SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Manitoba - Sunday GAMEDAY

AZSIOUX

IMO yes and it isn't all that close.

Hit the brakes. But it was fun to watch nick play. He's not very strong on the wall but his hands and vision are filthy. Him and cags looked awesome tonight. Jordan was absolutely dominant. I wish we could have seen johnson a bit longer because I thought Murphy looked good on that line. I believe I called the final score however they should have scored 7 or 8.

Hit the brakes.

I know it is only 1 game but Schmaltz brought a lot of things tonight that Grimaldi never did. Schmaltz seems to have a lot more hockey sense and is much better at waiting that extra split second for things to open up rather than trying to force something. The only thing that Grimaldi has over Schmaltz is he is a little bit quicker skater.

Hit the brakes.

Agree on the brakes ha and also agree he is. Just not by that much. There is a reason Chicago drafted him in first. IMO most skilled forward to come in since osh. Can't wait for Friday and the season starts up! Go sioux!

40-55 points for #8. Sick saucy hands! He and 9 were great tonight

What's your take on what 6 play Friday and you think whoever sits besides panz gets in sat? Platoon for few weekends possibly.

This team has a hell of a make up. My top 6 d would be

schmaltz

Ladue

Mattson

Poolman

Ausmus

Thompson

Stecher

Panz

Some thoughts after 1 exhibition game:

-Nick Schmaltz is as good as advertised probably the best hands since Oshie and really seems to have some great chemistry with Caggiula

-There will be competition for the 5th/6th D spot all year but I liked the physical game that Ausmus brought tonight and hope we see a lot of him this season

-Love the way the d-men aren't afraid to jump up in the play and the offensive threats we have on the back end

-Overall team speed seems to be very good maybe the best it has been in a while

-He didn't have a whole lot of tough stops but Zane looked like he picked up where he left off last year and Johnson looks to be the backup at least for now and was solid in his 1 period of work

-I liked the increase movement on the powerplay and think that could be a big area of improvement this year

-I think there are probably 8 forward spots locked up(MacMillan,Parks,OD,Caggiula,Schmaltz,Johnson,Pattyn,Gaarder) and the other 4 spots will be a consistent battle but I liked the way Chyzk, Murphy, and Poganski played tonight.

My take on the game:

Surprises:  Murphy & Sanderson both had very good games.  Wouldn't be surprised to see them play Friday.

Freshmen:  N. Schmaltz is already at a high collegiate level.  Poganski seemed to struggle more, but its early.  Cam J. looked pretty good.  Poolman looks a little green, but will probably develop fast.

Defense:  Stecher is a gamer; seems to have upped his game again.  Should be in there every night.   Don't know what that means for Poolman & Ausmus & Panz.

Other:  OD was more noticeable than Mac or Parks, a little surprising for me.  Hope Mac didn't get hurt.

Hit the brakes. But it was fun to watch nick play. He's not very strong on the wall but his hands and vision are filthy. Him and cags looked awesome tonight. Jordan was absolutely dominant. I wish we could have seen johnson a bit longer because I thought Murphy looked good on that line. I believe I called the final score however they should have scored 7 or 8.

I thought that before the game, put Cagguila and Scmhaltz together and KEEP THEM TOGETHER Hakstol!!! They looked awesome together and were fun to watch. Luke better be carful cuz i thought Murphy looked good with them too!!! Luke has to be carful how he checks into the boards, he did that last year to, tone it down a bit!

Agree on the brakes ha and also agree he is. Just not by that much. There is a reason Chicago drafted him in first. IMO most skilled forward to come in since osh. Can't wait for Friday and the season starts up! Go sioux!

40-55 points for #8. Sick saucy hands! He and 9 were great tonight

What's your take on what 6 play Friday and you think whoever sits besides panz gets in sat? Platoon for few weekends possibly.

This team has a hell of a make up. My top 6 d would be

schmaltz

Ladue

Mattson

Poolman

Ausmus

Thompson

Stecher

Panz

I definitely think Nick will be better than Rocco I simply am not awarding him that after one exhibition game. I mean, the kid was a first round draft pick.  However, Rocco was our best player last year in almost every game, in almost every situation.  Our best player tonight was Jordan and it was very apparent.  However, Nick's vision and passing was ridiculous and it is evident why he was a first rounder.  I hope he brings that game consistently.  This season should be a blast, him and Cags need to stay together.

I also think Thompson needs to move up, he was noticeable.  I also noticed Murphy and O'Donnell a bunch. Anyone else think Sanderson looked ok?  I thought he looked pretty decent.  I didn't notice Poganski all that much and MacMillan and Parks played pretty average.  It's early.

I definitely think Nick will be better than Rocco I simply am not awarding him that after one exhibition game. I mean, the kid was a first round draft pick.  However, Rocco was our best player last year in almost every game, in almost every situation.  Our best player tonight was Jordan and it was very apparent.  However, Nick's vision and passing was ridiculous and it is evident why he was a first rounder.  I hope he brings that game consistently.  This season should be a blast, him and Cags need to stay together.

I also think Thompson needs to move up, he was noticeable.  I also noticed Murphy and O'Donnell a bunch. Anyone else think Sanderson looked ok?  I thought he looked pretty decent.  I didn't notice Poganski all that much and MacMillan and Parks played pretty average.  It's early.

I thought Sanderson was decent brought some speed and seemed to be around the puck quite a bit when he was on the ice. I was a little surprised at Poganski's quickness for his size and thought he was decent along the wall. Also looked like he wasn't afraid to go to the net but I'd like to see him play a little more physical and think that will come as he gets stronger. I thought the MacMillan line created some good chances in the first period controlling the puck in the offensive zone but after that didn't create all that much but I'm not too worried about those guys.

True, from what I've always seen as a knock on Schmaltz is consistency of effort. If the coaches can instill that, then we can hopefully compare him to Oshie. Hopefully he will be a little more selfish and take the shot when it needs to be taken. Great first game to build from.