SiouxSports.com Forum

FBS games

darell1976

I'll agree with that. We're possibly looking at the same situation we always had under previous systems - losses late in the season killing one team's chances while early season losses by another team are brushed under the rug. Two weeks ago, Alabama was all-but-dead. Now they're amazingly back in contention just because they lost first? If Ole Miss loses to Miss State by 1 in an seventeen OT game, are they suddenly not worthy of a playoff berth but the Crimson Tide are?

Precisely why a playoff committee is the right approach, to mitigate exactly this.  

10 conferences (10 autobids)

ECU

Florida State

Kansas State

Michigan State

Marshall

Toledo

Boise State

Oregon

Ole Miss

Georgia Southern

6 at large teams

Miss St

Alabama

Notre Dame

Minnesota

Nebraska

Duke

Wouldn't it be fun to see these 16 teams battle it out for a NC?  

Precisely why a playoff committee is the right approach, to mitigate exactly this.

Not with just four teams. If Ole Miss loses to Miss State exactly how I described it (I know it's a stretch) and finishes the season with only 1 loss and Alabama finishes with 1 loss as well, it'll be a travesty if the Tide rolls into the playoffs and the Rebels stay home.

Not with just four teams. If Ole Miss loses to Miss State exactly how I described it (I know it's a stretch) and finishes the season with only 1 loss and Alabama finishes with 1 loss as well, it'll be a travesty if the Tide rolls into the playoffs and the Rebels stay home.

Exactly.  Then this 4 team playoff would be no better than the BCS rankings of years past. Too many teams could end up with 1 loss then the argument begins and won't stop until next August.

# 5 isn't going to like it.  #9 wouldn't like it if it expanded.  #17 wouldn't like it in Darrell's scenario.  #69 doesn't like it in MBB now.  What if Georgia knocks off Miss St at the SEC championship game, then what?  The three teams in question are all in the same SEC division anyway, so I don't see it playing out this way. 

# 5 isn't going to like it.  #9 wouldn't like it if it expanded.  #17 wouldn't like it in Darrell's scenario.  #69 doesn't like it in MBB now.  What if Georgia knocks off Miss St at the SEC championship game, then what?  The three teams in question are all in the same SEC division anyway, so I don't see it playing out this way. 

This 4 team playoff is going to have the same talk as the bubble teams in March Madness. Those who are left out will bitch and moan until the next season begins. Could you imagine if you have 5 undefeated teams. 

# 5 isn't going to like it. #9 wouldn't like it if it expanded. #17 wouldn't like it in Darrell's scenario. #69 doesn't like it in MBB now. What if Georgia knocks off Miss St at the SEC championship game, then what? The three teams in question are all in the same SEC division anyway, so I don't see it playing out this way.

Alabama already lost to Ole Miss. End of discussion as to who's "in" should Miss State beat Ole Miss in a close game.

Alabama already lost to Ole Miss. End of discussion as to who's "in" should Miss State beat Ole Miss in a close game.

Great, you just answered your own question!  So if some clowns on a message board (myself INCLUDED) can figure this out in a matter of minutes, my hunch is someone like Condeleeza Rice can arrive at the same conclusion.  

Good! At least people are talking!

I agree. People forget what a joke the coaches and AP polls were back in the day.

#1 ranked Penn State gave Ohio State an epic beatdown in 1994. The Coaches Poll came out two days later and Ohio State coach Earl Bruce voted NEBRASKA #1. Nebraska would overtake Penn State in both polls and go on to win the national championship. Go figure...

1997: Michigan was #1 in both polls going into New Year's Bowl Day. The Wolverines win the Rose Bowl but the coaches poll flips and gives Nebraska's Tom Osborne a retirement gift by awarding the Huskers 1/2 of the national championship. It remains the ONLY time in poll history that the #1 team was dropped after WINNING its bowl game.

And don't even get me started on the supposed "fix-it-all" BCS system...

• Upvote 2

I agree. People forget what a joke the coaches and AP polls were back in the day.

#1 ranked Penn State gave Ohio State an epic beatdown in 1994. The Coaches Poll came out two days later and Ohio State coach Earl Bruce voted NEBRASKA #1. Nebraska would overtake Penn State in both polls and go on to win the national championship. Go figure...

1997: Michigan was #1 in both polls going into New Year's Bowl Day. The Wolverines win the Rose Bowl but the coaches poll flips and gives Nebraska's Tom Osborne a retirement gift by awarding the Huskers 1/2 of the national championship. It remains the ONLY time in poll history that the #1 team was dropped after WINNING its bowl game.

As a Husker fan I do have to point out that Vegas would have given you 13 or 14 points to bet on either Penn St. or Michigan against Nebraska. :whistling:

Nebraska would've beaten both Penn St and Michigan. I dream of the day my Huskers will play like that again. Not go toe to toe with someone like McNeese State. 

I don't care what Vegas would have given me or anyone else.  The polls were highly subjective and Nebraska was the king of having starters hang around late in the 4th quarter of blow-out games so they could run up the score on opponents to "impress" coaches and AP pollsters. 

Nebraska would've beaten both Penn St and Michigan. I dream of the day my Huskers will play like that again. Not go toe to toe with someone like McNeese State.

Woulda coulda shoulda...you're adding your own opinion on top of AP and coach poll subjectivity...

Here are my two favorite Nebraska bowl memories...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoNs0mdKAO8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFyWCNAjxic

Woulda coulda shoulda...you're adding your own opinion on top of AP and coach poll subjectivity...

Here are my two favorite Nebraska bowl memories...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoNs0mdKAO8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFyWCNAjxic

I prefer this one against Miami

And of course the best run by a QB

Will a 1 loss Big 10 team get in? (i.e: OSU, MSU and yes even Minnesota)

I think a 1 loss team Big 12 will get in with either KSU or TCU winning out.

I don't see a B1G getting in. I just don't see the quality wins... Plus one of their "elite" teams got thumped at Oregon.

I don't see a B1G getting in. I just don't see the quality wins... Plus one of their "elite" teams got thumped at Oregon.

A 46-27 final, yes, but that was a 32-27 game after 3 quarters and MSU played well. Oregon got a TD early in the 4th and another with less than 1:30 left after the Spartans turned the ball over at the 8:04 mark (INT) when they were at Oregon's 31. The Ducks almost ran the clock out with their last drive.

A 46-27 final, yes, but that was a 32-27 game after 3 quarters and MSU played well. Oregon got a TD early in the 4th and another with less than 1:30 left after the Spartans turned the ball over at the 8:04 mark (INT) when they were at Oregon's 31. The Ducks almost ran the clock out with their last drive.

Did MSU even score in the second half? We'll see what happens. Should be a lot of fun

Will a 1 loss Big 10 team get in? (i.e: OSU, MSU and yes even Minnesota)

I think a 1 loss team Big 12 will get in with either KSU or TCU winning out.

I think if it is Michigan State or Ohio State a 1 loss Big 10 team will get in, if it is the Gophers as much as I would love to see them in I doubt they would get in. I think TCU is in the best spot for the Big 12 as their only loss was one that they kind of gave away and Baylor had to get a few very questionable calls late to win.