SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Griz Blackout Game Day Thread

geaux_sioux

Montana fans over on AGS, along with Bison fans (ignore them) are saying the hit on Johnson was a cheap. Shot. The replay showed yes it was a roughing the passer but in no way was it a cheap shot. Any other thoughts on this?

There was nothing cheap about that. Late and stupid but Ratelle plays hard.

While the end of the game felt like a gut punch, I am so proud of this team and this staff. The turnaround from last year's debacle is nothing short of amazing. I like UND's chances of getting to 7-5 this season, which would have seemed absurd a few weeks ago.

• Upvote 2

Solid job by the SIOUX today. I'm a GRIZ fan in football as I grew up in Helena MT. My dad has had season seats at Wash-GRIZ for about 25 years now. I have lived in Bismarck for the past nine years and have been in love with SIOUX hockey since the 2002/3 season. Because of this, I have come to follow SIOUX football as well and cheer for them (except for when they play the GRIZ).

I was in attendance last year at the Alerus. I was obviously cheering for the GRIZ which I found hard to do after having cheered for the SIOUX in all other situations in multiple sports. Last year I was utterly embarrassed for the SIOUX football program.

Fast forward to today, and I again was obviously cheering for the GRIZ. But today I was very pleased to see the SIOUX flying around and playing great defense. The offense leaves much to be desired, but Bubba and his boys will get it ironed out in the next few years. Keep playing D like they are and good things will come.

In terms of the GRIZ, their o line sucks and the injury situation is pretty ridiculous at this point. As for Jordie's injury, I did not feel it was a cheap shot. Just football. Injuries happen to all teams, it just seems like the GRIZ have a crazy amount right now. Glad they have a bye.

Look this thing was never going to be an easy fix, but I would say the SIOUX program is on the rebound and will get back to competing for conference titles and thus, national playoffs and titles in short order. I'm proud of the way they have been playing the past few weeks. Again the offense is brutal, but it will get there.

And I'm not an idiot GRIZ fan. I'm a GRIZ and a SIOUX fan. Glad it was a good game.

• Upvote 2

Solid job by the SIOUX today. I'm a GRIZ fan in football as I grew up in Helena MT. My dad has had season seats at Wash-GRIZ for about 25 years now. I have lived in Bismarck for the past nine years and have been in love with SIOUX hockey since the 2002/3 season. Because of this, I have come to follow SIOUX football as well and cheer for them (except for when they play the GRIZ).

I was in attendance last year at the Alerus. I was obviously cheering for the GRIZ which I found hard to do after having cheered for the SIOUX in all other situations in multiple sports. Last year I was utterly embarrassed for the SIOUX football program.

Fast forward to today, and I again was obviously cheering for the GRIZ. But today I was very pleased to see the SIOUX flying around and playing great defense. The offense leaves much to be desired, but Bubba and his boys will get it ironed out in the next few years. Keep playing D like they are and good things will come.

In terms of the GRIZ, their o line sucks and the injury situation is pretty ridiculous at this point. As for Jordie's injury, I did not feel it was a cheap shot. Just football. Injuries happen to all teams, it just seems like the GRIZ have a crazy amount right now. Glad they have a bye.

Look this thing was never going to be an easy fix, but I would say the SIOUX program is on the rebound and will get back to competing for conference titles and thus, national playoffs and titles in short order. I'm proud of the way they have been playing the past few weeks. Again the offense is brutal, but it will get there.

And I'm not an idiot GRIZ fan. I'm a GRIZ and a SIOUX fan. Glad it was a good game.

Great post, good luck to the Griz the rest of the season and in the playoffs. Hope we can meet in the playoffs next year.

Montana fans over on AGS, along with Bison fans (ignore them) are saying the hit on Johnson was a cheap. Shot. The replay showed yes it was a roughing the passer but in no way was it a cheap shot. Any other thoughts on this?

Montana should've lost. Both safety and refs really helped out Montana.

I just don't understand why Rudolph doesn't call plays similar to what he did in crunch time all the time for Mollberg. He doesn't seem to be helping him out much with play calling other than the first drive and the fourth quarter. I love the way Norberg runs but we cannot just rely on that. Defense is so fun to watch it's unreal the change from last season.

• Upvote 4

How bout that d? Holy !@#$ they are fun to watch. Basically all of their penalties were of the punch you in the mouth variety. That's the most fun I've had at a UND game in at least 10 years. Our d is the best in the big sky, no contest.

Also Rudolph had some outstanding play calls all game. He never put us in danger with questionable calls. He's got my vote and deserves everyone's confidence. His naked boot call on that 3rd down before the fg we had blocked was perfect, Joe just couldn't get it done....

Speaking of Joe may have found his game late in the fourth. He had some perfect throws, some under a lot of pressure. He needs to build on that. If he does, look out.

• Upvote 3

How bout that d? Holy !@#$ they are fun to watch. Basically all of their penalties were of the punch you in the mouth variety. That's the most fun I've had at a UND game in at least 10 years. Our d is the best in the big sky, no contest.

Also Rudolph had some outstanding play calls all game. He never put us in danger with questionable calls. He's got my vote and deserves everyone's confidence. His naked boot call on that 3rd down before the fg we had blocked was perfect, Joe just couldn't get it done....

Speaking of Joe may have found his game late in the fourth. He had some perfect throws, some under a lot of pressure. He needs to build on that. If he does, look out.

I had a odd vantage of that boot, But it looked like if he kept his angle towards the sidelines he may have been able to get very close to the first down, I believe he tried to turn up field.

Mollberg's 2-point conversion pass was gutty and clutch. The reality is that very, very few UND quarterbacks have ever been asked to start as freshmen and/or sophomores, let alone to do so with a patchwork offensive line and without an especially strong running game. And yes, there have been some baffling lapses in judgment on his part. But I still feel like he has a chance to be pretty darn good. By early next season, I have a feeling he's going to progress to a point similar to where Hendrickson was as a senior.

• Upvote 3

Mollberg's 2-point conversion pass was gutty and clutch. The reality is that very, very few UND quarterbacks have ever been asked to start as freshmen and/or sophomores, let alone to do so with a patchwork offensive line and without an especially strong running game. And yes, there have been some baffling lapses in judgment on his part. But I still feel like he has a chance to be pretty darn good. By early next season, I have a feeling he's going to progress to a point similar to where Hendrickson was as a senior.

At this point he couldn't carry Hendrickson's jock strap. If he gets more flexible and 10x faster he could sniff it.

At this point he couldn't carry Hendrickson's jock strap. If he gets more flexible and 10x faster he could sniff it.

Mollberg will never have Hendrickson's speed. My point was more that Hendrickson (and Goska) looked awful when they were forced into action after Landry  was injured. Remember when neither could complete a simple pass against Montana and SDSU? But both turned out pretty good. I see Mollberg showing similar improvement from where he's been for much of last year and early this year by sometime next year. He has a pretty high ceiling.

• Upvote 2

Mollberg will never have Hendrickson's speed. My point was more that Hendrickson (and Goska) looked awful when they were forced into action after Landry was injured. But both turned out pretty good. I see Mollberg showing similar improvement from where he's been for much of last year and early this year. He has a pretty high ceiling.

Can't disagree. Sometimes things just click for QBs. Marcus was damn awful against Montana, two years later with 0 playing time he blew the doors off of SDSU in San Diego.