SiouxSports.com Forum

PWR 2014-2015

jimdahl

Let's say Minnesota comes out of next weekend at 15 in the PWR.  Assuming nobody falls out of the top 14*, they still have to win their tournament to get in, as every other team will then get the B1G auto-bid, dropping the at-large bids to 14.

* As this year has pointed out, at least 3 teams will fall out.    ???

That's a really good point that I hadn't even considered, wow that conference is having a terrible year. So essentially, Minnesota needs to be 14 or better in PWR, at worst! And this is barring upsets in our conference tourney and others across the country.

Today's Top 16 PWR are:

1. NCHC

2. WCHA

3. NCHC

4. NCHC

5. WCHA

6. HEA

7. NCHC

8. NCHC

9. HEA

10. HEA

11. WCHA

12. ECAC

13. ECAC

14. B1G

15. HEA

16. NCHC

I don't see AHA in that list. They take 16. 

I only see one B1G in that list of 16; reasonable to assume they are a one-bid at 15. 

With just two ECAC teams, it's reasonable to assume slot 14 won't be safe for an at-large either. 

Allow for one "surprise" from NCHC, WCHA, or HEA, and slot 13 isn't safe for an at-large as well. 

I'm thinking you want to be holding PWR12 or better come selection Sunday. 

That's a really good point that I hadn't even considered, wow that conference is having a terrible year. So essentially, Minnesota needs to be 14 or better in PWR, at worst! And this is barring upsets in our conference tourney and others across the country.

Additionally, if they don't win the B1G tournament, their PWR will drop even further, depending on who they lose to.  Michigan would make the smallest hit, but could still drop enough for someone else to sneak in.  It seems like a sweep at PSU, or at least win + tie, may be needed for an at-large bid (again, assuming not winning the B1G tournament).

Oh what a great scenerio we have playing out this year in college hockey!!  UND is a conference champion, #1 team in the nation in the polls and more importantly the pariwaise.....and meanwhile, the Gophers are struggling to make the post season and the Badgers have 4 wins!!  :whistling:

• Upvote 1

Oh what a great scenerio we have playing out this year in college hockey!! UND is a conference champion, #1 team in the nation in the polls and more importantly the pariwaise.....and meanwhile, the Gophers are struggling to make the post season and the Badgers have 4 wins!! :whistling:

Man you are positive. I'm more of a pessimist. We potentially have our top 3 offensive players out or injured going into the playoffs.

:(

Man you are positive. I'm more of a pessimist. We potentially have our top 3 offensive players out or injured going into the playoffs.

:sad:

I guess it's the way I deal with hardship.  If my team is down, I think of other teams in far worse shape and it doesn't make me feel so bad!!  :)

I think we can beat CC even without Cags, Mac, and Schmaltz.  As long as we have those guys (minus Mac) all back for Fargo, it's all good.

I guess it's the way I deal with hardship.  If my team is down, I think of other teams in far worse shape and it doesn't make me feel so bad!!  :)

I think we can beat CC even without Cags, Mac, and Schmaltz.  As long as we have those guys (minus Mac) all back for Fargo, it's all good.

My thoughts exactly, this team doesn't need to win games right now. We're going to the Fargo regionals no matter what happens. That leaves time for these guys to focus on getting healthier and ready to win 4 games when it matters!

Latest USCHO bracket:

East Regional (Providence):
13 Yale vs. 4 Miami
9 Providence vs. 5 Michigan Tech

Northeast Regional (Manchester):
14 Minnesota vs. 3 Minnesota-Duluth
12 Quinnipiac vs. 6 Boston University

Midwest Regional (South Bend):
15 Robert Morris vs. 2 Minnesota State
11 Bowling Green vs. 8 Denver

West Regional (Fargo):
16 Michigan State vs. 1 North Dakota
10 Boston College vs. 7 Omaha

Big role reversal this year. The Gophers are middling at best and the Sioux are cruising. Looks like a Fargo match up to me!

Sorry, sagard. My money says your Gophers are watching the tournament, not playing in it. Mike Reilly is already looking for a pen to sign his NHL contract with. "Kind of focusing" on the team? He's got one foot out the door already along with probably a couple of others. It'll be interesting to see what happens against Penn State this weekend, that's for sure.

Sorry, sagard. My money says your Gophers are watching the tournament, not playing in it. Mike Reilly is already looking for a pen to sign his NHL contract with. "Kind of focusing" on the team? He's got one foot out the door already along with probably a couple of others. It'll be interesting to see what happens against Penn State this weekend, that's for sure.

I think you're going to be wrong on this.  Here is why.

If you look at the handful of teams bunched ahead of and behind MN at this point, they're pretty much all HE and ECAC teams.  That means success of one comes at the detriment of the other.  If Harvard and Vermont want to climb past MN, they do so at the expense of Yale and BC, immediately ahead of MN.  If Colgate is to make a run, it will ultimately come at the expense of Yale and Quinn.

For MN to miss, it's going to take a very specific outcome.  I think it has to be Mass-Lowell or SCSU that goes past them.  Quinn, Yale, BG and BC all have to have enough success to stay ahead of MN,

Lowell and SCSU most certainly need to win this weekend, then probably one win in the semi's.

Just my two cents, obviously without running Jim Dahl type scenarios.

Latest USCHO bracket:

13 Yale vs. 4 Miami

West Regional (Fargo):

I didn't go there and read the background, but the flipping of Sparty and Robert Morris seems completely arbitrary and random here...

Latest USCHO bracket:

13 Yale vs. 4 Miami

West Regional (Fargo):

This bracket could potentially have an all NCHC frozen four. The NCAA will make sure that can't happen.

This bracket could potentially have an all NCHC frozen four. The NCAA will make sure that can't happen.

Not sure you can prevent it.  There could potentially be 3 #1 seeds from the NCHC.  The NCAA isn't conspiriing against leagues to make sure that 4 teams from the same conference could all get to the Frozen 4.  There biggest concerns are avoiding league first round matchups, travel, and attendance.