SiouxSports.com Forum

Hockey Assistant Job Posted

The Sicatoka

Well, I fully intend to submit my application as I have coach/played for a variety of teams dating back to NHL93 on Super Nintendo. I also have more Stanley Cups than anyone in the market, consistently winning more than 1 cup in any given calendar year. Name any current coach who can claim that.

I would also like to point out the my stretch of playing C-team youth hockey between squirts and bantams (C stand for Cup, of which I have many; again, see above).

In addition to extensive NHL experience, I have also watched the movie Miracle and know that the name on the front of your jersey (hopefully just North Dakota) is more important than the one on your back. (Unless we had landed Auston Matthew, in which case everyone just get him the puck)

I've wanted to get into the NCAA for a long time, but until EA Sports gets their S%!# together and makes a game, this is looking like my opportunity.

You are more qualified than me on paper, but I will rock the f2f interview with stunning good looks, magnetic personality, and my encyclopedic knowledge of late 80's bars and taverns in the greater GF/EGF area.  The Spud, legendary.

Doesn't appear to have 12 years coaching experience yet (which seems like a pretty ridiculous minimum qualification).

Not that I've seen many of these assistant coach job descriptions but i've seen a few job descriptions in my day. This seems to me to have someone's name written on it, if we could just decipher the code

It's strange, especially the 12 years coaching experience (a strange number, why not 10 for instance), and the 5 years of NHL experience.

Not sure a lot of UND alum fit in with those requirements, other than Patrick who seems secure in Dallas.

One name that popped into my head was Tony Granato.  Likely out with Babcock being gone from Detroit.  He was in charge of Detroit's defense.  Rumored to go to places like San Jose.  No connection to UND or Berry at all, that I can see, other than they were contemporaries.  During Berry's three seasons here, Granato was at Wisconsin.

I agree with the idea that the description very much looks tailored to one individual.

I'm thinking they're trying to get Kevin Dineen.

Going by HockeyDB.com, Dineen doesn't have the 12 years of coaching; however, there is a gap between the end of his playing career and his first listed coaching year.

I rattled down the list of UND guys I thought maybe:

James Patrick -- short on the 12 years*

Craig Ludwig -- ditto

Rick Zombo -- ditto 

Jason Herter -- ditto 

Nick Fuher -- ditto

Mitch Vig -- ditto

Dane Litke -- ditto

Mark Pivetz -- ditto 

*strictly based off what I can find in HockeyDB.com; if that's not correct neither am I. 

Bachelor’s Degree
Minimum 12 years’ experience coaching hockey at the NCAA, junior hockey or professional hockey

Those are "musts" not "wants" (required, not preferred). Notice that the playing at the NCAA DI level is a "want", not a "must". 

So, we need someone who is at least 12 years post-playing career (as there's only one player coach out there in recent memory: some guy named 'Brad Berry' with the K-Wings). 

We need someone who stopped playing in 2002-03 season or before (first coaching season: 2003-04). 

Steve Johnson ... does anyone know what he was in charge of at SCSU and UNO when he was an assistant there? 

I ask because Steve was a forward, but he may have coached to meet these two "musts":

Experience coaching and developing defensemen at NCAA D1 or professional level
Experience with coaching/developing power play at any level

Steve Johnson ... does anyone know what he was in charge of at SCSU and UNO when he was an assistant there? 

I ask because Steve was a forward, but he may have coached to meet these two "musts":

A Bachelor's degree is required.  Does he have a degree?

Was thinking Rick Wilson must have those qualifications, but why would he leave the Minnesota Wild.  Just thinking that anybody with that much experience, are they going to be eager for getting out on the long recruiting trail and the work that it requires to stay on top?  I realize that the NHL is an absolute grind as well, but I hope someone isn't looking for security without being all in on the amount of work it takes, even at the college level.  Would rather have an up and comer than someone that just is looking for a little job security.  

UND posts assistant coach job; looking for someone to work with D-men and someone with NHL coaching experience

So when will they be announcing Blais leaving UNO and returning the Sioux.

Yes.

I'm sure the assistant will be someone Berry knows and has worked with in the past...

Arniel misses a key preferred qualification: He never played defense at the NCAA DI level. And he has no ties to the college game that I know of.  

And do we honestly think he would relinquish his position as AV's top assistant in New York to come to UND? Unlikely.

my sources at first were saying toby palmiscno...don't look like it now

I assume you mean Tyler. Tobey would be the first to jump from equipment manager to asst. coach. Of course nobody could do it better or with more flare than Tobes.