SiouxSports.com Forum

Boston-Not A Jinx Thread

runaroundsioux

It's not like I travel to Boston regularly so take my thoughts and sift them with all of the other information you get.  But a couple of thoughts based on past visits:

TD Garden is essentially downtown, and Boston is small enough that a significant amount of the interesting things are in walking distance (assuming you don't mind doing some walking) or the trains/subway can get you most anywhere else.

Where to stay:  Seems like a personal preference thing.    My wife and I stayed downtown (Parker House) many years ago.   We didn't rent a car and saved money that way, but paid more for the room of course.  But almost everything we wanted to do was in walking distance.  Almost all of the history (Freedom Trail items, etc.) was all accessible from there, as well as just walking to the North End for Italian food, etc.     The other option, very doable because of public transportation, is to find a cheaper hotel farther out, and just hop the train/subway to and fro each day.

Where to eat:  Great food all over Boston.  People have their favorites, and there are so many good places to eat you don't need to worry about missing out on 1 person's FAVORITE BEST place because the place you choose to go will be someone else's FAVORITE BEST place!   Just stay away from the national chains, and eat local.  You'll be amazed at the options available to you, especially if you try the North End.   You could stay for a week in Boston, and eat every meal at a new restaurant in the North End and not hit every mom and pop place, and that's a GOOD thing.

If you dig pastries, stop in at Mike's Pastries on Hanover Street in North End.  Incredible selection and reputation to boot. 

North End Restaurants that I have been to:

Trattoria Il Panino - very good, small, homey

Pagliuca's - similar

Mother Anna's - similar

Tresco - more upscale (I think this is owned by Ray Bourque if you want a little hockey connection, but it won't look anything like a hockey place on the inside.  It's finer dining and damn good).

There are plenty of others to try.  I need to get back!

A little on the fringe there, but still close to the waterfront is Joe's American Bar and Grill, which despite the name has some good Italian food and had great clam chowder last I was there (long time ago)

If you want Seafood, you can't go wrong at Legal Seafood.   It's a local chain but highly thought of with fantastic clam chowder.

A taxi driver once told me the best place to get a lobster roll was the Barking Crab but I've not had a chance to get there to try it.

No Name Restaurant - ok, this might be a little risky because some of the reviews aren't so good and the taxi driver didn't recommend it when I asked him, but on business my boss took me to this place back in the late 1990's or early 2000's.  It's this non-descript place right on the waterfront and they have access to fresh catch.   No frills, not much ambience, but it was great seafood at reasonable prices.   Do your own research, but it's not something we can get in the midwest!

Disclaimer: This can not, by any means, be construed as a jinx, as we are going to Boston for the F4 whether the boys make it or not.

Wondering where to stay. Walking distance. Never been there. Anyone who has or is, advice appreciated. Thanks.

Wow, this jinx is much stronger than that disclaimer you wrote. :)

Disclaimer: This can not, by any means, be construed as a jinx, as we are going to Boston for the F4 whether the boys make it or not Boston Marathon, a week early.

Wondering where to stay. Walking distance. Never been there. Anyone who has or is, advice appreciated. Thanks.

Better? Thanks for all the good advice so far.

• Upvote 1

I hope that if we make it there are bazillions if Sioux fans. I was in St.Louis, Denver, MSP and Philly. I was a little disappointed in the fan turnout in Philly, the rest were good. MSP being awesome of course.

Obviously this has everything to do with proximity but Im hoping Boston can surprise...

They team is committed. Let us match that..

Go Sioux!!

...Yababy!! It's time for me to change my name!

I went there  a very long time ago... Good food. 

Me,too. 1990.  Got to watch Red Sox get beaten by the Twins. Lots of things to see. Had 2 lobsters for  $10. Seven of us in a little hole in the wall bar with a life size picture of Ted Williams holding a bat with just a towel around his waist on the wall. Our bill was $177......$77 for the lobsters.....$100 for beer. It had been a long day. 

In addition to all of the historical stuff like the Freedom Trail, the aquarium is amazing.  The Duck tours sound cheesy but are actually pretty cool.  You get a tour of Boston in an amphibious vehicle.  You start on land and then drive into the river and get to see the city from the water.  

Also agree with Legal Seafood.  You won't find fresher seafood.  

Been to Boston 4 times now, stayed both down by Boston Commons and outlying places using train to get downtown. Both work well, but if limited time, higher cost downtown may have to be considered.

I also always go to Legal Seafoods on each visit.

Walked the Freedom Walk 3 times now.

Always stop at Union Oyster House (north end of Freedom Trail) for a lobster sandwich (Mmmm) too- oldest reataurant in Boston I think.

Beware of the "Cheers" bar by the Commons- its not "the one". The real one was Bull and Finch Pub- which was closed for change to new business the last time I went there.

I've never done outlying area travels, just down in the heart of the city.

Always stop at Union Oyster House (north end of Freedom Trail) for a lobster sandwich (Mmmm) too- oldest reataurant in Boston I think.

Oooo, thanks for the tip.  I'll try to remember this if I'm ever back downtown Boston.   Definitely hope to visit there again.

I was stationed at Fort Devens, MA. Fort Devin is an old de-commissioned military base that the Boston Bomber is currently being held.  I also lived 30 miles west of. Boston. It's an awesome town and there's lots to do. For those that end up going to Mass for the Frozen Four, I highly recommend going up to Nashua, NH, there's no sales tax.

I also like the North End for Italian food.

I was stationed at Fort Devens, MA. Fort Devin is an old de-commissioned military base that the Boston Bomber is currently being held. I also lived 30 miles west of. Boston. It's an awesome town and there's lots to do. For those that end up going to Mass for the Frozen Four, I highly recommend going up to Nashua, NH, there's no sales tax.

I also like the North End for Italian food.

Should we go to Nashua simply because there's no sales tax? That doesn't seem worth it...