SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU/SDSU

niouxsiouxfan

Richman coming on K-FAN with Barriero today.  Another 200,000 pairs of ears listening in during their afternoon commute...nevermind the billboards.  But all is well, nothing to see here....if marketing and P.R were a boxing match they'd have stopped the fight a decade ago. 

I think Saul accepting the job at Ohio U may have been the best thing to happen to NDSU. If I recall correctly, many were not big fans of his and were calling for his head after the game against us last season. Seems like Richman was a very good hire for them.

If the Slummit is such a great conference, why are Slummit schools constantly looking for different conferences to jump to?

Moving to DI, my preference was for joining the Summit/MVFC.  The way Douple acted and the fact that football wasn't included made it clear that the Big Sky was the way to go.  Having said that, I believe the Summit is improving and heading in the right direction.  History shows lots of teams coming and going, but it looks like the long term plan is to center on the I-29 corrider with the Dakotas and Omaha.  We all know how great the NCC was as a DII conference.  Many even had the opinion that it was as good or better as some of the lower DI conferences.  So, if the Summit becomes NCC 2.0, it may become the better option.  Of course football would need to come with.  I would like to see us in a conference with the Dakota schools, Omaha, and the Montana Schools.  Throw in a 2-4 team combination of Idaho, Denver, UNC (someone needs to be the cellar dweller) and maybe EWU, and you have a pretty solid conference if you ask me.

• Upvote 1

Whoa, wait a second, bin. That could also conceivably mean Jones will be here forever, too. On the other hand, with global warming and all, maybe the only real hurdle keeping him from greatness will be removed eventually if he sticks around long enough. ;)

Get your terms right, the global warming crowd has rebranded to climate change :-)

Well then let's hope BF never retires.

Couldn't agree more -- about the Sky, I mean. Too many people here stuck on interpreting  the world through Fargo media's green and yellow glasses, where it's all AC all the time. Most Bison fans were ready to give up part of their anatomy to get into the Big Sky before they were twice refused. Now, of course, it's nothing but criticism in Fargo for what's been the premier FCS conference in the west.

The Big Sky and Summit historically have been pretty interchangeable in terms of RPI, with its emphsis on the strength of your opponent, not on game results.  In recent years, the Summit seems to have made it a priority to schedule to enhance RPI; the Big Sky, not so much. Despite all the chest-puffing by Bison fans and media, it's interesting to remember -- and admittedly cherry-picking some facts here -- that Montana beat the AC in men's BB earlier this season, and lowly UND fell by just 2 on the road at SDSU, the Summit co-champion. Sure, the basketball tourney would be closer if UND was in the Summit. Sure, their tourney attendance looked good on TV. And that's great -- if you like a tournament arrangement that essentially gives home-court advantage to the same two teams every year.

UND has always struggled to get more than token attention from the F-M media. I remember when Sioux hockey games versus the gophs or badgers warranted only a 3-paragraph story on page C6 in Ed Kolpack's eyes. Back in the NCC, football and basketball got a little more attention -- if they were playing NDSU. The Sioux were always considered as the underdog by Fargo media, even in the midst of their 10-year domination of the AC.

UND will grudgingly get more attention from FM media when it does one thing: Win. In the mean time, I think there's a lot more that the university and coaches could be doing to promote the Big Sky, either through advertising  or simply "talking up" the league at every opportunity.

Rant over.

• Upvote 4

If the Slummit is such a great conference, why are Slummit schools constantly looking for different conferences to jump to?

It is by no means perfect, but after watching the other Dakota schools-including the women's programs-I think it has become a better fit. Particularly from a marketing perspective.

This isn't an issue solely with Fargo media. This is a regional marketing issue. With the Dakota schools in the summit, the BSC will never have the media marketing share of voice that the summit does with little effort.

I understand it is neither here nor there now, there isnt a pending invite. But a guy could hope that i could drive to Sioux falls each year to watch his team.

Moving to DI, my preference was for joining the Summit/MVFC.  The way Douple acted and the fact that football wasn't included made it clear that the Big Sky was the way to go.  Having said that, I believe the Summit is improving and heading in the right direction.  History shows lots of teams coming and going, but it looks like the long term plan is to center on the I-29 corrider with the Dakotas and Omaha.  We all know how great the NCC was as a DII conference.  Many even had the opinion that it was as good or better as some of the lower DI conferences.  So, if the Summit becomes NCC 2.0, it may become the better option.  Of course football would need to come with.  I would like to see us in a conference with the Dakota schools, Omaha, and the Montana Schools.  Throw in a 2-4 team combination of Idaho, Denver, UNC (someone needs to be the cellar dweller) and maybe EWU, and you have a pretty solid conference if you ask me.

I agree with what dmk and Matt are saying.

I think UND would be the keystone that the Summit is looking for. The four Dakota's, Omaha, Denver, ORU and Northern Colorado would make for a very strong and stable conference. After the MVC picked Loyola over NDSU and SDSU, and just looking at a map, the MVC would likely pick any of the Indiana schools or Western Ill before picking any Dakota school. Screw them. We'll control our own destiny with the Summit.

Douple is no dummie. Solidifying the Summit could land him a lifetime contract. Use whatever pull he has with the MVFC to get UND in.

I was informed of the meltdown here so admittedly I could not help myself to not come on here. 6 pages about NDSU pretty much sums it up. You guys care more about NDSU having success than trying to lift up your own program. 

The irony is pretty great on this one.  Which one of the three or four active UND threads did you read about it in?  Is it the one that has 8,500 posts and over 560,000 views?

Douple is no dummie. Solidifying the Summit could land him a lifetime contract. Use whatever pull he has with the MVFC to get UND in.

I agree with you on most of it, but this is the same guy that had two teams inquire to join as affiliated members in baseball, which would have prevented the league from having to get a waiver to keep their baseball autobid, and he refused to pursue it because he feelings had been hurt.

• Upvote 1

The irony is pretty great on this one.  Which one of the three or four active UND threads did you read about it in?  Is it the one that has 8,500 posts and over 560,000 views?

I agree with you on most of it, but this is the same guy that had two teams inquire to join as affiliated members in baseball, which would have prevented the league from having to get a waiver to keep their baseball autobid, and he refused to pursue it because he feelings had been hurt.

Most of the opinions of Douple are based on Internet gossip.  It would be fun to know the real truth about the whole deal. 

Most of the opinions of Douple are based on Internet gossip.  It would be fun to know the real truth about the whole deal. 

https://secure.forumcomm.com/?publisher_ID=1&article_id=389771

Two schools that had potential to be Summit affiliate members – Northern Colorado and North Dakota – joined the Western Athletic Conference. Both are members of the Big Sky Conference for most sports, but the Big Sky does not sponsor baseball.

Asked about UND and baseball affiliation with the Summit, Douple said it was “discussed among some members” but “(UND)

hadn’t indicated anything.”

“I know they were looking for a home for baseball, that was obvious because they joined the Big Sky,” Douple said.

UND head coach Jeff Dodson, however, told the Grand Forks Herald newspaper, “We had applied for the Summit but I never heard anything personally from them.”

Douple said Northern Colorado was discussed more on a league-wide basis.

“One of the concerns with Northern Colorado was the distance. It scared some of our members to add them as an affiliate,” Douple said.

Douple was still butthurt over UND choosing the Big Sky over the Summit League, or else why wasn't UND discussed on a league-wide basis?

I guess there is a first time for everything.  Would really throw a wrench into the rumor-mongering that you're so fond of.  Any more updates on the eligibility of UND recruits?

https://secure.forumcomm.com/?publisher_ID=1&article_id=389771

Douple was still butthurt over UND choosing the Big Sky over the Summit League, or else why wasn't UND discussed on a league-wide basis?

Man you are delusional aren't you. Even despite the fact that it is obvious the Big Sky conference affiliation puts UND at a disadvantage, and despite the fact that UND never received a Summit League invite to even make a decision between the Big Sky and Summit League, you still think UND somehow stuck it to the man and is better off because they are in the Big Sky.

As long as UND is in the Big Sky, they will struggle as a program in both football and men's basketball. Period.

Geography and Options.  There are options for travel and rivalries connections in the central part of the country.   Ya, the Big Sky is stable, why do you think that is?   Nowhere to go for any of them based on geography and football classification.   What are you going to do, join up to the MWC (very hard), or join down the WAC (yuk)?  Nowhere to go.   UND is the geography exception.

Man you are delusional aren't you. Even despite the fact that it is obvious the Big Sky conference affiliation puts UND at a disadvantage, and despite the fact that UND never received a Summit League invite to even make a decision between the Big Sky and Summit League, you still think UND somehow stuck it to the man and is better off because they are in the Big Sky.

As long as UND is in the Big Sky, they will struggle as a program in both football and men's basketball. Period.

Because Muss would have killed it in the MVFC? And Jones is sure killing it against SL teams.

Geography and Options.  There are options for travel and rivalries connections in the central part of the country.   Ya, the Big Sky is stable, why do you think that is?   Nowhere to go for any of them based on geography and football classification.   What are you going to do, join up to the MWC (very hard), or join down the WAC (yuk)?  Nowhere to go.   UND is the geography exception.

Just think what kind of a conference the SL would be if their members would've stayed put?

3 MAC teams, 8 Horizon teams, 2 MVC teams.  Thats 13 teams that have gone to better conferences from 1992-2013. You mentioned there is nowhere for BSC teams to go, football yes, basketball no. Since 1963 only 4 teams have left the Big Sky  Gonzaga, Cal State Northridge, Boise St, and Nevada. Only 2 of them are MWC teams after being in the WAC up to 3 to 4 years ago. The WCC has teams in the BSC footprint with BYU, Gonzaga, and Portland. But yet all the teams in the current BSC choose to stay put while your conference is one revolving door, of course your team has no where to go except the Big Sky.

• Upvote 1

Just think what kind of a conference the SL would be if their members would've stayed put?

3 MAC teams, 8 Horizon teams, 2 MVC teams.  Thats 13 teams that have gone to better conferences from 1992-2013. You mentioned there is nowhere for BSC teams to go, football yes, basketball no. Since 1963 only 4 teams have left the Big Sky  Gonzaga, Cal State Northridge, Boise St, and Nevada. Only 2 of them are MWC teams after being in the WAC up to 3 to 4 years ago. The WCC has teams in the BSC footprint with BYU, Gonzaga, and Portland. But yet all the teams in the current BSC choose to stay put while your conference is one revolving door, of course your team has no where to go except the Big Sky.

Chose to stay put as in no where else to go........

UND didn't receive an invite because they cancelled the Summit League's visit.  In the history of the Summit League, there has not been a single instance where they haven't extended an invite after a campus visit.  That might not normally carry a lot of weight, but when it comes from a league that has had 30 different members in its 33 year history (not even counting affiliate members), it is pretty obvious that UND was going to get one and made a decision between the two.

This is why the Summit is called the "Slummit" by some on here (including me).  And no amount of spin can change that.

Chose to stay put as in no where else to go........

So PSU couldn't move to play with Portland? EWU with Gonzaga or SUU with BYU? Maybe it's because the BSC isn't known for having a thousand affiliate members and prefer full time members.