SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

On 5/17/2024 at 5:27 AM, The Sicatoka said:

That's not what that says. 

Did you read carefully.  It is a good addition to Division I and without me saying it, in my opinion, I would welcome them into Division I well before many teams from something like the rumor of the Summit League.  We need more (DI possible) hockey programs coming from the west coast.  I would also like to see U of Arizona, San Diego, etc. become D1 hockey.  

if and when unlv goes d1 does fenton (when he starts summit hockey) go with the summit 4 (und, omaha, st thomas, and denver) and then only go with d1 schools that also have large metro areas as affiliates 

Tennessee State ---Nashvile

UNLV---Las Vegas

Arizona State---Phoenix

best of both worlds....omaha and st thomas drivebable, denver...flights from fargo....and the above 3 all have Allegiate flights.... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2024 at 8:20 AM, nodak651 said:

Could see that one happening.

I am generally a much bigger fan of seeing NCAA vs. ACHA exhibition games than vs. the Canadian teams; these ACHA guys are really out to prove that they can hang and play with the NCAA. But the Alaska schools definitely have a vested interest in this as if they could get enough schools that want to make the jump to D-1 and create a conference from the ground up that would give them all more stability.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

I am generally a much bigger fan of seeing NCAA vs. ACHA exhibition games than vs. the Canadian teams; these ACHA guys are really out to prove that they can hang and play with the NCAA. But the Alaska schools definitely have a vested interest in this as if they could get enough schools that want to make the jump to D-1 and create a conference from the ground up that would give them all more stability.

Speaking of the Alaskas, I think Simon Fraser is going to eventually move D1 once their athletic department gets restructured.  I'm curious if they would have an NIL advantage with Canadian players.  Also if the CHL eligibility thing happens, I'd think they would be a fairly popular destination.

3 hours ago, cberkas said:

Tennessee and Florida moving up from AAU/CHS D2 to AAU/CHS D1.

AAU and CHS need to pick what they are and use AAU or CHS. For a group of schools that left ACHA to create a better league didn't create one. They have two websites two Twitter pages for really no reason.   

They need to all just move back to ACHA!  

• Upvote 1

This is interesting, considering SDSU (San Diego) was rumored to be conducting a d1 feasibility study at the time.

SDSU Hides Proposal for Free Sports Arena in Mission Valley
San Diego State University officials received a proposal in 2022 to build a new sports arena within the Mission Valley development at no cost to the public but have kept the offer under wraps even as the City of San Diego is currently negotiating to develop a similar facility at the existing Sports Arena site.  

SDSU President Adela de la Torre, the University’s Athletic Director, and several prominent San Diegans flew to Texas on a private jet in May 2022 to tour the Moody Center at the University of Texas at Austin (UTA) at the invitation of the company that led the development project.

Sources confirmed to La Prensa San Diego that SDSU received the proposal from Oak View Group, a Denver-based venue operator that bills itself as “the largest developer of sports and entertainment venues in the world.”

But sometime after the May 2022 trip, SDSU officials decided to keep the offer secret. 

Others who participated in the trip to Austin included CSU Trustees Jack McGrory and Adam Day, local business leader David Malcolm, and SDSU’s Vice-President for University Relations and Development, Adrienne Vargas.

Oak View Group developed Austin’s 15,000-seat Moody Center through a partnership with UTA where the developer assumed all of the cost and risk of construction and management of the arena and the venue became the home of the University’s basketball team without any investment by UTA.