SiouxSports.com Forum

2017-2018 Recruiting

UND Fan

26 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Josh Collins is a d2 player...much better fit at d2...

He'd also be the most athletic guy on the team right now and they sure could use his height.

Which schools subscribe to your scouting service? I mean Huff, Webb and Antwi all must have been D2 players as well since they didn't have any other offers. 

44 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

He'd also be the most athletic guy on the team right now and they sure could use his height.

Which schools subscribe to your scouting service? I mean Huff, Webb and Antwi all must have been D2 players as well since they didn't have any other offers. 

Do your homework!  :D

4 hours ago, jdub27 said:

He's a true sophomore halfway through his second year in the program and as his minutes have went up, the team has been playing better. A red-shirt year would have done him good but someone had to fill the hole left by McDermott last year. He's been more than holding his own on the court for where he is in his development but some people are too stuck on how many offers a kid has to worry about that. His biggest issue is he isn't shooting  WELL enough.

29 percent from field

30 percent from 3

64 from the line

2.8 pts per game

not. good.

Just now, SIOUXFAN97 said:

29 percent from field

30 percent from 3

64 from the line

2.8 pts per game

not. good.

Nice sample size. Those random couple minutes a game he played as a true freshman really mean a lot to the type of player he can be. If only he could have redshirted like he was supposed to do he could have put on a few pounds and get some quickness. 

7 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Nice sample size. Those random couple minutes a game he played as a true freshman really mean a lot to the type of player he can be. If only he could have redshirted like he was supposed to do he could have put on a few pounds and get some quickness. 

these are this years numbers...

5 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

these are this years numbers...

My mistake, he's terrible based off of 33 shots in 16 games. I'm young to ignore the 2 point attempts because he doesn't have the game to get to the room yet. 

I guess I'll go off what I see, which is fundamental basketball and not playing outside himself, and trust the guys that brought him in on this one. 

1 minute ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i think its just a matter of time before his minutes go to tray anyways...

They are going to need both of them if you've been paying any attention. And they play different games. Tray takes more chances and scores more, but also gets outside himself and turns it over more than twice as much. 

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

They are going to need both of them if you've been paying any attention. And they play different games. Tray takes more chances and scores more, but also gets outside himself and turns it over more than twice as much. 

i agree with that...i just see the minutes flipping over in favor of tray as the season goes on

11 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Try thinking before posting for a change....huff had offers from ndsu and Montana...sometimes it is smarter to be quiet

2 hours ago, hoops44 said:

Try thinking before posting for a change....huff had offers from ndsu and Montana...sometimes it is smarter to be quiet

Verbal Commits doesn't list any other offers and they don't typically miss much. Regardless, not sure why you feel the need to continue to run down UND players because of what other schools did or didn't see. The UND staff is pretty plugged in within Iowa, they are getting plenty of opinions of on guys. Some will hit, some will miss, regardless of where they are from and who did or didn't offer.

A quick check of your Twitter account reveals you should probably heed your own advice.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Verbal Commits doesn't list any other offers and they don't typically miss much. Regardless, not sure why you feel the need to continue to run down UND players because of what other schools did or didn't see. The UND staff is pretty plugged in within Iowa, they are getting plenty of opinions of on guys. Some will hit, some will miss, regardless of where they are from and who did or didn't offer.

A quick check of your Twitter account reveals you should probably heed your own advice.

They missed quite a bit 7 years ago...and so did u

33 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

not running down und players...learn how to read and understand the english language for starters... If you want to win at the D1 level on a fairly regular basis you need to recruit kids with multiple d1 offers....otherwise you have no chance...Brown looks like a 8-10 ppg kid at the D2 level and a 2-4 ppg at the low d1 level....He as a slow release, not athletic....Does play intense defense and never takes a bad shot...still only shooting 29% from the field...which is really low...for your information.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bounce said:

not running down und players...learn how to read and understand the english language for starters... If you want to win at the D1 level on a fairly regular basis you need to recruit kids with multiple d1 offers....otherwise you have no chance...Brown looks like a 8-10 ppg kid at the D2 level and a 2-4 ppg at the low d1 level....He as a slow release, not athletic....Does play intense defense and never takes a bad shot...still only shooting 29% from the field...which is really low...for your information.

Yet he’s been on the court to close out our last two wins where the team has played better.  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, bounce said:

not running down und players...

You don't think saying that certain guys are D2 players or that they just aren't that good is running them down? Especially when they haven't even been in the program 2 years?

I'm not saying our roster needs to be made up of kids that haven't been offered elsewhere. But I'm also not naive enough to think the program is currently in a position to win a ton of recruiting battles, so the staff is going to have to find some kids that others are overlooking. Bijiek was a huge surprise, but do you suppose that had something to do with a)UND being his first offer and b)recruiting Tray Buchanan, who had no other offers when he committed?

59 minutes ago, homer said:

Why are you so angry?  You seem happier when this team is losing.  

That is actually true of several on here.  When UND Men's Basketball is losing they feel much better about themselves.  It's a chance to go negative and feel that any self prophesying has been validated.  Thankfully, I have a choice of when to visit here, and when not to.  It's my own fault if I let their constant need to go negative  with their takes on the program wreck my day.  It would also be my own fault if I chose to hang out them in my real life, which I would choose not to.  My take, is Billy Brown is going to earn what he gets.  He is in the rotation right now because he defends, and believe it or not he's 4 for 8 from beyond the arc over the course of this 3 game winning streak.  It appears that he is now ahead of Jafar in the rotation, so I would anticipate we are going to see more of him.  I don't care what offers he did or didn't have. He plays for the team I choose to cheer for, so I'm going to cheer for him too.   That perspective, of course, will be considered wrong, by many on here who only want to see blood, and even then I'm not sure they ever would be happy.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, bounce said:

It is now reported that there is a 95% chance that players will be able to transfer at the end of this season without having to miss pt.....Maybe jones can upgrade the front court in the upcoming wild free agent market

His hit rate on transfers is much higher than it has been on JuCo's.....so I guess there is that.

1 hour ago, hoops44 said:

They missed quite a bit 7 years ago...and so did u

1 hour ago, bounce said:

not running down und players...learn how to read and understand the english language for starters

Did you switch from your computer to your phone or what?

• Upvote 1