SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 NFL Playoffs

jodcon

The Packers should have fired McCarthy on the spot yesterday. He has a history of showing that he has no clue how to make in game decisions. He doesn't understand when to go for it on fourth down, when to use his timeouts at the end of a half, or how to call a decent game. Kicking those two field goals were absolutely brutal decisions. There are a lot of goats for the Packers coming out of that game but none were a bigger reason for why they lost the game than McCarthy.

I would have loved to see the Patriots go up against the Packers instead of the Seahawks simply because of how big of a mismatch there is between Belichick and McCarthy.

It was very apparent which HC yesterday had a pair and which HC had his tucked between his legs.

• Upvote 1

I agree on McCarthy. A fourth and goal from the one foot line and you kick a FG? WTF your telling your team I don't think we can get a fricking foot! Plus even if you don't get it Seattle would be starting inside their own 3 yard line. And then 3 runs to attempt to run off time in the third when a first down would have pretty much sealed it. Not to mention you have a HOF QB! Come on man!

Still not understanding all the hate for Bostick when Clinton-Dix had all day to bat down that 2 point conversion...

Did anyone else notice the fan in the end zone wearing the #9 punter jersey on the fake field goal TD? His reaction to the play was absolutely priceless.

When watching the replay I noticed Nelson is basically right behind Bostick and Bostick said after the game he was supposed to block if that would have happened Nelson probably catches the ball. The thing I would be most upset with if I was the special teams coach is that it looked like you had it set up well but one guy tried to be the hero instead of just doing his job and ended up not making the play. You are right though many plays that contributed to that Packer meltdown.

Had a hard time getting my 9 year old daughter to sleep last night.  She was crushed by the loss...then was afraid she was going to have a nightmare where she would be forced to jump from a burning building only to have #86 drop her!! 

Well, now she knows how I felt on January 24th, 2010.  It still hurts to this very day.  But if it makes her feel any better, I imagine Joe Buck had the same problem last night! :p

Well, now she knows how I felt on January 24th, 2010.  It still hurts to this very day.  But if it makes her feel any better, I imagine Joe Buck had the same problem last night! :p

BountyGate and OT rule changes soon to follow.  Quite an eventful and heartbreaking game. 

I've been a Viking fan since the age of 5 and have learned to not get my hopes too high so 2009-10 didn't affect me like years prior. After the Darrin Nelson drop in the corner of the end zone in the 1987 NFC championship game followed by the 1998 gong show, and then the NY Giant beat down in 2000, I keep myself pretty grounded with low expectations. The 2010 NFC title game I metally prepared myself all week for a big letdown. The Vikings didn't disappoint...

Had a hard time getting my 9 year old daughter to sleep last night. She was crushed by the loss...then was afraid she was going to have a nightmare where she would be forced to jump from a burning building only to have #86 drop her!!

Lucky they had the "hands" guys out there, but he should have used them instead of his helmet

The Packers should have fired McCarthy on the spot yesterday. He has a history of showing that he has no clue how to make in game decisions. He doesn't understand when to go for it on fourth down, when to use his timeouts at the end of a half, or how to call a decent game. Kicking those two field goals were absolutely brutal decisions. There are a lot of goats for the Packers coming out of that game but none were a bigger reason for why they lost the game than McCarthy.

I would have loved to see the Patriots go up against the Packers instead of the Seahawks simply because of how big of a mismatch there is between Belichick and McCarthy.

It wouldn't be SiouxSports.com without someone calling for a coach to be fired, would it?  ;)

• Upvote 2

Patriots being accused of deflating the footballs during the game. Can't make it up. Only thing flat was the Colts themselves.

NE could have used a bowling ball on offense and still won, as long as Blount could carry it Indy was screwed. 

The AFC East - easily the worst division in pro football over the last 20 years.

Ha! In the last 20 years, an AFC East team has participated in the Super Bowl 8 times and in the AFC Championship 13 times!

You could definately make a case that the NFC North has been the worst division in the last 20 years though. Packers and that is it. Bears had one good year I think........

It wouldn't be SiouxSports.com without someone calling for a coach to be fired, would it?  ;)

I know I'm living up to the stereotypical Sioux fan demanding a coach's head on the platter but McCarthy is an awful coach. Maybe he is good during the week but Aaron Rodgers has covered up how poor of an in-game coach he has been for years. Bill Barnwell over on Grantland.com can say it much better than I can and he has mentioned McCarthy repeatedly for years. He has been a weekly mention in Barnwell's Thank You For Not Coaching segments. McCarthy likes to run meaningless run plays right before the half that has gotten his running back hurt before. He doesn't know how to use timeouts around the 2 minute warning. It's really simple, call the timeouts before the 2 minute warning because it saves more time, an 8th grader with a Madden game can figure that out. He was super conservative on 4th down which cost his team the game in my opinion. If you can't do the simple things like managing the clock, how can he possibly be the best fit as a coach for one of the best teams in the NFL? There are much better coaches that have been fired over much smaller things (Harbaugh, Rex Ryan, and John Fox).

I know I'm living up to the stereotypical Sioux fan demanding a coach's head on the platter but McCarthy is an awful coach. Maybe he is good during the week but Aaron Rodgers has covered up how poor of an in-game coach he has been for years. Bill Barnwell over on Grantland.com can say it much better than I can and he has mentioned McCarthy repeatedly for years. He has been a weekly mention in Barnwell's Thank You For Not Coaching segments. McCarthy likes to run meaningless run plays right before the half that has gotten his running back hurt before. He doesn't know how to use timeouts around the 2 minute warning. It's really simple, call the timeouts before the 2 minute warning because it saves more time, an 8th grader with a Madden game can figure that out. He was super conservative on 4th down which cost his team the game in my opinion. If you can't do the simple things like managing the clock, how can he possibly be the best fit as a coach for one of the best teams in the NFL? There are much better coaches that have been fired over much smaller things (Harbaugh, Rex Ryan, and John Fox).

OK, so how good of a coach would Belichick have looked like had Tom Brady been pasted a second or third time in yesterday's game LONG AFTER the outcome was not in doubt? Instead, Bill is treated like some demagogue when he should have been excoriated for leaving Mr Bundchen in for basically the whole game.

I count 7 - ALL Patriots. The Dolphins, Bills, and Jets have all been beyond bad for the better part of that stretch.

Oops, I was counting the 1993 Bills, but I guess that would be 21 seasons ago.  Jets recently went to back-to-back AFC title games.  But I agree, that compared to New England, there is a significant drop off.  But you could say that about the league as a whole since the Bob Kraft bought the Patriots.

OK, so how good of a coach would Belichick have looked like had Tom Brady been pasted a second or third time in yesterday's game LONG AFTER the outcome was not in doubt? Instead, Bill is treated like some demagogue when he should have been excoriated for leaving Mr Bundchen in for the whole game.

I agree that Brady should have come out of the game much earlier.  I was cringing on that one low hit on the series prior to the one where he came out. 

Redsox fan is spot on. McCarthy is at best a marginal in game coach and in the 2nd half he has a tendency to be brutal. And I really struggle w Capers as DC. I have witnessed the "3rd and 19" debacle too many time to count. ARog covers up lots of coaching issues.

Lacey had 10 carries for 54 yards in first quarter but in that same quarter you can't trust him to get under a yard on 2 carries....twice! C'mon Mike!

I agree that Brady should have come out of the game much earlier.  I was cringing on that one low hit on the series prior to the one where he came out. 

I agree as well. I was shouting at the TV when I saw that hit because I thought it was going to be a serious knee injury. Belichick should be questioned as to why Brady was in the game at that point. Doesn't put him in the same class as McCarthy. He is generally considered at worst completely inept at his job and at best a good in week prep coach that struggles at managing games. 

I agree as well. I was shouting at the TV when I saw that hit because I thought it was going to be a serious knee injury. Belichick should be questioned as to why Brady was in the game at that point. Doesn't put him in the same class as McCarthy. He is generally considered at worst completely inept at his job and at best a good in week prep coach that struggles at managing games.

Inept enough to lead a wild-card team to a Super Bowl championship...d'okay!

Inept enough to lead a wild-card team to a Super Bowl championship...d'okay!

McCarthy is to Rodgers what Jim Caldwell was to Peyton Manning. Both bad coaches that were lucky enough to have amazing quarterbacks. McCarthy has a history of being a bad in game coach and he made two terrible decisions that were the biggest factor in his team losing Sunday's game. 

McCarthy is to Rodgers what Jim Caldwell was to Peyton Manning. Both bad coaches that were lucky enough to have amazing quarterbacks.

LOL!

Q) Who was the QB coach/interim offensive coordinator for the 2012 Ravens team that went into Foxboro and upset the Patriots en route to winning the Super Bowl two weeks later?

A) Jim Caldwell.

Q) Who was the coach that lost one player and went from super bowl contender to 2-14?

A) Jim Caldwell

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nfl-week-8-detroit-lions-atlanta-falcons-arizona-cardinals-new-orleans-saints/

Just read that article where it discusses Jim Caldwell and Mike Smith's decision making and then try and tell why I'm wrong when I say Jim Caldwell is a bad coach. Trying to argue that Caldwell and McCarthy aren't bad in game decision makers is like trying to argue 2 + 2 doesn't equal 4

"For whatever he offers as an offensive guru and a quarterback whisperer, Mike McCarthy is one of the worst in-game decision-makers in the league. It’s one thing to get fourth-and-1 decisions wrong, and McCarthy did in this game. But it was more than that. This is the same coach who ran a meaningless pre-halftime draw last year with Eddie Lacy, who promptly sprained his ankle. It’s the same McCarthy who threw his challenge flagon a fumble that would have been automatically reviewed. He kicks extra points to go down 12uses his timeouts after the two-minute warning, andeven that’s too much to ask sometimes." 

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/afc-nfc-championship-patriots-colts-seahawks-packers/

From Barnwell on McCarthy's decision making.