SiouxSports.com Forum

FBS games

darell1976

Why would Notre Dame do that?  They will be playing 5 ACC teams every year...they play USC and Stanford every year.  They also play Navy and Purdue. 

They have to play 5 ACC teams every year. Playing Navy is nothing to brag about, USC isn't the top dog in the Pac-12 and could be a 4 loss team by the time you play them.

They have to play 5 ACC teams every year. Playing Navy is nothing to brag about, USC isn't the top dog in the Pac-12 and could be a 4 loss team by the time you play them.

Look at the ACC.  Navy is a rivalry game.  Stanford is a rivalry game.  USC is a rivalry game.  Apparently all 3 are non-negotiable.  Notre Dame also has home-home's with Texas, Ohio State, Texas A&M, and Georgia in the future.  ACC football membership would take away that flexibility to continue playing these types of teams.

Playing Navy IS in fact a tradition, as it was the Naval Academy that helped keep Notre Dame afloat when our grandparents were hunkering down in WWII in the 1940's.  Notre Dame has an open-ended invitation to play Navy every year and considers the game to be a sort of debt repayment.  I'm no fan of Notre Dame, but certainly appreciate their honor in this instance.  If this was ANY other college, they'd wipe this game off the map as soon as possible to make bigger bucks playing someone else.  Kudos to Notre Dame for keeping this seemingly one-sided rivalry alive.  Anchors aweigh!

Playing Navy IS in fact a tradition, as it was the Naval Academy that helped keep Notre Dame afloat when our grandparents were hunkering down in WWII in the 1940's. Notre Dame has an open-ended invitation to play Navy every year and considers the game to be a sort of debt repayment. I'm no fan of Notre Dame, but certainly appreciate their honor in this instance. If this was ANY other college, they'd wipe this game off the map as soon as possible to make bigger bucks playing someone else. Kudos to Notre Dame for keeping this seemingly one-sided rivalry alive. Anchors aweigh!

Very honorable. Kind of like taking the big girl to prom that used stick up for you on the playground when you were a little kid. All kidding aside its first class thing to do. Dumbo Fisher could learn a few things about what honor and high character is all about.

Ndsu would dominate the fbs playiffs

NDSU would get put in their place if they played the FBS teams that make the playoffs.

Notre Dame should join the ACC, which would increase their chances of making the playoffs.

The top of the SEC is scary but why wouldn't NDSU compete with anyone in the B12 or B10.  Heck K State, TCU, MI State, not too scary.   All 3 are 1 loss teams with a shot if they run the table, according to the experts.   Great defense and a ball control running game would allow you to compete.   Outside of Ala, MS, MS St, Florida St, Auburn . . . an NDSU type of team could compete.

Wow this "playoff" is a sham, needs to  be expanded.  If it happened today is would be SEC 3, ACC 1, and everyone else out.

Would an FCS playoff made up of 4 teams from 2 FCS conferences be a fair "playoff"?

The top of the SEC is scary but why wouldn't NDSU compete with anyone in the B12 or B10. Heck K State, TCU, MI State, not too scary. All 3 are 1 loss teams with a shot if they run the table, according to the experts. Great defense and a ball control running game would allow you to compete. Outside of Ala, MS, MS St, Florida St, Auburn . . . an NDSU type of team could compete.

You're outta your flippin' mind!
  • Upvote 2

The top of the SEC is scary but why wouldn't NDSU compete with anyone in the B12 or B10. Heck K State, TCU, MI State, not too scary. All 3 are 1 loss teams with a shot if they run the table, according to the experts. Great defense and a ball control running game would allow you to compete. Outside of Ala, MS, MS St, Florida St, Auburn . . . an NDSU type of team could compete.

Wow this "playoff" is a sham, needs to be expanded. If it happened today is would be SEC 3, ACC 1, and everyone else out.

Would an FCS playoff made up of 4 teams from 2 FCS conferences be a fair "playoff"?

I think NDSU was a top 30 team last year I honestly do. This year I see them being around a top 75 team. They wouldn't be able to pull off a game like Kstate this year. I'd say if they were in the big 12 or big 10 this year they'd be a .500 team at best. Still that's pretty good for a FCS team. Now enter a !@#!$ post by D-bag 2011.

Look at the ACC. Navy is a rivalry game. Stanford is a rivalry game. USC is a rivalry game. Apparently all 3 are non-negotiable. Notre Dame also has home-home's with Texas, Ohio State, Texas A&M, and Georgia in the future. ACC football membership would take away that flexibility to continue playing these types of teams.

Kick Maryland and Rutgers out of the B1G and invite Notre Dame. I'd love to see a ND-Nebraska game every year.

Wow this "playoff" is a sham, needs to be expanded. If it happened today is would be SEC 3, ACC 1, and everyone else out.

I wish they had all the conference winners compete for a NC. Not just the p5 conferences.

Kick Maryland and Rutgers out of the B1G and invite Notre Dame. I'd love to see a ND-Nebraska game every year.

Maryland and Rutgers were selected for membership to give the B10 a share of the east coast market. Notre Dame's been invited several times and declined the offer every time.

ND has been invited to most conferences and they said no to all. They have their own network deal and will be beholding to no one.

Weird. I haven't heard any Irish fans crying. It was interference. Plain and simple. Probably would have scored if they just got in the way rather than actually blocking the guys.

"It was pretty clear what happened on the play...Florida State blew the coverage and, uh, they got rewarded for it. So, it's unfortunate."

- Brian Kelly on Sunday

Sounds like crying to me!

Yea, because Marshall (which certainly looks like it finish the season undefeated) has a good enough body of work to be among the final four...

So you like the 4 team "playoff"? If the little guy doesn't have a shot like you say I guess you have no interest in March Madness.

So you like the 4 team "playoff"? If the little guy doesn't have a shot like you say I guess you have no interest in March Madness.

Totally different beast. I know you love to throw around that one Boise State game against Oklahoma all the time, but have you seen what almost all Power 5 vs little boys games have looked like lately? Ole Miss or Florida State would hang 75 on Marshall.

A small improvement. If every other Divison and subdivision can have a minimum 16 team playoff so could the FBS.

I hear you, and I used to agree.  Politically, they just weren't going to get from 2 to 16, and likely will never in my lifetime.  But there's also something to be said that the high stakes each and every Saturday is what makes FBS special.  4 teams has perhaps added to that.  16 teams may dilute it...I don't know, but I think so.  

A small improvement. If every other Divison and subdivision can have a minimum 16 team playoff so could the FBS.

I'll agree with that. We're possibly looking at the same situation we always had under previous systems - losses late in the season killing one team's chances while early season losses by another team are brushed under the rug. Two weeks ago, Alabama was all-but-dead. Now they're amazingly back in contention just because they lost first? If Ole Miss loses to Miss State by 1 in an seventeen OT game, are they suddenly not worthy of a playoff berth but the Crimson Tide are?