SiouxSports.com Forum

U of Jamestown setting up for DII?

The Sicatoka

I noticed the U of Jamestown (formerly known as Jamestown College) recently got some money from the Newmans to improve their basketball facilities. 

Now I see former UND associate AD Sean Johnson has been hired as their new AD. 

Why would an NCAA guy go to an NAIA school unless there's NCAA DII in their vision. 

UMary and Minot state already made the move to DII.  

I noticed the U of Jamestown (formerly known as Jamestown College) recently got some money from the Newmans to improve their basketball facilities.

Now I see former UND associate AD Sean Johnson has been hired as their new AD.

Why would an NCAA guy go to an NAIA school unless there's NCAA DII in their vision.

UMary and Minot state already made the move to DII.

You connect the dots well.

I live in Jamestown. I have heard of no such talk. What I have heard though they want to add hockey for the 2016 season. Hockey has been talked about for some time but it seems pretty serious this time around.

Jamestown would have to be DII for a number of years before they could start hockey in the WCHA. Would they start NAIA hockey or club? There's not many NAIA teams.

When first heard of Sean Johnson leaving his AD spot, thought Minot State was going to get him and start DI hockey with the WCHA.

Doesnt the NSIC have enough teams in it already?

Unless Mankato or St Cloud or Duluth move to the Slummit. They could likely afford it if they dropped football or at least went nonscholly. Augustana felt left out the last shift and they could even have DI fantasies, which would allow the Sioux Falls Slummit tournament to stay. Dickinson St would be a good partner for Jamestown to move up to DII, as both towns will be booming. The North Star conference is adding teams in Iowa and Wisconsin, so the travel with the NSIC would actually be less.

If there a massive NAIA to DII to FCS to FBS shift, the Slummit and NSIC and NorthStar conferences have to be prepared.

Jamestown, Valley City, Dickinson St., and Mayville of the old DAC along with Presentation College and Dakota St. make up the North Star Conference.  There are a few future colleges joining from Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin for basketball and a few other sports.

Jamestown, Valley City, Dickinson St., and Mayville of the old DAC along with Presentation College and Dakota St. make up the North Star Conference.  There are a few future colleges joining from Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin for basketball and a few other sports.

Pretty soon, bus leagues will be a thing of the past.  If they aren't already.

Jamestown would have to be DII for a number of years before they could start hockey in the WCHA. Would they start NAIA hockey or club? There's not many NAIA teams.

When first heard of Sean Johnson leaving his AD spot, thought Minot State was going to get him and start DI hockey with the WCHA.

WCHA? I think not. They would be in the same league as Minot St from what I have been told.

WCHA? I think not. They would be in the same league as Minot St from what I have been told.

Expecting DIIs like Lindenwood, Simon Fraser, and maybe Minot State to move their men's teams from club to DI and the WCHA. The WCHA will likely lose Bowling Green and maybe Ferris sometime within the next few years.

Club would be the right move for Jamestown. They could play UNDs and NDSUs club teams too, as well as Bottineau and Willistons Jr coll teams too.

Expecting DIIs like Lindenwood, Simon Fraser, and maybe Minot State to move their men's teams from club to DI and the WCHA. The WCHA will likely lose Bowling Green and maybe Ferris sometime within the next few years.

Club would be the right move for Jamestown. They could play UNDs and NDSUs club teams too, as well as Bottineau and Willistons Jr coll teams too.

I agree but like I said it's just what I have heard.

Don't let Bison fans hear you say that, that's why they love the MVFC/SL and dislike the Big Sky.

I actually was hoping some of them would have taken the bait! :p

And the REAL reason they dislike the Big Sky is that they shot them down not once, but twice before the Slummit took them in out of the cold.

I actually was hoping some of them would have taken the bait! :p

And the REAL reason they dislike the Big Sky is that they shot them down not once, but twice before the Slummit took them in out of the cold.

The BSC loves you guys - easy wins in every sport! :D