SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota @ South Dakota St.

bincitysioux

SDSU has a fair share of talent that came in this year (through High School, JUCO and transfers). That freshman class they brought in could be another special group with Thiesen and Flatten highlighting that crop. The key to this game to me is how they handle Cody Larson down low.  Calcaterra and Cashman are going to need to play very solid on both ends of the floor.  They need to rebound well, make their chances, draw fouls and make life difficult for the senior.  He tore into us last year in Grand Forks with a  21 point, 7 board performance. 

If they can play an effective offense and shut down Larson, I think we have enough talent in our guards to slow down Parks, Bittle, and Flatten and get the win down in Frost. Hooker and Nash need to play like studs and Coleman needs to chip in every now and then.  If we can get Tyler back for this one, that would be a boost too.

SDSU is a sleeper in the Summit this year, if they can get their new parts to click... look out.

Starting with this game, we might get a better handle on how the team will do this year.

Our bigs physically look like they should be good rebounders. Doesn't appear though that they even jump to get rebounds. Or jump in a power move inside.am I seeing this correctly?

That is one thing that bothers me about Calc is that he doesn't jump.  Rebounding is as much effort as it is physical tools.  Watch Mia Loyd on the women's team.  She is undersized for her position and yet is one of the better rebounders if not the best rebounder in the conference, puts 100% effort in every rebound attempt she makes. I think a guy who is an inch or two shorter but is technically sound and gives all out effort is a better rebounder than a guy who is tall and won't be physical.

Another thing that bothers me is that we go for the block way to often and it leaves us vulnerable for an easy offensive rebound.  Its not okay to block a shot 10 feet away unless you are 100% sure you can get a touch on it.  1 thing I noticed a lot vs Mayville. Stay grounded in those situations

UND sounds good. More unselfish talent playing this year apparently. Potential for a surprisingly good season perhaps?

I said after last season and I still believe this team will be better than last because the defense and team ball will be much improved. 

Nash has the potential to be the go to guy but is also much more unselfish than Huff was last season.

• Upvote 1

That was the best and most unselfish play I have seen UND play for years.   That was truly team basketball and it seemed the offensive sets where completely different than years past.  If most of the players the last 4 years played like this they would have won a whole lot more games than all that one on one crap.  Very impressive first half and maybe Jones and company learned from how they coached the last few years.  Also, Tyler is very impressive.

Geez, guys, take it easy on the Jackrabbits.

UND is pretty-much dominating this one.  State has had a couple of runs but keeps getting beat back by UND.  SDSU is young and our hope is by the time late December comes around, we'll be playing okay (guard George Marshall, transfer from Wisconsin where he started a number of games before an injury, is eligible when 1st semester ends).