SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 Recruiting

Hambone

My understanding is that Brown was up here at a camp and really liked the facilities, campus, coaches and current players.  He was headed to camps at USD and SDSU right after UND's and decided rather than wait to see if they offered, to take the UND offer before attending the other camps.  It was also possible that UND was only going to take one guard and by waiting, he could have missed his opportunity.  Being he liked everything he had seen about UND, it wasn't worth the risk.

Are you implying a UND coach put pressure on a recruit by saying if he didn't accept the offer right away it may not be there later? I thought only NDSU football coaches did that?

Are you implying a UND coach put pressure on a recruit by saying if he didn't accept the offer right away it may not be there later? I thought only NDSU football coaches did that?

UND coaches didn't say anything even close to that, they had no issues with him going to camp at USD and SDSU nor did they didn't tell him he had to make a decision on the spot or they were pulling his offer and moving on.  The recruit was the one who made the call because he enjoyed what he had seen at UND.

On top of that, comparing football and basketball recruiting is ridiculous and not even in the same ballpark as multiple kids are brought in for the same position in football every year.  With limited scholarships and roster spots, the same can't be said about basketball.  But you know that and are just trolling, not sure why I bother.  Huge difference between telling a kid to take the offer, preventing him from going and visiting somewhere else, or its getting pulled vs. having multiple offers out and only taking 1 or 2 at a certain position with all the recruits knowing the situation. 

A lot of staff's do that, not just NDSU.  But, pretty sure that UND has no bargaining power when it comes to this type of situation so I don't think they said anything like that.  

A lot of staff's do that, not just NDSU.  But, pretty sure that UND has no bargaining power when it comes to this type of situation so I don't think they said anything like that.  

Although, if they are recruiting another player at that position, it's likely that they told him there is only one scholarship for that position.  First one to commit gets it.

And I would argue that UND is in better position to get commits than they used to.  UND is seen here in the cities as a program that is building something. Has some talented kids that can "just ball."  (had to put that in there)

Although, if they are recruiting another player at that position, it's likely that they told him there is only one scholarship for that position.  First one to commit gets it.

And I would argue that UND is in better position to get commits than they used to.  UND is seen here in the cities as a program that is building something. Has some talented kids that can "just ball."  (had to put that in there)

I don't have any argument there.  Just want to point out the difference in situations the FU trolls are trying to blur the lines on.  The staff had no issue with the recruit attending other camps and they were not going to pull his offer or move on if he did so, but there may have been only room for one player and whoever took it first, would get the scholarship.  That is a considerably different situation from telling a recruit he has to make a decision immediately and if he goes to another camp, his scholarship offer is being pulled and the staff is moving on.  The latter prevents handcuffs a recruit and doesn't allow them any sort of chance to see what else might be out there.  The former puts the decision in the recruits hands, weighing the risk/reward of the situation.

... there may have been only room for one player and whoever took it first, would get the scholarship.  

That's being honest about a situation. 

.. telling a recruit he has to make a decision immediately and if he goes to another camp, his scholarship offer is being pulled and the staff is moving on. 

That's being predatory. I hope no staff, anywhere, does that. (If that were tried on me I'd walk away because it would tell me how things are done there.) 

• 3 weeks later...

New offer:

SG Tyler Peterson, 6'4", 190, Circle Pines (Centennial), MN  Averaged 15 ppg as a sophomore. His consistency last year was somewhat remarkable - there were only two games all season where he wasn't in double figures (scored 7 twice).

Has offer from USD and has visits to SDSU & NDSU scheduled.

Peterson will go to USD.

saw brown play a couple AAU games ...he really is not a D1 player, , scored 3-4 pts each game,did not start, and had serious problems with backcourt pressure.  With Portland ST, and EW bringing in quality transfers  , UND needs to up their standards.

Edited by hoops44

saw brown play a couple AAU games ...he really is not a D1 player, , scored 3-4 pts each game,did not start, and had serious problems with backcourt pressure.  With Portland ST, and EW bringing in quality transfers  , UND needs to up their standards.

Thanks for the insight - disappointing!

Thanks for the insight - disappointing!

If the worst thing in the world is that he turns into another Schuler or Hobaugh is that necessary a bad thing?  We need role players too.  I wouldn't worry about it too much.  From what I heard he has had a pretty decent summer.

Didn't his AAU team win the national championship?  I haven't seen any box scores that showed how he did but he was on a pretty good team.  I also have not saw much of him in action except his highlight tapes but if the coaching staff was confident enough after seeing him in person at the elite camp, then I would assume they know what kind of player he is.

• Downvote 1

Didn't his AAU team win the national championship?  I haven't seen any box scores that showed how he did but he was on a pretty good team.  I also have not saw much of him in action except his highlight tapes but if the coaching staff was confident enough after seeing him in person at the elite camp, then I would assume they know what kind of player he is.

Team won a level B "national tourney" in Kentucky no prep stars or rated AAU teams played in it. Prep Hoops Iowa final rating had them rated 4th in low talent Iowa final 17U AAU ratings.

Team won a level B "national tourney" in Kentucky no prep stars or rated AAU teams played in it. Prep Hoops Iowa final rating had them rated 4th in low talent Iowa final 17U AAU ratings.

I'm not as familiar as you likely are but they won the D-1/U-17 division and aausports.org has them ranked as the #11 team in the country, not sure when that was last updated.  The Prep Hoops Iowa rankings that you're referencing also haven't been updated since May 22.  Martin Brothers is a hugely successful AAU team dating back decades.

My only point is that the kid is on a successful AAU team, impressed the coach's in person at the Elite camp, had interest from multiple area schools and is a multi-sport athlete, yet you're already downplaying him as a mistake off a few games that as far as I can tell, weren't available for viewing and have no box scores.  UND has a very good Iowa connection with Horner and Jones, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt until the kid is at least on campus.

I'm not as familiar as you likely are but they won the D-1/U-17 division and aausports.org has them ranked as the #11 team in the country, not sure when that was last updated.  The Prep Hoops Iowa rankings that you're referencing also haven't been updated since May 22.  Martin Brothers is a hugely successful AAU team dating back decades.

My only point is that the kid is on a successful AAU team, impressed the coach's in person at the Elite camp, had interest from multiple area schools and is a multi-sport athlete, yet you're already downplaying him as a mistake off a few games that as far as I can tell, weren't available for viewing and have no box scores.  UND has a very good Iowa connection with Horner and Jones, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt until the kid is at least on campus.

Martin Brothers consistently a top shelf aau program. Marcus Paige, Woodbury are recent alum. 

This AAU rankings and tourney does not include the EYBL and adidas  uprising teams where the big boys compete... This AAU ranking and tourney are for the lower level national programs. The AAU website rankings had MN Comets ranked 8th nationally....they were a mid level AAU team in MN. ....Finished 10TH In MN with 28-19 per north star hoops....

10Comets Lewis28-19SW Stars (x2), Fury Jordan, Fury Wilde, Heat Vang, Fury Zurn 16, Grassroots, WOTN Swed, RA Jay (x2), Heat NW, SwishFury Wilde, WOTN Nicols (x2), Heat Vang, Select Altenhofen, Select Ohnstad10.  

The Elite program in Iowa all iowa attack....got invited to play in the 40 Team Nike EYBL league next season... I watched Martins last 2 games and Brown did not start,   one kid in front of him was a nice mid major kid.  Billy had 6 points in 2 games, got pulled after 2 straight turnovers in final.  His defense was ok, maybe if he concentrates on one sport he might be an ok back up as a 5th year senior.   

His defense was ok, maybe if he concentrates on one sport he might be an ok back up as a 5th year senior.   

That's just a ridiculous comment.  Again, the kid hasn't even played his senior year in high school.  Clearly the coaches see something you don't.  For the most part, they have been pretty good at identifying talent at the high school level.  Molding them once they get onto campus has been an issue in some cases, but that is a different argument.

This AAU rankings and tourney does not include the EYBL and adidas  uprising teams where the big boys compete... This AAU ranking and tourney are for the lower level national programs. The AAU website rankings had MN Comets ranked 8th nationally....they were a mid level AAU team in MN. ....Finished 10TH In MN with 28-19 per north star hoops....

10Comets Lewis28-19SW Stars (x2), Fury Jordan, Fury Wilde, Heat Vang, Fury Zurn 16, Grassroots, WOTN Swed, RA Jay (x2), Heat NW, SwishFury Wilde, WOTN Nicols (x2), Heat Vang, Select Altenhofen, Select Ohnstad10.  

The Elite program in Iowa all iowa attack....got invited to play in the 40 Team Nike EYBL league next season... I watched Martins last 2 games and Brown did not start,   one kid in front of him was a nice mid major kid.  Billy had 6 points in 2 games, got pulled after 2 straight turnovers in final.  His defense was ok, maybe if he concentrates on one sport he might be an ok back up as a 5th year senior.   

Regardless. Historical success of Martin Brothers cannot be disputed.  Has produced several d1 players. Forgot about Gesell. As for the rest of your post - inaccurate conclusion based on poor, inadequate data.