SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 NFL Playoffs

jodcon

Q) Who was the coach that lost one player and went from super bowl contender to 2-14?

A) Jim Caldwell

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nfl-week-8-detroit-lions-atlanta-falcons-arizona-cardinals-new-orleans-saints/

Just read that article where it discusses Jim Caldwell and Mike Smith's decision making and then try and tell why I'm wrong when I say Jim Caldwell is a bad coach. Trying to argue that Caldwell and McCarthy aren't bad in game decision makers is like trying to argue 2 + 2 doesn't equal 4

Oh please. The moment Peyton Manning was lost for the year is the moment Jim Irsay was content going 0-16 in order to get the #1 seed in the NFL draft so he could pick Andrew Luck.

Oh please. The moment Peyton Manning was lost for the year is the moment Jim Irsay was content going 0-16 in order to get the #1 seed in the NFL draft so he could pick Andrew Luck.

From the moment Peyton Manning was hurt, Jim Irsay continued to be high on heroin or whatever it was he was busted for. The front office may have been tanking but the coaches and players sure as hell weren't unless they had no problem losing their jobs. Getting Luck helped them recover quickly but so did getting rid of Caldwell.

From the moment Peyton Manning was hurt, Jim Irsay continued to be high on heroin or whatever it was he was busted for. The front office may have been tanking but the coaches and players sure as hell weren't unless they had no problem losing their jobs. Getting Luck helped them recover quickly but so did getting rid of Caldwell.

You're dreaming if you think the Patriots would have wound up anything better than about 5-11 with Curtis Painter and Kerry Collins at QB for 16 games this season.

2013 Lions: 7-9

2014 Lions: 11-5

You're dreaming if you think the Patriots would have wound up anything better than about 5-11 with Curtis Painter and Kerry Collins at QB for 16 games this season.

2013 Lions: 7-9

2014 Lions: 11-5

2013 Lions in one score games: 3-6 including 4 one score losses in the last 6 games of the season.

2014 Lions in one score games: 6-1

Much more intelligent statisticians than me have looked at it and said teams tend to regress towards the mean (.500 record) after having an abnormally good or abnormally bad seasons in one score games. Now Schwartz was also a pretty poor coach. But just look at the example I provided you of how hilariously stupid some of the decisions Caldwell makes are. 

The Patriots went 11-5 with Matt Cassell as their starter for a full season. While not as bad as Curtis Painter, Cassell definitely is a bad quarterback. This year the Browns won 7 games with Brian Hoyer. Bills 9 games with Ryan Fitzpatrick. Eagles 10 games with Mark Sanchez and Foles. The Rams 6 games with whoever Bradford's backup was. The Cardinals won 11 with the fearsome foursome of Palmer, Stanton, Lindley, and Logan Thomas. That's a pretty solid list of bad quarterbacks winning more than 5 games.

I'm sorry were you trying to say Caldwell's work with the Ravens is a sign he isn't a bad coach, Year before Caldwell was the Ravens coordinator they were 16th in yards and 10 in scoring offense. Year he was the Ravens OC, 29th and 25th. Year after he left they improved to 12th and 8th respectively. Detroit went from 6th in yards and 13th in scoring last year to 19th in yards and 22nd in scoring this year. That looks good for an offensive coach...

The Patriots went 11-5 with Matt Cassell as their starter for a full season. While not as bad as Curtis Painter, Cassell definitely is a bad quarterback.

3,116 passing yards, 27 TD passes, and only 7 INTs in 2010 with the Chiefs...yea, that Cassell guy sucked.

3,116 passing yards, 27 TD passes, and only 7 INTs in 2010 with the Chiefs...yea, that Cassell guy sucked.

You sure like to defend people that aren't very good at their jobs. Yes the Matt Cassel that has more career turnovers than touchdowns and a career 80.1 quarterback rating sucks. The Matt Cassel that hadn't started a game since high school prior to being an 11-5 quarterback for the Patriots, wasn't good. The career season that you mentioned left him behind the legends Kerry Collins and David Garrard in ESPN's QBR and just one spot ahead of Mark Sanchez for the season. Yeah, I don't think that guy is very good.

You sure like to defend people that aren't very good at their jobs.

And you seem to enjoy defending a head coach who has lost his last two Super Bowls - I imagine Belichick will need to go if he suddenly winds up 0 for his last 3...

I suppose you'll find an excuse for deflated footballs too...

But I'll agree to disagree. That's what makes sports fun. You can debate the value of people far better at a game than you or I will ever be with a complete stranger and have fun doing it. I've had fun these last couple of hours, so thanks for the disagreement.

The team lost - fire the coach. It's not exactly a minority opinion here at CanTheCoach, er, SiouxSports.

And you seem to enjoy defending a head coach who has lost his last two Super Bowls - I imagine Belichick will need to go if he suddenly winds up 0 for his last 3...

I suppose you'll find an excuse for deflated footballs too...

If you ain't cheating you ain't trying :p

Honestly I think Belichick is a humongous asshole but a good coach and great at getting the most out of his players. I also think he was lucky to have Tom Brady. There's a reason he was fired as a coach when he didn't have a QB like Tom Brady. Belichick isn't immaculate. He was outcoached in two straight Super Bowls by Coughlin. He almost cost us having Tom Brady for the Super Bowl by leaving him in too long on Sunday. If the Patriots lose to the Seahawks, I will still think Belichick is a good coach and that Tom Brady is one of the best QB's ever. 

Honestly I think Belichick is a humongous asshole but a good coach and great at getting the most out of his players. I also think he was lucky to have Tom Brady. There's a reason he was fired as a coach when he didn't have a QB like Tom Brady. Belichick isn't immaculate. He was outcoached in two straight Super Bowls by Coughlin. He almost cost us having Tom Brady for the Super Bowl by leaving him in too long on Sunday. If the Patriots lose to the Seahawks, I will still think Belichick is a good coach and that Tom Brady is one of the best QB's ever.

Frank Caliendo's act had gotten a little old but the Belichick/Rex Ryan bit on Sunday was pretty funny.

No sense in listening to Brady who will tell you he is lucky to have Belichick. They have benefitted from each other. Anyone who doesn't recognize Belichick as an excellent coach I don't believe is being objective. I'm not a Patriots fan but the guy is a good coach with or without Brady. Every successful coach has great players. They are able to get the most out of them and make the good ones play their roles and as a team become great. Belichick has done that.
  • Upvote 2

No sense in listening to Brady who will tell you he is lucky to have Belichick. They have benefitted from each other. Anyone who doesn't recognize Belichick as an excellent coach I don't believe is being objective. I'm not a Patriots fan but the guy is a good coach with or without Brady. Every successful coach has great players. They are able to get the most out of them and make the good ones play their roles and as a team become great. Belichick has done that.

He learned from his failures in Cleveland in the early 1990's and improved his people skills.  The result is what the Patriots are today.

Fire McCarthy!

This message is gobc approved..........

Bottom line.......there was way too much coaching not to lose on the GB side Sunday...and Mike has done this for years.

And he stated after the game that he isn't questioning any of his decisions. Making bad decisions is one thing, but refusing to learn from them is worse.