SiouxSports.com Forum

No more local GF newscast at 5

gfNDfan

Starting today, WDAZ has lost their local 5pm newscast and carries WDAY news at 5. No warning...a blurb mention at the end of the first block about how this is a new "regional" (meaning fargo focused) newscast. So much for your "HOME TEAM":-0

This was their only arguement against KVLY and KXJB for ALL these years - "WE'RE YOUR HOME TEAM!" Now WDAY is eating their own children in WDAZ....and Sweeney better start looking for a new job.

Awesome. I guess we can expect a Bison heavy sportscast every day :glare: This really sucks!

Actually living here in Fargo, I always watch WDAY for sports, they have more about UND than KVLY. KVLY is very heavy on the Bison and very little on UND, where Dom Izzo does a good job on UND. KVLY is so heavy on NDSU that they have a Bison section on their app, remember they represent the "Valley". Yeah right.

• Upvote 1

Actually living here in Fargo, I always watch WDAY for sports, they have more about UND than KVLY. KVLY is very heavy on the Bison and very little on UND, where Dom Izzo does a good job on UND. KVLY is so heavy on NDSU that they have a Bison section on their app, remember they represent the "Valley". Yeah right.

I think WDAY having the radio contract for our teams has something to do with this. As for KVLY, they are basically a branch of the NDSU Media Relations Department.

I think WDAY having the radio contract for our teams has something to do with this. As for KVLY, they are basically a branch of the NDSU Media Relations Department.

Jamal Spencer would get up set when me and a buddy of mine would call him out on FB on all the Bison news stories and nothing on UND. I would point out KVLY is supposed to represent the whole valley not just the southern valley. He said on weekends they are short staffed and can't cover everyone, in other words since Jamal loves the Bison that's what you get.

• Upvote 1

Jamal Spencer would get up set when me and a buddy of mine would call him out on FB on all the Bison news stories and nothing on UND. I would point out KVLY is supposed to represent the whole valley not just the southern valley. He said on weekends they are short staffed and can't cover everyone, in other words since Jamal loves the Bison that's what you get.

You have to win baby - just win. Any UND fan would be hard pressed to name more than a couple of big UND fb news in the last 7 years...so what's to report?

You have to win baby - just win. Any UND fan would be hard pressed to name more than a couple of big UND fb news in the last 7 years...so what's to report?

Clearly UND athletics has managed to keep your attention over that time span with the amount of time you spend here.

Clearly UND athletics has managed to keep your attention over that time span with the amount of time you spend here.

What does your reply have to do with the point at hand? Fact is if you are winning you usually get more press. Its the nature of the beast. Geez you guys are angry.

Saw this and was disappointed. How long until we are like Devils Lake and just have a bureau office, with a story on the Fargo (WDAY) cast?

probably not long. Their claim to be the "home team" for local advertisers is on a slippery slope downwards....

--The weather has (since the very early days) been recorded from Fargo. It's pretty funny they have a recent promo that shows the anchors kibitzing on set, including WHEELER:-) That's probably the first and last time John Wheeler ever actually set foot on the WDAZ set - yet they act like he's there everyday - in spirit I guess - ridiculous!

--The DAZ weekend newscasts went away a year or two ago in favor of showing WDAY...how long ago? I can't remember but that was the first big step.

--NOW the 5pm has gone Fargo....the next step is they cut the DAZ "local" news down to a 2nd block within the DAY simulcast - then it becomes a bureau situation where they have a couple reporters here in case something blows up. WDAZ once put on a very well respected local newscast - both journalistically and visually - for a small TV station in the upper midwest. Sad!