SiouxSports.com Forum

Future UND/ Bison football Game

Dagger

A neutral site game is a very interesting idea and one that should be explored. It would make tons of money for both schools and it would give alumni who live outside of the immediate Red River Valley region a chance to watch their team live and in person. It would also solve the issue of where the game(s) should take place.

Looking at the fan bases now and how they travel, any "neutral" site game would be a home game for the Bison.

It could be a 1 time deal to kick start things off.

I like that idea. Plus, many people in the RRV travel to Minny on a regular basis anyway so couple that with the alums from both schools in the cities already and it should produce a great crowd.

Seriously people?  A neutral site?  The potential opponent for this fantasy just offered you two road games, with no return.

Keep dreaming.

Seriously Matt, do you have a better solution? Obviously 2 away games is not an option and a home and home is highly unlikely to ever materialize.

I would rather not play the game if we have to go there twice. 

Seriously Matt, do you have a better solution? Obviously 2 away games is not an option and a home and home is highly unlikely to ever materialize.

I would rather not play the game if we have to go there twice. 

I think you misunderstand me.  I say "keep dreaming" not because I think the neutral site thing is a bad idea.

I say "keep dreaming" because the opponent views UND as a whore that is unworthy of an offer better than "come to my place twice or nothing".  

They certainly wouldn't invite a whore to a high profile event like a neutral site game in a large media market where we are both competing for recruits.

ps-i apologize to anyone offended by my choice of words, but I'm calling a spade a spade from now on.  No tip toeing around it anymore

I think you misunderstand me.  I say "keep dreaming" not because I think the neutral site thing is a bad idea.

I say "keep dreaming" because the opponent views UND as a whore that is unworthy of an offer better than "come to my place twice or nothing".  

They certainly wouldn't invite a whore to a high profile event like a neutral site game in a large media market where we are both competing for recruits.

ps-i apologize to anyone offended by my choice of words, but I'm calling a spade a spade from now on.  No tip toeing around it anymore

Your apology doesn't mean jack squat...and your analogy is way the hell out in left field (not to mention quite offensive...I never talk about NDSU that way even though your university lately is the girl that every guy gets his start with, but dumps immediately when bigger and marginally better prospects come along).  If you were UND, you'd be stupid not to try and get this game on the schedule, and (in my opinion) if you were NDSU you'd be stupid to schedule it at all.  NDSU has everything to lose and UND everything to gain from the situation.  If I'm Mr. Faison I don't even think I'd worry about NDSU right now...rather I'd worry about getting my program up to an elite level and let the chips fall where they may (i.e. meeting in the playoffs to re-start the rivalry).  I'm a die-hard Sioux fan, and I say leave NDSU alone...they can enjoy where they are at right now (they've earned it).  Someday soon enough, they'll be knocked from their pedestal and their arrogance (from Gene Taylor's general attitude towards UND to idiot fans calling UND derogatory names like above) will catch up with them.  Chances are this schmuck doesn't even remember the 90's...most Bison fans I know either jumped on the bandwagon in 2004 or have very "selective" memories.

Your apology doesn't mean jack squat...and your analogy is way the hell out in left field (not to mention quite offensive...I never talk about NDSU that way even though your university lately is the girl that every guy gets his start with, but dumps immediately when bigger and marginally better prospects come along).  If you were UND, you'd be stupid not to try and get this game on the schedule, and (in my opinion) if you were NDSU you'd be stupid to schedule it at all.  NDSU has everything to lose and UND everything to gain from the situation.  If I'm Mr. Faison I don't even think I'd worry about NDSU right now...rather I'd worry about getting my program up to an elite level and let the chips fall where they may (i.e. meeting in the playoffs to re-start the rivalry).  I'm a die-hard Sioux fan, and I say leave NDSU alone...they can enjoy where they are at right now (they've earned it).  Someday soon enough, they'll be knocked from their pedestal and their arrogance (from Gene Taylor's general attitude towards UND to idiot fans calling UND derogatory names like above) will catch up with them.  Chances are this schmuck doesn't even remember the 90's...most Bison fans I know either jumped on the bandwagon in 2004 or have very "selective" memories.

I would encourage you to read post #1925 of this thread.

A neutral site game is a very interesting idea and one that should be explored.  It would make tons of money for both schools and it would give alumni who live outside of the immediate Red River Valley region a chance to watch their team live and in person.  It would also solve the issue of where the game(s) should take place.

Play the game in Hillsboro in a parking lot. :) 

• Upvote 1

The rivalry had peaks and valleys for both schools.  That's why it was intense.  NDSU has enjoyed much more success on the national level over the past half century.  Younger UND fans are probably not aware of the number of times the Bison have either won the title, or came very close.  

Most Bison fans know that the crest we're riding right now can't last forever, but they expect to watch a very high caliber of football.  That's really what Bison football is about - the caliber of play on a consistent basis.  Isn't it kind of like that with UND hockey?  Don't the fans expect to see a national contender on the ice every year?  Nothing arrogant about that.  It's a part of the history of the program.  NDSU will enjoy its football program far into the future.  People will expect big things.  It's a part of the history of the program.  

I remember some outstanding Sioux football teams from the 70s.  That was the best era of competition.  There were some big upsets on both sides.

The rivalry had peaks and valleys for both schools. That's why it was intense. NDSU has enjoyed much more success on the national level over the past half century. Younger UND fans are probably not aware of the number of times the Bison have either won the title, or came very close.

Most Bison fans know that the crest we're riding right now can't last forever, but they expect to watch a very high caliber of football. That's really what Bison football is about - the caliber of play on a consistent basis. Isn't it kind of like that with UND hockey? Don't the fans expect to see a national contender on the ice every year? Nothing arrogant about that. It's a part of the history of the program. NDSU will enjoy its football program far into the future. People will expect big things. It's a part of the history of the program.

I remember some outstanding Sioux football teams from the 70s. That was the best era of competition. There were some big upsets on both sides.

UND in the 2000's was great to see too, from the NC team in 01 to the beat down they gave UNI in 06. UND will get to the top again, it's this hole that Bubba has to get this team out of that stands in the way.

UND in the 2000's was great to see too, from the NC team in 01 to the beat down they gave UNI in 06. UND will get to the top again, it's this hole that Bubba has to get this team out of that stands in the way.

And UND fans have this to be proud of in football.  The rivalry will resume someday.  Would have been nice if the two schools had moved up to DI together within the same conference.  Then there wouldn't be anymore foolish debating about whose fault it is.

• Upvote 1

And UND fans have this to be proud of in football. The rivalry will resume someday. Would have been nice if the two schools had moved up to DI together within the same conference. Then there wouldn't be anymore foolish debating about whose fault it is.

Unfortunately UND admin had no vision and it cost not only the sports programs but the institution as a whole.
  • Upvote 4

Unfortunately UND admin had no vision and it cost not only the sports programs but the institution as a whole.

Maybe they actually had great vision.  Had we also followed Northern Colorado at the same time, we would likely be wallowing in the Summit and MVFC right now along side the rest of the Dakota schools. 

No thanks.  The 5 year wait was a small price to pay for Big Sky affiliation, IMO.  If we had to do it all over again, I'd want it done the same way.

• Upvote 4

Maybe they actually had great vision.  Had we also followed Northern Colorado at the same time, we would likely be wallowing in the Summit and MVFC right now along side the rest of the Dakota schools. 

No thanks.  The 5 year wait was a small price to pay for Big Sky affiliation, IMO.  If we had to do it all over again, I'd want it done the same way.

Then let the rivalry thing go.  Get better and we'll meet in the playoffs sometime.  

Maybe they actually had great vision. Had we also followed Northern Colorado at the same time, we would likely be wallowing in the Summit and MVFC right now along side the rest of the Dakota schools.

No thanks. The 5 year wait was a small price to pay for Big Sky affiliation, IMO. If we had to do it all over again, I'd want it done the same way.

I disagree. NDSU and UND were at similar levels when NDSU jumped up. Look at the separation they've put between us. Had we moved up at the same time there's no telling what would have happened. I can only assume that the rivalry would have been taken to new heights with the legitimacy of FCS compared to D2.