SiouxSports.com Forum

FBS games

darell1976

Woulda coulda shoulda...you're adding your own opinion on top of AP and coach poll subjectivity...

Here are my two favorite Nebraska bowl memories...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoNs0mdKAO8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFyWCNAjxic

Penn State game would have been somewhat interesting. Penn State's offense was pretty good but their defense was atrocious while Nebraska was more balanced. I believe Nebraska would have probably scored every time they got the ball against Penn State and would have ended up beating them up on the line of scrimmage.

Michigan game would have been a complete joke. Huskers win that by 3 or 4 touchdowns easily.

I think if it is Michigan State or Ohio State a 1 loss Big 10 team will get in, if it is the Gophers as much as I would love to see them in I doubt they would get in. I think TCU is in the best spot for the Big 12 as their only loss was one that they kind of gave away and Baylor had to get a few very questionable calls late to win.

The Gophers would have to take out Ohio State and likely Michigan State to run the table. Now if TCU also has one loss it becomes a no brainer based on the thumping from a month ago.

The Gophers would have to take out Ohio State and likely Michigan State to run the table. Now if TCU also has one loss it becomes a no brainer based on the thumping from a month ago.

True, one team I don't think enough people are considering right now is Georgia with the only real tough game left in the regular season for them vs. Auburn and then a likely SEC Championship matchup against Ole Miss or Miss St.

True, one team I don't think enough people are considering right now is Georgia with the only real tough game left in the regular season for them vs. Auburn and then a likely SEC Championship matchup against Ole Miss or Miss St.

I watch Georgia often and they have been most impressive this season. They're a dark horse!

Nebraska would've beaten both Penn St and Michigan. I dream of the day my Huskers will play like that again. Not go toe to toe with someone like McNeese State.

Penn State game would have been somewhat interesting. Penn State's offense was pretty good but their defense was atrocious while Nebraska was more balanced. I believe Nebraska would have probably scored every time they got the ball against Penn State and would have ended up beating them up on the line of scrimmage.

Michigan game would have been a complete joke. Huskers win that by 3 or 4 touchdowns easily.

OK, boys, let's add some actual facts to the 1997 equation instead of your pure speculation. Darell, I can assume you're in favor of this since you prefer to play the games on the field (i.e. UND vs NDSU) instead of speculating anyways...

In 1997, Michigan played and defeated 7 ranked teams, including #2 and #4 on the road. Nebraska played and defeated only 4,

Michigan:

#8 Colorado 27-3

#15 Iowa 28-24

@ #15 Michigan State 23-7

@ #2 Penn State 34-8

@ #23 Wisconsin 26-16

#4 Ohio State 20-14

#8 Washington State (bowl game) 21-16

Nebraska:

@ #2 Washington 27-14

#17 Kansas State 56-26

#14 Texas A&M 54-15

#3 Tennessee (bowl game) 42-17

Now, the Colorado game is bolded for Michigan because the Buffaloes were a common opponent of the Wolverines and Cornhuskers. Michigan played a highly-touted #8 Colorado team in their first game of the season. Colorado was coming in having already played a game, a 31-21 home victory over Colorado State. Michigan put a 27-3 whoopin' on the Buffaloes in Michigan Stadium. By contrast, a deflated, beaten-down Colorado team was 5-5 by the time they played Nebraska at home in their season finale, a game that an undefeated Nebraska team with everything to play for won by only three points, 27-24.

Also of note, both schools played unranked Baylor. Michigan defeated Baylor at home by a score of 38-3. Nebraska went to Baylor and beat the Bears 49-21.

1997 was also the year of the now-famous "flea kicker" game between Nebraska and Missouri. Nebraska beat Mizzou by 7 in OT in Columbia thanks to the controversial play by Shevin Wiggins, a play that should have been a 15 yard penalty for illegal kicking (which would have resulted in a 38-31 Missouri win). Wiggins himself admitted after the game that he was intentionally trying to kick the ball in the air to himself - Matt Davison made a diving catch on the kicked ball in what was incorrectly ruled a TD on the final play of the game, turning the 7 point loss into a 38-38 tie. As already mentioned above, Nebraska would win in OT, 45-38. THE Ohio State University also happened to play Missouri in Columbia earlier that year, putting a 31-10 beat-down on the Tigers. That same Buckeye team lost to Michigan 20-14.

Michigan caught flack for playing a "sub-par" bowl team, Washington State. Nebraska, as previously mentioned, defeated Washington 27-14 in Seattle. The Cougars of Washington State, meanwhile, lit up the Huskies for 41 points in their match-up in Seattle, winning by 6. Washington State's team put up some incredible offensive numbers that season. Here's a look at their total points scored in each game that season:

UCLA: 37

@ USC: 28

@ Illinois: 35

Boise State: 58

@ Oregon: 24

Cal: 63

Arizona: 35

@ Arizona State: 31 (a loss)

SW Louisiana: 77

Stanford: 38

@ Washington: 41

That prolific offense of the Cougars could only muster up 16 points against Michigan in the Rose Bowl on New Years' Day. Nebraska had the good fortune of playing Tennessee a day later and figured if they ran up the score on the Volunteers, they could leap-frog Michigan. Unfortunately, that's exactly what happened...and the coaches took the bait. At least the AP voters got it right.

So, petey, I know that's a lot to chew on, but Nebraska over Michigan by 21-28 points? Seriously? No way.

BREAKING NEWS:

The Big 10 has voted out Michigan football effective at the conclusion of today's debacle at Michigan State. Their spot in the schedule will be taken over by NDSU next Saturday.

C'mon don't excite the Bisons even more, they already creamed themselves from us losing to SUU. I think they care more about that game than their own game.

BREAKING NEWS:

The Big 10 has voted out Michigan football effective at the conclusion of today's debacle at Michigan State. Their spot in the schedule will be taken over by NDSU next Saturday.

I've heard that Les Miles would come to Michigan if Dave Brandon is fired.  

I see Michigan got trolled by Michigan State during the game with a plane flying over the stadium with a banner saying "U of M - Keep Brady Hoke - Plzzz."

Even ESPN had fun by saying Michigan might want to hire Rich Rod.

Love it.   THAT is what rivalries are all about.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2244333-plane-flies-over-michigan-vs-michigan-state-game-with-keep-brady-hoke-banner

I see Michigan got trolled by Michigan State during the game with a plane flying over the stadium with a banner saying "U of M - Keep Brady Hoke - Plzzz."

Even ESPN had fun by saying Michigan might want to hire Rich Rod.

I feel bad for Brady, I really do. This was his dream job - and for one season, it looked like a perfect match. Sadly, it appears that all hope has been lost. Michigan's a mess...I would not be shocked to see Brady resign on Monday morning.