SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Hockey Mid-Season Break thoughts....

AZSIOUX

100% agree with this. We lose way to many face-offs in our own end that lead to scoring chances and running around. We need to find more than one decent draw man (Mac can't take every draw). Face-offs are key to puck possession and we need much improvement.

Simonson and I believe Johnson has been winning tons of draws as well. I thought, as a team, we have been a good faceoff team. Anyone have any stats?

Simonson and I believe Johnson has been winning tons of draws as well. I thought, as a team, we have been a good faceoff team. Anyone have any stats?

Simonson I can agree but Johnson loses more face-offs clean in the D-zone than anyone I can remember. He is the one that stands out most to me as one who needs to improve. He might not take nearly as many now if he remains on wing with Schmaltz centering that line.

Team faceoff win % is .534, so far this year. Last year, the team win % was .523. Johnson has not been good in the circle (.475).

• Upvote 1

still haven't seen a gf post that could be considered motivational (of those that are readable)

Correct, most of  the posts by the moniker "gfhockey" are of the drive by shooting variety, and are meant to inflame and piss people off. Nothing more, nothing less. I highly doubt they're hanging out with Arch Simonson, Hal Gershman, Doc Brown, et al.  

To suggest that a Spencer Penrose Trophy candidate would read their delusions of grandeur and take said suggestions are comical at best.

I guess my view on the season thus far is the team has generally done what it has to do.  I wouldn't characterize it as a very good start to the season, or anything like that.  I would just grade it as satisfactory.

I don't think we've played that tough of a schedule.  If you look at the 10 games we played against decent teams (Providence, Miami, UNO, Denver and SCSU) we are 5-3-2, with six of the games at home.  That's ok, but I certainly don't think it qualifies as something to get overly excited about.

The key is we haven't hurt ourselves, and coupled with the good out of conference record of the NCHC, they aren't going to have to play .700 hockey to grab an at large position in the tournament.

Positives include the play of Zane and the defense.  Drake and Bryn have really improved.  Tucker P. has been a real nice surprise and Poganski and Simonson seem capable of playing the college game.

I have some concerns.  We are not physically strong on the blue line.  The team can really struggle when you get some big, strong forwards grinding away.  They don't have a Ben Blood type defenseman who can just go in and clear out the middle of the net, or physically handle any sized forward who is grinding along the boards.

The power play worries me as well.  We were a blue line in power play, and the good teams have really figured out how to pressure us out top.  Until we can start to figure out how to make them pay down low, with our forwards, ala a Ryan Duncan, I don't see us having a ton of power play success.

I like the competitiveness of the team.  Too often in the last couple of years it has seemed that a two goal, or even one goal lead heading into the third was insurmountable, but I don't feel that way about this team.

I'd really like to see Jordan S. step up and start to take over games like we know he is capable of in the second half.  I'd like to see O'Donnell become an offensive force like I think he can be.

It should be fun.  Great teams in the conference this year and it's going to be a grind, and a great conference post-season.

1st half team thoughts:

MVP: Stecher. Hasn't been a game all season when I haven't said to myself "This kid is really really good". Arguably our best Dman and is a beast on the PK.

Most improved: Chyzyk. Has turned himself into a solid top 6 guy.

Best newcomer: Poolman. Guy is flat out a hockey player.

A guy UND can't lose for any bit of time: Zane. Circa 12/5 w Cam.

Should be producing more: LJ. Was expecting a big jump from him to his So. year.

My face is in a milk carton: Murphy. No goals in his career to date. 'Nuf said.

Guy who could carry UND to #8: 2 actually. Zane. "Hot goalie" minus frequent softie.

Jordan. Uber talent to be the best player on the ice every game.

Best first half start under Hak. This season will come down to 4 games...2 home games at Scheels Arena in West Regional then 2 at F4.

Can UND put together a 4 game winning streak when it matters?

Simple question

Pretty well sums it up for me, although Drake is my current MVP.

I guess my view on the season thus far is the team has generally done what it has to do.  I wouldn't characterize it as a very good start to the season, or anything like that.  I would just grade it as satisfactory.

I don't think we've played that tough of a schedule.  If you look at the 10 games we played against decent teams (Providence, Miami, UNO, Denver and SCSU) we are 5-3-2, with six of the games at home.  That's ok, but I certainly don't think it qualifies as something to get overly excited about.

The key is we haven't hurt ourselves, and coupled with the good out of conference record of the NCHC, they aren't going to have to play .700 hockey to grab an at large position in the tournament.

Positives include the play of Zane and the defense.  Drake and Bryn have really improved.  Tucker P. has been a real nice surprise and Poganski and Simonson seem capable of playing the college game.

I have some concerns.  We are not physically strong on the blue line.  The team can really struggle when you get some big, strong forwards grinding away.  They don't have a Ben Blood type defenseman who can just go in and clear out the middle of the net, or physically handle any sized forward who is grinding along the boards.

The power play worries me as well.  We were a blue line in power play, and the good teams have really figured out how to pressure us out top.  Until we can start to figure out how to make them pay down low, with our forwards, ala a Ryan Duncan, I don't see us having a ton of power play success.

I like the competitiveness of the team.  Too often in the last couple of years it has seemed that a two goal, or even one goal lead heading into the third was insurmountable, but I don't feel that way about this team.

I'd really like to see Jordan S. step up and start to take over games like we know he is capable of in the second half.  I'd like to see O'Donnell become an offensive force like I think he can be.

It should be fun.  Great teams in the conference this year and it's going to be a grind, and a great conference post-season.

My biggest worry on the PP is zone entry. I really like the PP with everything running through #8. He is the quarterback no matter where he is on the ice and I think everyone realizes that and tries to get him the puck. I also like Poolman and his shooting ability out there. He just needs to pick his spots a little better. There are times when I think he shoots it too quickly with no traffic in front rather than getting it set up and moving the puck around

• Upvote 1

My biggest worry on the PP is zone entry. I really like the PP with everything running through #8. He is the quarterback no matter where he is on the ice and I think everyone realizes that and tries to get him the puck. I also like Poolman and his shooting ability out there. He just needs to pick his spots a little better. There are times when I think he shoots it too quickly with no traffic in front rather than getting it set up and moving the puck around

I also noticed he always goes top shelf.  It is fine once in awhile however if he keeps that point shot to between 4"- 8" there would be more oppurtunities for rebounds.  However, Tucker has been pretty darn good so far.

I also noticed he always goes top shelf.  It is fine once in awhile however if he keeps that point shot to between 4"- 8" there would be more oppurtunities for rebounds.  However, Tucker has been pretty darn good so far.

Hey, I'm fine with going top shelf all day if he keeps sniping the corners like against LSSU :)

Agreed, I really like our powerplay once we get into the zone. It suffered when N. Schmaltz was gone but when he's in, I think we are scary good. His abililty to shoot or no-look dish the puck to his brother for a one-timer is so fun to watch.

I really like the position this team is in. Yes, we have struggled on the power play, and in faceoffs, etc. But this team is 13-4-2, struggling through some significant injuries, with two top centers having arm/wrist injuries that affect their puck handling and faceoff capabilities. They have a tough schedule ahead, but they are not in a do or die situation in every game from here on out. Some key freshmen are stepping up, some key upper classmen are stepping up, and if this team progresses in the second half of the season like Hakstol teams usually do they could really be special.

My disappointments so far are: that first game against Bemidji, Wade Murphy (although I have not completely given up on him), Pattyn taking stupid penalties and not keeping a cool head like a captain needs to do, and Jordan Schmaltz just seems to have lost his confidence.

My wow factors so far are: Caggiula, Chyzyk, Poolman, Stecher, Nick Schmaltz. McIntyre could probably be in here but he was this good the last half of last year.

I am grateful that we are able to sit here and discuss the good and the not so good with a 13-4-2 record.

• Upvote 1

I really like the position this team is in. Yes, we have struggled on the power play, and in faceoffs, etc. But this team is 13-4-2, struggling through some significant injuries, with two top centers having arm/wrist injuries that affect their puck handling and faceoff capabilities. 

I don't know if would say that UND's PP is struggling, they're ranked 13th on the PP and 19th of PK? They lead the nation in shorthanded goals. 

Of the NCHC teams, UND has the best PK nationally of the teams in the league.  

I do agree with you that UND has done pretty good and won't have to sweat a loss in the second half as much this season. 

Nice, objective look at the team. But I don't know about the first half being just satisfactory, UND did have quite a few injuries to deal with & it's a nice record to have considering that.

I don't know if would say that UND's PP is struggling, they're ranked 13th on the PP and 19th of PK? They lead the nation in shorthanded goals. 

Of the NCHC teams, UND has the best PK nationally of the teams in the league.  

I do agree with you that UND has done pretty good and won't have to sweat a loss in the second half as much this season.

Goon, if you take out the second game against CC when UND went 5-9 on the power play, they are only 3-33 in the other nine of the NCHC games. That is a bit of a struggle, especially when four of the last five series have been against DU, UNO, SCSU, and Miami.

Goon, if you take out the second game against CC when UND went 5-9 on the power play, they are only 3-33 in the other nine of the NCHC games. That is a bit of a struggle, especially when four of the last five series have been against DU, UNO, SCSU, and Miami.

What if you take out the games where Nick Schmaltz wasn't in the lineup?