SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. LSSU - FRIDAY GAMEDAY

AZSIOUX

Any opinions on Cam Johnson tonight? Mostly the jitters & inexperience?

What position was Poolman playing?

Honestly, I'd like to see him in again tomorrow. Need him to get some experience. Sounds like a couple of the goals, maybe just one, should have been stopped. Would have like to have seen what he played like if we had potted a couple of our early chances in the first. It was his first game. I'm sure the nerves were high. Again, I'd like to see him play when have the lead.

Poolman started the game at D and moved to F when Cags and St. Clair when down. Awesome game from this kid. Love everything about him. Unique blend of speed, power and scoring touch. Seems to see the ice at an elite level.

Johnson: Yes and yes.

Poolman: Started at Defense...ended at forward.

Thanks.

I was trying to maintain my composure at a non-hockey gathering, checking my smartphone every 5 min, & it was getting tough to maintain a fake smile until this board started popping with Sioux goals. I was like "Geezus Christmas, here we go again." Then Poolman started showing what he could do..

Honestly, I'd like to see him in again tomorrow. Need him to get some experience. Sounds like a couple of the goals, maybe just one, should have been stopped. Would have like to have seen what he played like if we had potted a couple of our early chances in the first. It was his first game. I'm sure the nerves were high. Again, I'd like to see him play when have the lead.

Poolman started the game at D and moved to F when Cags and St. Clair when down. Awesome game from this kid. Love everything about him. Unique blend of speed, power and scoring touch. Seems to see the ice at an elite level.

Thanks.

I agree that Cam should play as often as possible; we don't know if Zane will even be around next year & the more rubber Cam sees, the better. He probably has a lot of physical talent, but just needs the playing time so he can sharpen his skills & increase his confidence. Would suck to have a starting sophomore goalie with just a couple of games under his belt.

Regarding Poolman, he excelled against Providence & again tonight, but struggled when Miami brought a quicker pace. I wonder if he would have had just as good a game against a higher-caliber team with speed or if he would have struggled again..

This probably classified as a character win tonight, coming from that many goals down.

So I know Johnson needs to get experience, especially because we can't be sure Zane comes back next year. But can we really trust him at all this year after tonight's performance. He looked bad, gave up rebounds on soft shots and looked slow. Zane is one of the best goalies in the country this year. My personal opinion is we ride him every game this season and hope for the best record we can get this year and hope he comes back next year. Cam looked bad against a TERRIBLE team. The rest of the team looked really good the entire game. I just don't know if we should give cam another chance this year because we can't afford to lose any out of conference games with our schedule and we have the team to win the conference this year so I don't see a game where we can play him again this year except for mop up role in a blow out game.

So I know Johnson needs to get experience, especially because we can't be sure Zane comes back next year. But can we really trust him at all this year after tonight's performance. He looked bad, gave up rebounds on soft shots and looked slow. Zane is one of the best goalies in the country this year. My personal opinion is we ride him every game this season and hope for the best record we can get this year and hope he comes back next year. Cam looked bad against a TERRIBLE team. The rest of the team looked really good the entire game. I just don't know if we should give cam another chance this year because we can't afford to lose any out of conference games with our schedule and we have the team to win the conference this year so I don't see a game where we can play him again this year except for mop up role in a blow out game.

We're 5-1-1 in NC play with 3 to go. Tomorrow and two with Niagara. We should be able to win those three games regardless of who's in net. Cam looked bad tonight, but like I said early, it could have been completely different if we pot a goal or two in the first in front of him. He was clearly nervous and fought the puck. Hak said it tonight after the win that this team is all about depth at every position. What happens if Zane goes down? We need Cam to have the confidence to lead this team if pressed into duty. Tomorrow, coupled with a couple other chances against Niagara and the U-18 team are perfect opportunities to give him a chance to see some ice. Every goalie has a shaky outing. Kid has played 21 minutes in his college career. One bad outing shouldn't define him.

Give him a shot again tomorrow night. We've proven we can dig out of a hole on multiple occasions this season, but the leash will certainly be short. We get a goal or two in front of him and I bet we see a much better tendy.

I would absolutely start him against the usndt. But we lose tonight if cam doesn't get yanked. I have no confidence in him being able to beat lake tomorrow and outside of Providence our NC schedule is bad and any loss would be bad for us. I think I would rather see cam play a conference game because a loss to niagara or LSSU is worse for us than a loss to western Michigan. And at this point losing Zane at any point in the season would be a death sentence for the season no matter how much cam plays.

UND won a game last night that they should have won even with me in net but now what does Hak do with Cam? My sense and opinion was that if he were to play it would be in tonight's game after UND shelled LSSU on Friday . The scenario that unfolded last night was worst case for Cam and Hak. Give up 3 in 21 minutes vs a horrible team that averages less than 2 a game to date. Now I think one almost has to go back to Cam tonight. Hak can't let this stir inside of Cam til January to play him in an exhibition game... can he?

And BTW...UND has given up 4 or more goals just 2x this season. Those games were vs. offensive juggernauts LSSU and those pesky Beavers.

Freshmen tendy in his first start of the year at the Ralph.....terrible? Did you watch the game or even break down each of his goals? I thought one was bad and that was after he'd given up 2 goals on 4 shots. The first goal was a tip and the second was a complete line breakdown. Could he have made the save on the second? Sure, but I've seen good goalies miss that one too.  The third goal was brutal. Obviously the kid was rattled. I watched him last year when he played for Waterloo. He isn't as bad as his statistics showed last night. The kid needs pt. I would start him again tonight although hak probably won't.

Freshmen tendy in his first start of the year at the Ralph.....terrible? Did you watch the game or even break down each of his goals? I thought one was bad and that was after he'd given up 2 goals on 4 shots. The first goal was a tip and the second was a complete line breakdown. Could he have made the save on the second? Sure, but I've seen good goalies miss that one too.  The third goal was brutal. Obviously the kid was rattled. I watched him last year when he played for Waterloo. He isn't as bad as his statistics showed last night. The kid needs pt. I would start him again tonight although hak probably won't.

100% correct, scpa.  Cam didn't have any help on two of the three.  Even the goal that they tallied on Zane was a result of a WHOLE LOT of standing around and watching.  I say throw him back in there tonight.

The risks are too high to start Cam tonight. A loss tonight would really damage our PWR.

Start Zane and if we're up 3-4 goals, put Cam in then. Perhaps start him in the Niagra series and definitely start him against the U18 team since those are exhibition games.

What the hell are you talking about?

Thank you for asking.  I was referring to your propensity to focus on the negative aspects of the team's performance and the way you enjoy asking about "how long will such poor coaching, performance, lack of preparation, etc., etc. be allowed to continue?"  Because, honestly I'm seeing a pattern in your approach that I don't appreciate and being a long time dedicated fan of this team I am inclined to call you on it instead of roll my eyes and wish you'd stop posting such sniveling drivel.  But, as you say, you are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.  My opinion is that you are of substantially less caliber than your moniker implies.

I'm as happy about tonight as any Sioux fan so grow the eff up..

Which brings me to my second point.  You continually respond like a petulant child when anyone dares to take umbrage with one of your posts, so I made sure to include language that I would use when dealing with a petulant child.  Your reply exactly fits with what I expected, and it is clear to me that between the two of us, you are the one with growing up to do. You are posting on a public forum, act like it.  

But anyway, appreciate the updates, folks..

Go Sioux!

• Upvote 1

The risks are too high to start Cam tonight. A loss tonight would really damage our PWR.

Start Zane and if we're up 3-4 goals, put Cam in then. Perhaps start him in the Niagra series and definitely start him against the U18 team since those are exhibition games.

Agreed can't afford to get down 3-0 again because Cam gives up a couple softies like the 2nd and 3rd goals last night. Get a comfortable lead and let him play the 3rd.

Was at the Bemidji state game and the one last night. The difference being that you could feel it was only a matter of time before we started scoring a ton of goals last night. Could have easily been 4-2 after one period as there were countless scoring chances. The LSSU goalie was playing really close to the ice I noticed. So I said to my buddy if we can shoot high on this guy, we'll score a bunch... and we did :)

Also, to the guy in section 104 who got up and left in disgust after the 4th LSSU goal, you missed a hell of a game!

Agreed can't afford to get down 3-0 again because Cam gives up a couple softies like the 2nd and 3rd goals last night. Get a comfortable lead and let him play the 3rd.

Doubt it would.  Otherwise we better find a new backup quick.  Either way we're dropping 6-7 goals on LSSU tonight.

I am wondering what peoples thoughts are for next year if Zane doesn't come back Cam will probably be our starting goalie? After last night I don't see him getting a lot more playing time especially going into the stretch.

Murphy doesn't. Just an exhibition goal.

You are correct.  I don't know how the heck I read the table wrong.  Some of the guy must be using my eyesight when they shoot.  I cannot figure out how you can miss the net by 10 feet on a shot from 10 feet in front of the net.

Freshmen tendy in his first start of the year at the Ralph.....terrible? Did you watch the game or even break down each of his goals? I thought one was bad and that was after he'd given up 2 goals on 4 shots. The first goal was a tip and the second was a complete line breakdown. Could he have made the save on the second? Sure, but I've seen good goalies miss that one too. The third goal was brutal. Obviously the kid was rattled. I watched him last year when he played for Waterloo. He isn't as bad as his statistics showed last night. The kid needs pt. I would start him again tonight although hak probably won't.

I watched the entire game. Thought Cam was awful. First goal like you said was a tip so not a bad one on him. Second one he was way out of position and slow trying to get back across the net. Third one was just bad. Beyond that Cam seemed to be giving up soft rebounds and everything that went towards him felt like it would go in the net.

I agree that he needs playing time but after last night's performance, I'm just not sure when we could. It would be ideal for Johnson if we don't let his poor performance stir in his head and get him right back out tonight. But like many have said we can not afford a loss to lake state. The Columbia bridge would be awful crowded.

Trying to get out of my forever pessimist view now, overall the team completely dominated LSSU all around the entire game. It seemed extremely easy for our guys to just take speed around the defensemen while entering the zone. Loose pucks were almost always ending up on the sticks of one of our players. We had quite extensive amount of time in the offensive zone. Overall our skaters looked thoroughly dominant against a team they should look dominant against.