SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring GDT

geaux_sioux

In looking at the RB stats yesterday.....looks like in total they averaged about 1 yard/rush. We still have lots of improvement needed there, if that is suppose to be our bread and butter....running the ball, 1 yard per rush won't get it done. At least they are going up against one of the best rush defenses so they probably won't face one tougher on the rush. I realize some guys were out etc., and I think we will be better than last year but it still concerns me about not being able to get the push needed up front if we are going to primarily be a rushing team.

UND's rushing defense may be the best in the FCS for the 2015 season. Given that, UND may be able to rush the ball just fine against most teams they play this season.

Just wishful thinking, perhaps. I sure hope UND's offense is a physical, ground and pound attack. If effective, the offense will go along with the defense just perfect.

I heard threw the grape vine that Sharp got released from the team.  Has anyone else heard this?

Heard nothing.... if true, wonder if such a move would pave the way for a drop down or another kind of high-talent transfer.  Again, I have heard nothing and would wish Patrick all the best in everything he does here at UND.

Sharp kind of caught my eye based of of the highlights of the spring game. I would be interested to hear if anyone can confirm the above.

Also- Such a bummer Nevermann can't play next year; kid looks and runs tough. Is there any way to appeal bohl's decision to at least get another year of eligibility?

Also- Such a bummer Nevermann can't play next year; kid looks and runs tough. Is there any way to appeal bohl's decision to at least get another year of eligibility?

Bubba's comments on the radio yesterday made it sound like they were still appealing it but not 100% and not sure how successful they will be if that is the case.

Bubba's comments on the radio yesterday made it sound like they were still appealing it but not 100% and not sure how successful they will be if that is the case.

Thanks for the update as I wasn't sure if they were working on this behind the scenes.

They better appeal it and it best be ruled in UND's favor! For crying out loud, the kid is transferring from an FBS school to an FCS school!!!

Yes, Wyoming is on UND's schedule, but Wyoming is "suppose" to win the game, hence the payout to UND. Ultimately, the game is non-conference and non-divison. To deny a kid an opportunity to play because a non-division former team is on the schedule is ridiculous. The rule is designed for FBS to FBS transfer situations, and only that!

• Upvote 2

They better appeal it and it best be ruled in UND's favor! For crying out loud, the kid is transferring from an FBS school to an FCS school!!!

Yes, Wyoming is on UND's schedule, but Wyoming is "suppose" to win the game, hence the payout to UND. Ultimately, the game is non-conference and non-divison. To deny a kid an opportunity to play because a non-division former team is on the schedule is ridiculous. The rule is designed for FBS to FBS transfer situations, and only that!

I also think it's significant that the kid was a walk-on at Wyoming. I've heard of schools refusing to grant releases of scholarship players to another school within the same conference. But I can't imagine this situation happens very often--refusing to release a walk-on so he can transfer to a lower level.

I think a possible compromise is that the NCAA waives the requirement that Wyoming has to sign a Release, but that Nevermann isn't eligible to play in the Wyoming game.

Sharp kind of caught my eye based of of the highlights of the spring game. I would be interested to hear if anyone can confirm the above.

Like I said about Sharp.  I can't confirm.  But heard it from the a student that knows him.  It might be all hear say but that's why I was asking if anyone else had heard anything. 

• Upvote 1

I also think it's significant that the kid was a walk-on at Wyoming. I've heard of schools refusing to grant releases of scholarship players to another school within the same conference. But I can't imagine this situation happens very often--refusing to release a walk-on so he can transfer to a lower level.

I think a possible compromise is that the NCAA waives the requirement that Wyoming has to sign a Release, but that Nevermann isn't eligible to play in the Wyoming game.

I would be more than okay with that compromise. 

Bubba to Bohl: Craig, just do the right thing and let the kid play. In return he will not dress when we open the season against your team.

I also think it's significant that the kid was a walk-on at Wyoming. I've heard of schools refusing to grant releases of scholarship players to another school within the same conference. But I can't imagine this situation happens very often--refusing to release a walk-on so he can transfer to a lower level.

That makes the most sense. A single non-conference/non-divison game should not decide a player's eligibility for an entire season.

As much as people are upset with Bohl for not signing the player's release, I'm not sure any coach would respond any differently in the same situation.

Given UND fans are excited to get this player on the field, my guess is he would be a contributor in the game against Wyoming. No coach is going to want a player leave, only to turn around and hurt your team in the first game of the year.

It sounds like he was a walk-on for Wyoming, but for all UND fans know Wyoming was counting on him to play a role on their team and may be a bit salty that he decided to go to a team Wyoming plays.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As much as people are upset with Bohl for not signing the player's release, I'm not sure any coach would respond any differently in the same situation.

Given UND fans are excited to get this player on the field, my guess is he would be a contributor in the game against Wyoming. No coach is going to want a player leave, only to turn around and hurt your team in the first game of the year.

It sounds like he was a walk-on for Wyoming, but for all UND fans know Wyoming was counting on him to play a role on their team and may be a bit salty that he decided to go to a team Wyoming plays.

So like others have said... sign an agreement that he can't play in that one game.  Don't force a kid to sit out an entire year because you're afraid he will torch you.

• Upvote 1

Ever heard of Vernon Adams?

As 'Woden' said: Vernon Adams

Not to mention, what UND does over their entire 2015 season does not affect Wyoming's season. UND is not in Wyoming's conference, nor is UND even in the same subdivision. Perhaps deny the kid the ability to play against Wyoming to open the season, but do not jeopardize his entire season when he won't even be playing in the FBS.

Yeah fine, but the jackass could at least return any of the numerous phone calls from the head coach to say no.  He's a classless prick. Always has been, always will be.

But yeah, he's a good football coach.  So congrats to him on that, I guess.

Yeah fine, but the jackass could at least return any of the numerous phone calls from the head coach to say no.  He's a classless prick. Always has been, always will be.

But yeah, he's a good football coach.  So congrats to him on that, I guess.

He is a Used Car Salesman.

Better manager than coach IMO.

Ever heard of Vernon Adams?

Fair point, but keep in mind the situations are reversed in that situation so it doesn't apply to me saying any coach in that situation would respond the same way. FCS transferring to FBS vs. vice versa.

EWU is supposed to and will very likely lose to Oregon by a large margin. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but EWU had no power over where a player transfers after he graduates, or am I off on that.

Wyoming losing to UND(or any FCS for that matter) would be a disaster for what Bohl is trying to build in Wyoming. He isn't looking to give UND a player that might help them win the game.

As 'Woden' said: Vernon Adams

Not to mention, what UND does over their entire 2015 season does not affect Wyoming's season. UND is not in Wyoming's conference, nor is UND even in the same subdivision. Perhaps deny the kid the ability to play against Wyoming to open the season, but do not jeopardize his entire season when he won't even be playing in the FBS.

I agree with letting him play the rest of the season, but I can honestly say I wouldn't let him play against me either if I was in Bohl's shoes. 

One of his childhood friends from back home in Sweden is on UND's team.  Choosing UND had nothing to do with them playing Wyoming this year.