SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 Recruiting

Hambone

27 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Silly question, but why is this thread still open? Aren't we recruiting 2016-17?

We are talking about a kid that would show up (and be eligible) this fall.  As recruits normally sign in November and the next April (and arrive on campus that same year), this would pertain to the '15-'16 recruiting class.

2 hours ago, hoops44 said:

Looking at twitters...Brown is coming...Baldwin looks UND strong.   Avants twitter is shut down...Cashman is a possible attrition . Hopefully not Baker leaving because they brought in Stewart. 

i would think replacing a guard with a guard makes the most sense but with 2 caveats: it's so late in the process that they probably just want to get any warm body and cashman barely played last year so i could see him wanting to leave

6 minutes ago, UNDhoops said:

i would think replacing a guard with a guard makes the most sense but with 2 caveats: it's so late in the process that they probably just want to get any warm body and cashman barely played last year so i could see him wanting to leave

Wasn't he academically ineligible?

Cashman a fish/wildlife management major and not likely to entertain any D1 offers if he transferred...probably ok with the free ride at a school with his major and riding the pine.   UND may reserve the right to release him based on academic progress.....   While looking for a live body is pragmatic at this point in time bringing in juco kid who is likely to be the 4th guard on the depth chart assuming Baker stays may not be the right move from a team chemistry perspective

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Here we go again.  Starting to resort to transfers.  Have heard that W. Baker (transfer) might not be back, which says a lot considering he didn't even play.  We will see on that one.  

They are taking on the look of the 2014 team - losing high school kids (McDermott and possibly Cashman) and backfilling with transfers, which is real good for the locker room.  

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Here we go again.  Starting to resort to transfers.  Have heard that W. Baker (transfer) might not be back, which says a lot considering he didn't even play.  We will see on that one.  

They are taking on the look of the 2014 team - losing high school kids (McDermott and possibly Cashman) and backfilling with transfers, which is real good for the locker room.  

Someone must not be coming back or in to make this move.... just need to speed this up and let it be November already.  I really hope its not Baker.

bringing jucos is fine ...nothing to cry about....Looks like Baker bolted  Zero reason for him to show up at UND if baker was staying Kinsey playing at the D2 juco level did not shoot very well....59% from the line which sucks for a guard and average 35% from the 3. Did have about a dozen low D1 offers including a couple IVY leagues schools...per verbal commits.    https://youtu.be/K6MBe_f7h1w

Strengths:
This guy was built to slash, but what differentiates him is that his driving game is going to translate to the next level very well. He's not just quick but also low to the ground, capable of creating tempo in the open floor or attacking either side in the half-court. He's aggressive with his attack and constantly able to get into the paint but yet difficult to draw charges on because of his quick reactions.

Weaknesses:
He's an attacker not a facilitator, yet he needs the ball in his hands so there is a question about what position he plays. He doesn't show much confidence in his jumper and prefers isolation's to ball-screens and so he's fairly one dimensional with his attack, and also doesn't give nearly the same level effort on the defensive end.

Bottom Line:
There are a lot of driving playmakers out there but not a lot of them whose game projects well at the next level. Kinsey is that guy and if he can become a little more of a threat with his jumper and buy into the defensive end of the floor, he'll have a lot of versatility at the right level. ESPN had him about a top 550 kid coming out of High School

1 hour ago, northernraider said:

This must be the kid I  saw with Coach Jones and Dirden Saturday morning at Darcy's Cafe. The pancakes must have sealed the deal!  

best pancakes this side of Leavenworth Federal Prison

Tom Miller writes that Baker is still on board....

At DMACC, McGinn said he played Kinsey off the ball to facilitate his scoring ability. In close games down the stretch, however, Kinsey played the point.

"He has a cerebral sense of basketball and that will help make this transition," McGinn said. "He understands what it takes to play at the Division I level."

In 2016, DMACC finished 15-10 overall and 2-10 in conference play. Kinsey was one of two Division I-bound players on the team. Baylee Steele, a 6-foot-11 center, is headed to Eastern Michigan.

Kinsey joins an experienced backcourt at UND, which returns starters Quinton Hooker and Geno Crandall and part-time starter Corey Baldwin.

Guard Wheeler Baker, who sat out last season after transferring from Albany, will also be eligible in the 2016-17 season.

Miller only noted that Baker sat out last year after transferring in and will be eligible this season.

I don't think that means Baker is or isn't going to be here next season.

Bringing in Kinsey definitely gives me reason to be concerned about Baker.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Solomon at 12 pts and 6 boards a games ,maybe the 3rd best numbers on an  average at best Juco team..  Did not have any other offers listed. and was only HM all Scenic West...not really the chops for a decent D1 prospect.   Highlight films are interesting  but not a player evaluation tool like unedited game film.   Maybe Jones will red shirt him or maybe Jones was in need of a warm body.