SiouxSports.com Forum

Future UND/ Bison football Game

Dagger

Really?  "Business deals"?  If this is strictly a money issue UND comes out pretty good considering it's an hour bus trip south.

For all you "Fire Faison" and "UND got bent over" crowd...explain to me what cards is/was UND holding?  What leverage did/do they have in this whole process?  "Respect"?  "Weber State"? 

Another question...when that Saturday next September rolls around who has the most to gain when the clock reads 0:00?

I live in Fargo.  UND's FB program is seen as a complete joke by SU supports but now there is nothing but talk about "what happens if we lose" next September by those same people. 

Personally I am tired of the "ugly redheaded step child" treatment UND's FB program has got and is getting in this state.  Good for Bubba for taking a risk to change that.  You, Matt and Irish can all keep staring at your full size posters of Muss tacked to your bedroom ceiling.

Carry on............

Poster of Muss?

How can you possibly read my posts regarding this deal (or those from the last few football seasons) and think I've been one of those that prefers to blindly follow leadership toward he cliff, all the while suppressing dissent in the name of "supporting the program"?

Really? "Business deals"? If this is strictly a money issue UND comes out pretty good considering it's an hour bus trip south.

For all you "Fire Faison" and "UND got bent over" crowd...explain to me what cards is/was UND holding? What leverage did/do they have in this whole process? "Respect"? "Weber State"?

Another question...when that Saturday next September rolls around who has the most to gain when the clock reads 0:00?

I live in Fargo. UND's FB program is seen as a complete joke by SU supports but now there is nothing but talk about "what happens if we lose" next September by those same people.

Personally I am tired of the "ugly redheaded step child" treatment UND's FB program has got and is getting in this state. Good for Bubba for taking a risk to change that. You, Matt and Irish can all keep staring at your full size posters of Muss tacked to your bedroom ceiling. ;)

Carry on............

lol.  Number 2 sport in ND?  Did you see the 17,000 fans at the last NC?  How about the 5,000 down at KS?  What do you get for the hockey final 4 - 2,000? 

ummmmm...........tickets weren't available because the arena was sold out.   I was only able to get tickets because I have kids in Nodak Nation.   I couldn't get them through my Champions Club membership.

Really? "Business deals"? If this is strictly a money issue UND comes out pretty good considering it's an hour bus trip south.

For all you "Fire Faison" and "UND got bent over" crowd...explain to me what cards is/was UND holding? What leverage did/do they have in this whole process? "Respect"? "Weber State"?

I live in Fargo. UND's FB program is seen as a complete joke by SU supports but now there is nothing but talk about "what happens if we lose" next September by those same people.

Personally I am tired of the "ugly redheaded step child" treatment UND's FB program has got and is getting in this state. Good for Bubba for taking a risk to change that. You, Matt and Irish can all keep staring at your full size posters of Muss tacked to your bedroom ceiling. ;)

Carry on............

Whoa whoa whoa, Oxbow6...be careful or you'll be labled a heretic scheduled for being burned at the stake like me. Just toe the party line here, comrade, and you'll be ok.

Honestly curious, do you have any examples of FCS teams signing a 2 game contract with both played in the same place? Or even 2 FBS teams doing? For a price below what other teams have got? None of the ones you're citing are the same as what UND signed.

It is what it is and Bubba is the one who decided it was worth it to sign the deal. Just saying, I don't know of any others that are similar off the top of my head.

Here's a good example of a fairly similar situation...check out the demands of West Virginia and Marshall in this "rivalry" as well as the eventual resolution. Interesting stuff.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friends_of_Coal_Bowl

If you feel UND comes out "pretty good" accepting a low-ball offer many D2 teams would reject, I congratulate you on your rationalization skills. But you're right about one thing: This isn't about money. It's not about standing up to the competition. It's about stooping down to accept any offer from the AC, however one-sided, because some fans - and apparently our new coach - seem unable to define success in any other way.

I enjoyed UND-NDSU football games for 30+ years. I look forward to the day when real rivalry resumes. But UND is in a great new league now with great competition. Its too bad you and others here can't see that and continue to obscess over playing the AC as the only way to legitimacy for UND football.

The rubes at Bisonville love to cackle that "we're their Superbowl." Sadly, you're living proof that for at least a minority of Sioux fans they're absolutely right.

The day the real rivalry resumes is when both teams are playing every year in the same conference. This is like a family reunion, show up once in a while, see how's it going, then return to your home (conference).  

Whoa whoa whoa, Oxbow6...be careful or you'll be labled a heretic scheduled for being burned at the stake like me. Just toe the party line here, comrade, and you'll be ok.

In hindsight, Faison and Bubba should have paid for an NAIA cupcake to fill next year's schedule to appease those UND supporters who want another snooze-fest home game and sure fire "W"...........................oh wait, bad example.

Here's a good example of a fairly similar situation...check out the demands of West Virginia and Marshall in this "rivalry" as well as the eventual resolution. Interesting stuff.

Not similar at all. This is more similar....

In terms of competitiveness, intensity and longevity, the Backyard Brawl with the Pitt Panthers is West Virginia's fiercest and most storied rivalry. Separated by only 70 miles, the two universities have competed on a mostly annual basis since 1895 (beginning in 1920 and resuming again in 1943 after World War II), generating some of the most exciting and memorable games in college football history.[64] Although Pitt holds a 61–40–3 advantage in the series, more than half of its victories in the Backyard Brawl came prior to 1952 when the Panthers dominated the series by a 34–9–1 margin. The Mountaineers hold a 26–22–2 edge over the Panthers since 1962 when the series began to interchange annually betweenMorgantown and Pittsburgh. West Virginia has also won seven of the last ten meetings. The future of the rivalry is in question, however, with WVU and Pitt competing in separate conferences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virginia_Mountaineers_football

If you feel UND comes out "pretty good" accepting a low-ball offer many D2 teams would reject, I congratulate you on your rationalization skills. But you're right about one thing: This isn't about money. It's not about standing up to the competition. It's about stooping down to accept any offer from the AC, however one-sided, because some fans - and apparently our new coach - seem unable to define success in any other way.

I enjoyed UND-NDSU football games for 30+ years. I look forward to the day when real rivalry resumes. But UND is in a great new league now with great competition. Its too bad you and others here can't see that and continue to obscess over playing the AC as the only way to legitimacy for UND football.

The rubes at Bisonville love to cackle that "we're their Superbowl." Sadly, you're living proof that for at least a minority of Sioux fans they're absolutely right.

You make a good point.

When BSC membership was secured there was much agreement that the top teams in the conference is where the bar was set.

Boy have times changed when there is so much riding on getting the game scheduled that you'd accept these terms.

Although Bubba being a MVFC and NSIC guy, I get it.

You don't get it; this is a huge game for UND, NDSU, and the state of North Dakota. Competition doesn't occur in scheduling; it occurs on the field and rightfully so.

Gripe about it all you want, but come Sept. 19 of 2015, and everyone won't care about the scheduling issue due to excitement. Let's play the damn game!

• Upvote 2

West Virginia and Marshall have discussed extending the series, but negotiations have resulted in an impasse. Marshall, despite having never won in the series, would like to have an alternating site format for revenue purposes, while West Virginia would prefer a "two-for-one" arrangement if one were to be made at all.

Apples and oranges comparison.  Your bison troll is showing.....

You don't get it; this is a huge game for UND, NDSU, and the state of North Dakota.

Gripe about it all you want, but come Sept. 19 of 2015, and everyone won't care about the scheduling issue due to excitement. Let's play the damn game!

This^^^^    UND plays San Jose St tomorrow, but what is getting talked about more, and on BV they play Iowa State Saturday, but this game is getting talked about more. Seems like since this game has been scheduled both fanbases are putting this game at the top of the list of things to look forward too. 

• Upvote 1

Interesting read, was not aware of it.  But I think "rivalry" is the more accurate description in this.  And while there are some similarities, there are some pretty significant differences:

• Marshall played at a lower level until 1997
  • Marshall has never actually beaten WVU
  • The meeting in 2006 was only the 6th meeting between the teams and only the second game between the two in the last 83 years.  

The agreement also guarantees two home games for Marshall (basically two 2-1's) and gave them a chance to host 3 out of the 7.  It also took outside intervention and pressure for the legislature to get the games scheduled.

If the teams agree to a two for one, I don't think there's much hand wringing from UND fans.  But the arrogance from GT telling alumni and Jorgenson at the press conference that a game at UND was not an option, especially after how the open records requests showed how GT "negotiated", rubs me the wrong way.

In the end, I'm not real excited about Bubba getting Faison to accept it, but understand his reasoning behind it.  I'll be at both games, hoping that UND can continue their outstanding record in the loaf.

• Upvote 1

Interesting read, was not aware of it.  And while there are some similarities, there are some pretty significant differences:

• The meeting in 2006 was only the 6th meeting between the teams and only the second game between the two in the last 83 years.  

The agreement also guarantees two home games for Marshall (basically two 2-1's) and gave them a chance to host 3 out of the 7.  It also took outside intervention and pressure for the legislature to get the games scheduled.

If the teams agree to a two for one, I don't think there's much hand wringing from UND fans.  But the arrogance from GT telling alumni and Jorgenson at the press conference that a game at UND was not an option, especially after how the open records requests showed GT "negotiating", rubs me the wrong way.

In the end, I'm not real excited about Bubba getting Faison to accept it, but understand his reasoning behind it.  I'll be at both games, hoping that UND can continue their outstanding record in the loaf.

People need to realize Taylor is at Iowa, and Jorgenson will NOT be the new AD, and them saying playing at UND is not an option is them being ignorant. Jorgenson is getting his 5 minutes of fame because the "new" AD will call the shots not him, not GT, not Craig Bohl, not Rocky Hagar. So why people get bent out of shape because some dumbass says one thing when its not going to mean !@#$ when the new AD with his priorities take over. Maybe the new AD will schedule a game at UND in 2018? You never know until it comes out of his mouth. 

People need to realize Taylor is at Iowa, and Jorgenson will NOT be the new AD, and them saying playing at UND is not an option is them being ignorant. Jorgenson is getting his 5 minutes of fame because the "new" AD will call the shots not him, not GT, not Craig Bohl, not Rocky Hagar. So why people get bent out of shape because some dumbass says one thing when its not going to mean !@#$ when the new AD with his priorities take over. Maybe the new AD will schedule a game at UND in 2018? You never know until it comes out of his mouth. 

Considering Jorgenson has had input in the football scheduling for quite a while now, I wouldn't discount what he says.  Yes, a new AD will be there but there is no guarantee that it will result in a better relationship between the schools.  And he'll have plenty of people/donors in his ear about scheduling.

Considering Jorgenson has had a large say in the football scheduling for quite a while now, I wouldn't discount what he says.  Yes, a new AD will be there but there is no guarantee that it will result in a better relationship between the schools.  And he'll have plenty of people/donors in his ear about scheduling.

Stop with that.

Only at UND does the input of others trump the AD.

Interesting read, was not aware of it. But I think "rivalry" is the more accurate description in this. And while there are some similarities, there are some pretty significant differences:

The agreement also guarantees two home games for Marshall (basically two 2-1's) and gave them a chance to host 3 out of the 7. It also took outside intervention and pressure for the legislature to get the games scheduled.
Perhaps "fairly similar" was a poor choice of words on my part. I was simply looking at the fact that they're the only major football schools in the state and one made the jump from 1-AA to playing with the big boys. It would seem that NDSU's thinking (whether or not you agree with it) in not playing UND is similar to West Virginia's logic for not wanting Marshall on the docket.

Also, following the logic that some here use, both Marshall and WVU are FBS schools with an equal number of scholarships. By default then, they're on "equal" footing.

Here is my take on the whole situation:

With Gene Taylor at the helm at NDSU, there was no way that this game was ever going to be scheduled in the way that would be fair to UND. It's been over 10 years and the leadership, as well as fans, are still bent out of shape about UND not going D1 when NDSU did. Sure a vocal minority said they would not be successful. Obviously they have proved the nay sayers wrong in a big way. But for some reason, Gene Taylor is still offended about a decision made by UND 2 AD's ago. So it may be true that GT orchestrated the deal that would have 2 games played in Fargo for a low ball value with no return game to GF ans a final F you to UND on his way out the door. He may have never thought that Faison would have agreed to it. Who knows.

So yes, on the surface a 2 for none deal with any school seems like a horrible deal. But look at it this way. NDSU did not want to schdule this game. But now since we accepted such a lopsided deal, they are committed. They are playind us. These games needed to be scheduled to get the ball rolling for future games. Especially for future game sin Grand Forks. So discussions are off on future games between NDSU and UND because we got two games in the books. Now do you think in a couple years when the conversation gets going again about future games that NDSU would be demanding that 2 more games be scheduled in Fargo? There is no way that UND would ever agree to that. In a way we have an advantage. After playing the game next year, people are going to demanding this game be sceduled more frequently. I doubt NDSU can get away with thinking that it should always be played in Fargo. So by agreeing to their demands for these first two games, it gives UND leverage in getting a game in GF.

I think I saw something about that in the SJSU thread.

I read something about people not liking this contract about 30 pages ago.  Move on.  Saying the same thing over and over again isn't going to change anything.  

The actual team that is playing in the game you so resent is also playing tomorrow night.  

I read something about people not liking this contract about 30 pages ago.  Move on.  Saying the same thing over and over again isn't going to change anything.  

The actual team that is playing in the game you so resent is also playing tomorrow night.

Does posting in this thread stop people from posting in other threads?

Do you tell other people at the Thanksgiving Dinner table what they should be talking about?