SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Niagara Purple Eagles

AZSIOUX

I think O'D was simply amazing this weekend. Video evidence to prove it. While UND isn't a bunch of saints, UMD is by far one of the dirtiest college hockey teams that I have seen this season. That being said, it was a fun series to watch and there's no way that next weekend's series against NU will be this good. Also, UND "should" take four-for-four over the next two weekends if they play like this did this weekend. 

If they play like they did on sat they "should" go four for four, if they play like they did friday all bets can be off.

Don't get me wrong... I'd love to roll to two 7-0 victories, but the Ws look the same in the pairwise if they are 1-0. Get the sweep... all is well.

Yes however this team has the potential to make a deep run in the NCAA and outings like Friday night against the Dawgs just won’t cut it….they need to put there foot on the pedal from here on out…play with tenacity every game and stomp all opponents… 4 shut outs and double digit point totals over the next two weekends would sit better than 4 one or two point down to the wire victories going into the UNO series on the road….

When they ran O'D's hat trick highlights Starman goes a lot of the locals don't see what he does and complain about his skill set. 

OD has had 14 total goals in his first 3 years at UND and had 5 goals so far this season prior to Saturday.  So 19 total goals in 3 1/2 years prior to Saturday........and Starman has seen him play in how many games prior to Saturday?  I think OD is playing at a level this season that he hasn't played at in his prior 3 years.  It is good to see and that will benefit this team greatly moving forward.  Also it never hurts to get a hat trick on national TV but let's not get ahead of ourselves because of one game...although a hat trick from him every other weekend would be nice!

OD has had 14 total goals in his first 3 years at UND and had 5 goals so far this season prior to Saturday. So 19 total goals in 3 1/2 years prior to Saturday........and Starman has seen him play in how many games prior to Saturday? I think OD is playing at a level this season that he hasn't played at in his prior 3 years. It is good to see and that will benefit this team greatly moving forward. Also it never hurts to get a hat trick on national TV but let's not get ahead of ourselves because of one game...although a hat trick from him every other weekend would be nice!

I thought OD was good in the 2nd half last season also.

Yes however this team has the potential to make a deep run in the NCAA and outings like Friday night against the Dawgs just won’t cut it….they need to put there foot on the pedal from here on out…play with tenacity every game and stomp all opponents… 4 shut outs and double digit point totals over the next two weekends would sit better than 4 one or two point down to the wire victories going into the UNO series on the road….

Actually, I completely disagree. Sure, we need to play with tenacity, but it means absolutely nothing if we blow them out. A win is a win is a win. We won't blow teams out 7-0 in the tournament. Having our team win close games where they need to claw and scratch right until the last horn is what will benefit us most in the long run.

Regardless, we need to win Friday night. Then... move on to Saturday. Good old cliches ring true. One game at a time.

Regardless, we need to win Friday night. Then... move on to Saturday. Good old cliches ring true. One game at a time.

And that starts with the little things: winning draws; winning battles along the boards; winning races to pucks. 

I didn't see a whole lot of those three Friday night. 

Actually, I completely disagree. Sure, we need to play with tenacity, but it means absolutely nothing if we blow them out. A win is a win is a win. We won't blow teams out 7-0 in the tournament. Having our team win close games where they need to claw and scratch right until the last horn is what will benefit us most in the long run.

There is no reason why this team should be scratching and clawing against Niagara and CC ….sometimes this team seems to play to the level of its competition problem is what happens come tournament time when you under estimate your opponent and what happens when you have a horrible .6 sec mishap.…bottom line this team has the talent to put teams away and they need to do that

There is no reason why this team should be scratching and clawing against Niagara and CC ….sometimes this team seems to play to the level of its competition problem is what happens come tournament time when you under estimate your opponent and what happens when you have a horrible .6 sec mishap.…bottom line this team has the talent to put teams away and they need to do that

So you think UND played down to the level of Minnesota in the Frozen Four last year because they underestimated them and that's why they lost?... seriously?

• Upvote 1

So you think UND played down to the level of Minnesota in the Frozen Four last year because they underestimated them and that's why they lost?... seriously?

No…. we played are hearts out that game….I have witnessed many loses in the last few minutes of games do to mental break downs, this team needs to stay focused, Friday night against UMD is a great example along with Bemidji home opener and Lake Superior State, yes we won that game and  I do believe it was a great character win but then why come out so flat against UMD.

Crush Niagara , Crush CC then get prepared for a grueling end of year schedule….

No…. we played are hearts out that game….I have witnessed many loses in the last few minutes of games do to mental break downs, this team needs to stay focused, Friday night against UMD is a great example along with Bemidji home opener and Lake Superior State, yes we won that game and  I do believe it was a great character win but then why come out so flat against UMD.

Crush Niagara , Crush CC then get prepared for a grueling end of year schedule….

you do realize that UMD is ahead of us in the Pairwise, and if this was the NCAA tourney, our win on Sat would be an upset?  This team is solid, but not great...yet...we do not have future NHL superstars on this team, but we have good skill and good character.  If Jordan Schmaltz starts taking over games, we can go a long way.  If he continues to play like the next Brian Lee, we will not go very far...we also really need LJ to start scoring some goals...

Cpmpletly agree. Blow these guys out, let the boys have fun and pad their stats.

you do realize that UMD is ahead of us in the Pairwise, and if this was the NCAA tourney, our win on Sat would be an upset? This team is solid, but not great...yet...we do not have future NHL superstars on this team, but we have good skill and good character. If Jordan Schmaltz starts taking over games, we can go a long way. If he continues to play like the next Brian Lee, we will not go very far...we also really need LJ to start scoring some goals...

Agree on Jordan.......Nick has the same talent to take over games as well. Those 2 IMO are the key guys going forward. LJ...he simply has taken a couple steps backwards from last year.

you do realize that UMD is ahead of us in the Pairwise, and if this was the NCAA tourney, our win on Sat would be an upset? This team is solid, but not great...yet...we do not have future NHL superstars on this team, but we have good skill and good character. If Jordan Schmaltz starts taking over games, we can go a long way. If he continues to play like the next Brian Lee, we will not go very far...we also really need LJ to start scoring some goals...

I'm still high on schmaltz. He came in as an offensive defenseman and that's exactly what he's been. As for LJ, not exactly sure what type of player he will end up being. Judging purely on what I've seen (and that's a ton of games) I think he may be more of a third line player (and I was really high on him coming in). He does win draws but each game I watch he starts looking more like grinder that doesn't go very hard. He tends to take lazy stick penalties at terrible times and he simply doesn't hit the stat sheet like a top 6 forward. Also, his footspeed must improve. Hopefully he puts it together by his junior/senior year. We're going to need him.

I'm still high on schmaltz. He came in as an offensive defenseman and that's exactly what he's been. As for LJ, not exactly sure what type of player he will end up being. Judging purely on what I've seen (and that's a ton of games) I think he may be more of a third line player (and I was really high on him coming in). He does win draws but each game I watch he starts looking more like grinder that doesn't go very hard. He tends to take lazy stick penalties at terrible times and he simply doesn't hit the stat sheet like a top 6 forward. Also, his footspeed must improve. Hopefully he puts it together by his junior/senior year. We're going to need him.

He wins draws? (.487) for the year.

Which goes back to what someone post a couple days ago.....where is the top offensive skill guys compared to other UND teams? In reality if everyone forward is healthy IMO UND really has only 4 top six guys...Mac, Parks, NS and Drake...with Chyzyk a borderline top 6 player. LJ and Murphy get PP time......and some wonder why our PP struggles.

Which goes back to what someone post a couple days ago.....where is the top offensive skill guys compared to other UND teams? In reality if everyone forward is healthy IMO UND really has only 4 top six guys...Mac, Parks, NS and Drake...with Chyzyk a borderline top 6 player.

Completely agree. Hak has been recruiting more defenseman, which I actually like to a certain extent. As far as this years team your probably right. Next year some of the underclassman will take a step forward (they always do) and we're getting some nice frosh forwards.