SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ NDSU Gameyear Thread

geaux_sioux

Success in the playoffs have kept the Bison "herd" together, but attendance did drop during and after the 3-8 season. If the Bison ever pull a "Muss" and have down year after down year that herd will thin out.

Having established tailgating certainly helps them. A lot of people would continue going just for that. Besided I don't think this is something that NDSU will have to worry about for a while.

NDSU FB is doing just fine without playing UND - how's it going for UND since you moved up?  It's worked out quite well for NDSU much to the disappointment of the UND athletic department with their idea that we'll not play NDSU in any sport and that will hurt them in their transition.  Make no mistake that was their goal.  It was your choice to quit playing so live with it. Look at all your sports this year in the BSC.  How'd they do?  How's it working for you? 

Settle down man, nobody has denied the success that NDSU has had, or has insinuated (use a dictionary for this) that UND has had great success. BUT for all the whining about how UND would be wasted space on the Bison's schedule, NDSU has play some pretty crappy teams too (Incarnate Word?), aside from the talent, there is clearly money to be made in UND and NDSU playing, as dictated by NDSU's prices. Not to mention a great football atmosphere, in the game, at tailgating, at the bars. Can you imagine if NDSU had played UND last season on college gameday? You guys already have a tremendous showing of fans in downtown Fargo, but a good part of the city of Grand Forks would have been there too. I know I would have come up from Minneapolis for it (I almost did anyway). What a great environment.

I won't disagree with you that it was UND that started the issue by refusing to play NDSU right away after the Bison made the jump. Though I think the bigger error on UND's part was not making the jump at the same time. Regardless, that was a long time ago and it is time to move forward.Getting this rivalry going again makes so much sense for both schools, especially financially, but even more so ... It is fun! As fun as it will be to watch the game played in Fargo, I am sure TONS of Bison fans would travel to GF. Again, great tailgating with that many people, great football environment, and financial reward.

I won't disagree with you that it was UND that started the issue by refusing to play NDSU right away after the Bison made the jump. Though I think the bigger error on UND's part was not making the jump at the same time. Regardless, that was a long time ago and it is time to move forward.Getting this rivalry going again makes so much sense for both schools, especially financially, but even more so ... It is fun! As fun as it will be to watch the game played in Fargo, I am sure TONS of Bison fans would travel to GF. Again, great tailgating with that many people, great football environment, and financial reward.

Exactly! All this minus the one rude heckling swearing screaming Bison fan I run into almost daily here in Fargo.

NDSU FB is doing just fine without playing UND - how's it going for UND since you moved up?  It's worked out quite well for NDSU much to the disappointment of the UND athletic department with their idea that we'll not play NDSU in any sport and that will hurt them in their transition.  Make no mistake that was their goal.  It was your choice to quit playing so live with it. Look at all your sports this year in the BSC.  How'd they do?  How's it working for you? 

:lol:

• Upvote 4

Then why the premium on the game?

Exactly! All this minus the one rude heckling swearing screaming Bison fan I run into almost daily here in Fargo.

Yep, there is one in every crowd. I know our fan base has them too, as do the goofers and every other team. My in-laws are big Bison fans, so I find myself watching enough games, that i somewhat pull for them in their championship games. Guys like Bison Dan here that make me regret that.

• Upvote 2

An extra million? Your math is a little off. This will likely only affect single game tickets, which last I heard is somewhere around 4,000. Though it would be a cherry on top if the raised their season tickets in 2015 and 2019 and further stuck it to their own fan base, a group who we keep being told by and large don't want the game (though I don't believe it for one second).

I'll give you that UND took a lower guarantee than they should have with the stipulation that the net money they receive won't be far off from what they could get elsewhere due to limited travel costs required for the game, meaning FU ended up with the savings. Bubba insisted on the game(s) and he got them. Going to be a good test to see where his defense stacks up and how far the offense has come. Being the third game of the season, most of the small kinks will hopefully be ironed out.

Sorry- thought that would be reflected in their season ticket prices as well for a nice $25 x 19000+ bump for this game, and similar for 2019.

Make no mistake.  UND is NDSU's biggest rival.  Which is saying something because we are in different conferences in all sports and haven't played in football in 12 years.  Sure the NDSU brass are going to give the perception that UND is not a rival.  But I bet if you asked Bison fans, over 90% would say playing UND is the biggest regular season game of the year next year.

2004 called.  They want their cliches back.  

• Upvote 2

NDSU FB is doing just fine without playing UND - how's it going for UND since you moved up? It's worked out quite well for NDSU much to the disappointment of the UND athletic department with their idea that we'll not play NDSU in any sport and that will hurt them in their transition. Make no mistake that was their goal. It was your choice to quit playing so live with it. Look at all your sports this year in the BSC. How'd they do? How's it working for you?

Someone's a little bothered, uhh?

NDSU has done very well since moving up, that much is clear, but UND will get to where NDSU is in due time. UND has a commitment to hockey which has slowed the support to football and basketball a bit, but it's coming around.

As for the rivalry and it's discontinuance ON THE SCHEDULE , get over it. UND will ALWAYS be NDSU's number one rival and NDSU supporters looked/ look like idiots for denying that. It should be on the schedule every year, and NDSU's arrogance is as much to blame for that as UND's mindset in the mid 2000s.

Price of ticket seems indicative of what the athletic department thinks it's worth.

I don't think this game's value will continue to be as high as some others think. I believe Hammersmith on bv put it well awhile back.

Way too lazy to find the post but I believe the premise was that each time it's played, as long as the two are in different conferences, will be less and less of a big deal... Probably just a bigger version of the basketball game.

Price of ticket seems indicative of what the athletic department thinks it's worth.

I don't think this game's value will continue to be as high as some others think. I believe Hammersmith on bv put it well awhile back.

Way too lazy to find the post but I believe the premise was that each time it's played, as long as the two are in different conferences, will be less and less of a big deal... Probably just a bigger version of the basketball game.

:lol:

I believe the UND/NDSU football will stay a big deal in football as long as each school attempts to keep a strong program. UND has a great football tradition and after a dip in the road it will return to normal success. It will remain a big deal as long as Fargo and Grand Forks decide to leave their city locations 75 miles apart in the same state. It is quite likely they will stay where they are. As long as they keep playing it will be a big deal. You can count on it. In the same conferences is even a bigger deal. I will give you that.

Do you know any young people at UND or NDSU? Any animosity between the two groups of students is essentially nonexistent. Those are your future fans/donors/etc.

Actually yes I do.

In fact, last year at a small town ice bocce tourney in northern Minnesota in February that I attended, some undergrads put together a coed team of 4.  Their "uniforms" were laced with "sioux suck" all over their bison-themed rags.

They still attend FU. 

That's just one example off the top of my head.  The other would be the student sections chanting "sioux suck" at all bison athletic events.  All of them.  Regardless who the play.

Any more questions?...

• Upvote 1

Bingo.    That pretty much tells you all you need to know.    Why do we have so many Bison fans posting on here when they don't even know what they are talking about?    It would be easier to carry on a conversation if they would at least present information that at least close to reality  They lose their credibility when defending themselves with total baloney. 

You mean the basketball game that continues to be both the highest priced and attended on NDSU's home schedule? 

• Upvote 1

Actually yes I do.

In fact, last year at a small town ice bocce tourney in northern Minnesota in February that I attended, some undergrads put together a coed team of 4.  Their "uniforms" were laced with "sioux suck" all over their bison-themed rags.

They still attend FU. 

That's just one example off the top of my head.  The other would be the student sections chanting "sioux suck" at all bison athletic events.  All of them.  Regardless who the play.

Any more questions?...

Marcus Williams approves this message.