SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota @ South Dakota St.

bincitysioux

Jones is not the one shooting free throws. Nash is a career 30% free throw shooter and missed his last 6 tonight. This has nothing to do with Jones. They shoot free throws everyday.

I realize that, but every one of his teams I remember can't shoot free throws. Maybe it should be a point of emphasis? I think it's an attention to detail thing. Name highly successful coaches where that's a consistent trait of their teams... john calipari is the only one. And it cost him a title. We also don't have six figures to slide to the Derrick roses of the world in recruiting

I think this is going to be a much better season than a lot of people think.    I think we are going to see a heavy dose of Hooker,Tyler and DeRouen.     All 3 will play a lot.  I don't think it is going to matter who starts.  Tough loss but I am very excited for the season.

Tough loss, and some tough calls down the stretch, but Frost is a really hard place to go into and get a win. Similar feeling to a few years ago when we outplayed them and they stole one. 

Positives 

• UND defense is way way ahead of the last few years. Should only improve as the year goes on
  • I really like our guards. Tyler will be a really good scorer, but he’s not as good of PG as the others. Hooker and De Rouren are better PGs. Esten Tyler’s game as built for this offense though, wow can he score. Keep in mind he is not even 100% yet. We also get these guys back next year and add Crandall and Seales.
  • Coleman and Nash are very athletic wings that will be tough match ups for mid majors.
  • Sharing of the basketball. Great in the first half, ok in the second, but still better than previous years. 

Negatives

• Did we just burns Sheilds redshirt for that? Where are his minutes going to come from when Shanks is eligible and Salmonson get back? If he was going to play this year why not get his feet wet against Mayville State? 
  • SDSU started switching all ball screens and it through us for a loop. We needed to capitalize on those mismatches and we didn’t do it enough

Overall I am excited about the season after 3 games. We look really good considering all the scoring we lost. I think this team could potentially be as good as last years or better by years end. Not sure about the rest of the BSC, but I think we’ll be ok. 

Tough loss, and some tough calls down the stretch, but Frost is a really hard place to go into and get a win. Similar feeling to a few years ago when we outplayed them and they stole one. 

Positives 

• UND defense is way way ahead of the last few years. Should only improve as the year goes on
  • I really like our guards. Tyler will be a really good scorer, but he’s not as good of PG as the others. Hooker and De Rouren are better PGs. Esten Tyler’s game as built for this offense though, wow can he score. Keep in mind he is not even 100% yet. We also get these guys back next year and add Crandall and Seales.
  • Coleman and Nash are very athletic wings that will be tough match ups for mid majors.
  • Sharing of the basketball. Great in the first half, ok in the second, but still better than previous years. 

Negatives

• Did we just burns Sheilds redshirt for that? Where are his minutes going to come from when Shanks is eligible and Salmonson get back? If he was going to play this year why not get his feet wet against Mayville State? 
  • SDSU started switching all ball screens and it through us for a loop. We needed to capitalize on those mismatches and we didn’t do it enough

Overall I am excited about the season after 3 games. We look really good considering all the scoring we lost. I think this team could potentially be as good as last years or better by years end. Not sure about the rest of the BSC, but I think we’ll be ok. 

I agree.   This team has really surprised me on how well they are playing.   I never thought most of our players the last couple years really knew how to play solid defense.  These current players play tight defense and keep between them and the basket with very few blow byes like years past.  I love the way they move the ball on offense and find the open man with very few bad shots.  This team will surprise people in the Big Sky and we should make the tournament as long as players stay healthy.  Nash and Tyler will a force on offense.  Jones has done a great job re-loading with this mix of players and I like the players he has coming in next year also.  I agree Shields should have red-shirted as he showed nothing last night in the few minutes he played and as mentioned above where is he going to get minutes.  Hobaugh needs more minutes due to how hard he plays and I especially like his defense.  

I agree.   This team has really surprised me on how well they are playing.   I never thought most of our players the last couple years really knew how to play solid defense.  These current players play tight defense and keep between them and the basket with very few blow byes like years past.  I love the way they move the ball on offense and find the open man with very few bad shots.  This team will surprise people in the Big Sky and we should make the tournament as long as players stay healthy.  Nash and Tyler will a force on offense.  Jones has done a great job re-loading with this mix of players and I like the players he has coming in next year also.  I agree Shields should have red-shirted as he showed nothing last night in the few minutes he played and as mentioned above where is he going to get minutes.  Hobaugh needs more minutes due to how hard he plays and I especially like his defense.  

I guess the only justification I can see Sheilds shirt lifted is if Salmonson is going to be out for a long period of time.  With Cashman getting in foul trouble left and right you only have Nash and Calc as your 4/5 options right now. 

I 100% agree on Hobaugh.  We have some surprise depth at the 3 spot

Rebuilding? Rebuilding what? It's not like we made the tourney last year.

If any other team was conference runner up and lost 95% of their scoring they would be written off. He also lost the best player in the conference last year. I think he's actually built a better team despite having much less experience.

I call that rebuilding.

If any other team was conference runner up and lost 95% of their scoring they would be written off. He also lost the best player in the conference last year. I think he's actually built a better team despite having much less experience.

I call that rebuilding.

I honestly think it's addition by subtraction. I still dont understand the free throw shooting though. I expect this team to be better than last years. Better ball movement for sure. More size is nice too.