double machine who recently committed to play his college ball at North Dakota. 

Name: Elijah Hazekamp
Height: 6-6
Position: F
School: Sioux City Bishop Heelan

2016-17 stats: 424 points (17.7/game), 298 rebounds (12.4), 61 assists (2.5), 48.7 FG%, 39.3 3P%, 87.1 FT%
Career stats: 1,005 points (14.6/game), 710 rebounds (10.3), 132 assists (1.9), 48.3 FG%, 36.1 3P%, 84.1 FT%

About Hazekamp: A skilled combo forward, Hazekamp has put together a really strong career and will end up averaging a strong double-double as a result. Capable of scoring from all three levels, he plays with a relentless motor, is an animal on the glass and gets to the free throw line routinely. He’s steadily added some versatility to his game, and will continue his basketball career playing Division I basketball at North Dakota.

Why he can win Mr. Basketball: He’s going to finish his career averaging a double-double and should end up as just the fifth player in 3A history to record more than 1,000 career rebounds. He’ll be the focal point of a Crusaders team that will be among the best in 3A, and one that has a real shot at winning the state title. With the big career numbers he’ll end up with, adding a state title to that resume could be enough to swing some votes his direction.

Odds he wins Mr. Basketball: Hazekamp could get some attention from voters, especially those int he western part of the state, and many years he could be considered one of the front runners for the honor. But this isn’t most years, and the players at the top of the list are exceptional, so the chances of Hazekamp winning are very slim. But a career double-double average and a (potential) state title make for a pretty solid career.

• 1 month later...

New offer:

SF Shandon Goldman, 6'9", 215, Evansville, AR

Graduated HS in '16, spent Fr year at Little Rock before transferring to Panola College in TX.  He has started 12 of 17 games and is averaging 8.5 pts and 5.8 rebounds.  We could sure use some more size/rebounding but he is listed as a small forward.  He has scored no points in two of his last five games - scary!   He does have offers from Hartford, Marist, Canisius & Lamar.

28 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

13 scholly limit..try thinking before stupid posts..

Yes, you should. I'm aware of the limits and where the team currently sits. However none of that applies to any specific player, which is what you are throwing against the wall. I'm not even saying you'll end up being wrong but there is no backing to any of those players leaving the team at this point in time.

9 minutes ago, homer said:

Brown looked ok vs. Weber and NDSU.  Not going to be a starter but he extends the bench a bit and can play key minutes.  Will likely never start but plays his role well 

Once he stops hesitating and starts taking the shots he's passing up, he'll be a much better player. Not sure why he's so gun-shy, he can hit from deep. Could learn a thing or two from a few of the other guys.

20 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Considering our best player didn't have any D1 offers, I'm not so sure why people keep worrying about that. 

because sometimes there are reasons why the other 150 d1 schools don't offer certain guys shollies...in billys case he just isn't that good...geno on the other hand was a steal.

21 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

because sometimes there are reasons why the other 150 d1 schools don't offer certain guys shollies...in billys case he just isn't that good...geno on the other hand was a steal.

He's a true sophomore halfway through his second year in the program and as his minutes have went up, the team has been playing better. A red-shirt year would have done him good but someone had to fill the hole left by McDermott last year. He's been more than holding his own on the court for where he is in his development but some people are too stuck on how many offers a kid has to worry about that. His biggest issue is he isn't shooting enough.

9 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

He's a true sophomore halfway through his second year in the program and as his minutes have went up, the team has been playing better. A red-shirt year would have done him good but someone had to fill the hole left by McDermott last year. He's been more than holding his own on the court for where he is in his development but some people are too stuck on how many offers a kid has to worry about that. His biggest issue is he isn't shooting enough.

Wait, you mean Coach Jones doesn't base playing time on how many competing offers you had 2-3 years ago in high school and instead bases it on who's putting in the time and work in practices??  Good Lord, I'm speechless!  ;)

1 hour ago, hoops44 said:

Geno was a late bloomer  late growth spurt, played with 3 high d1 recruits at D..

did not play for elite AAU...level... i posted here that he was a exc. pick up on this board when he first signed....brown is a d2 kid . Do you homework before posting 

He’s in a D1 rotation right now and wasn’t the worst player on the court the last two games.