SiouxSports.com Forum

Regional Head Coach Annual Salary

UND-FB-FAN

Recently reported that Dave Richman, the newly named men's basketball head coach at NDSU, will make 190k per year at NDSU.

USD's recent hire will get 185k and SDSU's Nagy makes 200k.

Brian Jones is making well below 100k a year. This is concerning to me because it demonstrates our lack of commitment to basketball.

We did what we needed to in football, by raising the salary a bit and making a quality hire. Now, we need to make a hire for men's basketball that is also worth an $150,000 deal or so. It's only a matter of time before a new hire is made - I'd give Jones a year or two at the most. Of course, when Faison decides to hire someone new, it depends not only on the performance of Jones, but also the athletic department's available funds for making a new hire. If we're gonna be dually a top football/basketball school in the Big Sky Conference, we need to show it financially.

I love it when people freak out about low salaries of Jones and Mussman. Both were hired before UND was d1. Should they have received a 100% raise just because und moved up?

Faison opened up the checkbook to buy out Mussman and hire Bubba. I see no reason why he wouldn't for men's basketball.

It's a good thing nobody here is the AD because at this point we would be on our fifth coach in two years, Brewster would have been fired last year and our football teams play book would include chucking the pigskin.

I love it when people freak out about low salaries of Jones and Mussman. Both were hired before UND was d1. Should they have received a 100% raise just because und moved up?

Faison opened up the checkbook to buy out Mussman and hire Bubba. I see no reason why he wouldn't for men's basketball.

It's a good thing nobody here is the AD because at this point we would be on our fifth coach in two years, Brewster would have been fired last year and our football teams play book would include chucking the pigskin.

Of course, the traditional "D2 - he hasn't earned it yet" response.

There's no reason we should have to go through a couple losing seasons before we actually get on par with NDSU, USD, and SDSU coach-wise.

Currently, our head basketball coach makes less than half of what the other regional coaches make. That isn't an issue?

There's no reason we should have to go through a couple losing seasons before we actually get on par with NDSU, USD, and SDSU coach-wise.

Currently, our head basketball coach makes less than half of what the other regional coaches make. That isn't an issue?

We should pay him more even though we don't have to? He isn't going anywhere so there is no benefit.

With Jones we're in a similar limbo as we were with Muss. Hired in D2, not enough success to warrant a raise to D1 standards, not quite bad enough to get the axe. It is frustrating to just look at the numbers in a vacuum but we saw Faison make the investment in football that we all agreed was needed as soon as Muss fell below an acceptable level of competitiveness. I see no reason to think he won't act similarly for basketball. Provided, of course, that Jones doesn't take the next step as a coach.

It's the traditional response because it's true.

Let me know when a Jones team doesn't finish top 3 in the big sky and at that point we can start talking about the hot seat. Until then, I think he has earned his salary and the fans support.

Let me know when a Jones team doesn't finish top 3 in the big sky and at that point we can start talking about the hot seat. Until then, I think he has earned his salary and the fans support.

17-17 overall record, yep he has earned his salary...and nothing more.

Recently reported that Dave Richman, the newly named men's basketball head coach at NDSU, will make 190k per year at NDSU.

USD's recent hire will get 185k and SDSU's Nagy makes 200k.

Brian Jones is making well below 100k a year. This is concerning to me because it demonstrates our lack of commitment to basketball.

We did what we needed to in football, by raising the salary a bit and making a quality hire. Now, we need to make a hire for men's basketball that is also worth an $150,000 deal or so. It's only a matter of time before a new hire is made - I'd give Jones a year or two at the most. Of course, when Faison decides to hire someone new, it depends not only on the performance of Jones, but also the athletic department's available funds for making a new hire. If we're gonna be dually a top football/basketball school in the Big Sky Conference, we need to show it financially.

The extension Jones signed last summer brought his salary to $100k this past season, so he is not well below that mark. He's obviously fairly paid at this point otherwise he would have bolted, paying him more isn't going to all of the sudden make him a better coach. I'd expect he'd get a raise, rightfully so, if UND made a trip to the NCAA tournament. He has a lot of proving to do over the next two seasons to show what kind of coach he is, especially now that he has had a few years to recruit the players he wants with no obstacles put in his way. If Jones leaves or is let go, I fully expect Faison will allocate the proper funds to hire a new head coach as he has done in the past.

USD had no choice to pay Craig Smith what they did, they made a great higher and he accepted a slight paycut to come there.

No clue why NDSU game Richman the salary they did, seems high for the experience he has. He wanted the job, has been at NDSU his entire career except for one year at NDSCS and never been a head coach. Smith from USD has coached in the B1G, the MWC and has head coaching experience, including being national coach of the year in the NAIA. Congrats to him for getting it though.

I will add the caveat that it is tough to use USD and SDSU's salaries as comparisons as they are only one year deals. If things go south, they don't have to be concerned about a buyout situation.

The extension Jones signed last summer brought his salary to $100k this past season, so he is not well below that mark. He's obviously fairly paid at this point otherwise he would have bolted, paying him more isn't going to all of the sudden make him a better coach. I'd expect he'd get a raise, rightfully so, if UND made a trip to the NCAA tournament. He has a lot of proving to do over the next two seasons to show what kind of coach he is, especially now that he has had a few years to recruit the players he wants with no obstacles put in his way. If Jones leaves or is let go, I fully expect Faison will allocate the proper funds to hire a new head coach as he has done in the past.

USD had no choice to pay Craig Smith what they did, they made a great higher and he accepted a slight paycut to come there.

No clue why NDSU game Richman the salary they did, seems high for the experience he has. He wanted the job, has been at NDSU his entire career except for one year at NDSCS and never been a head coach. Smith from USD has coached in the B1G, the MWC and has head coaching experience, including being national coach of the year in the NAIA. Congrats to him for getting it though.

I will add the caveat that it is tough to use USD and SDSU's salaries as comparisons as they are only one year deals. If things go south, they don't have to be concerned about a buyout situation.

The traditional response doesn't work. Schools that strive for greatness in a particular sport don't tolerate .500 records. Eventually, they cut ties and hire someone who is capable of taking the particular athletic team at hand to the next level.

Jones doesn't deserve a raise, I am not making that point. The point I am making, however, is that UND deserves a men's basketball coach that is on the same level, both coaching- and salary-wise, as NDSU, USD, and SDSU. Nothing more, nothing less.

Although Jones has twice finished in the top three of the Big Sky, he has yet to considerably exceed a 0.500 season record and win a post-season tournament game. Not to mention his out-of-conference record is atrocious. All the last couple years have demonstrated to me is that the Big Sky Conference is a weak basketball conference, with the top of the conference (Weber State and Montana) being the exception.

Lastly, the fans should support 0.500 basketball? That tells me the expectations of the university and/or supporters for men's basketball are below where I want them to be. A 0.500 basketball team will always have difficulty making the NCAA tournament. We can maybe finish in the top 3 in the Big Sky Conference, but trying to win the conference tournament will always be a different story.

I also would like to put on record as to saying, as history showed last December when Faison hired Bubba, that I believe Faison would increase the salary if Jones is fired and a new coach is hired. I just hope the hire is comparable to the coaches of NDSU, SDSU, and USD. 100K is not comparable to 200K...c'mon man!

• Upvote 2

The traditional response doesn't work. Schools that strive for greatness in a particular sport don't tolerate .500 records. Eventually, they cut ties and hire someone who is capable of taking the particular athletic team at hand to the next level.

Jones doesn't deserve a raise, I am not making that point. The point I am making, however, is that UND deserves a men's basketball coach that is on the same level, both coaching- and salary-wise, as NDSU, USD, and SDSU. Nothing more, nothing less.

Although Jones has twice finished in the top three of the Big Sky, he has yet to considerably exceed a 0.500 season record and win a post-season tournament game. Not to mention his out-of-conference record is atrocious. All the last couple years have demonstrated to me is that the Big Sky Conference is a weak basketball conference, with the top of the conference (Weber State and Montana) being the exception.

Lastly, the fans should support 0.500 basketball? That tells me the expectations of the university and/or supporters for men's basketball are below where I want them to be. A 0.500 basketball team will always have difficulty making the NCAA tournament. We can maybe finish in the top 3 in the Big Sky Conference, but trying to win the conference tournament will always be a different story.

Well said, my friend. Well said. :)

I also would like to put on record as to saying, as history showed last December when Faison hired Bubba, that I believe Faison would increase the salary if Jones is fired and a new coach is hired. I just hope the hire is comparable to the coaches of NDSU, SDSU, and USD. 100K is not comparable to 200K...c'mon man!

^^^^^^^^^^This!!!!

All fair points and exactly why I stated that I think Jones has roughly 2 more years to prove his case. Very curious what he can do without the senior class that graduates this spring. I want to see if some of the issues that we saw were due to his coaching or due to the players on the court or how much of a combination of both it was. Not expecting a miracle next year but I'd like to think the record will similar, though I don't see UND fairing as well in conference play. Seeing some success next year would also be encouraging that UND isn't going to settle for being a contender once every 4-5 years. The classes need to balance out for that to happen and while maybe not ideal, bringing in some JuCo's is both bridging the gap and balancing out the classes.

As to your last point, well aware that Jones is below the other Dakota schools, my only point is that he received a 15%+ raise to get to 6 figures after the first year in the Big Sky, he wasn't below that threshold anymore. And again, the South Dakota school's can only offer 1 year contracts, they can offer more up front knowing there is no buyout on an extended year contract. If Richman flops at NDSU, they are on the hook for 5 years at $190k. If Smith flops at USD, they can cut ties after any season they want.

All fair points and exactly why I stated that I think Jones has roughly 2 more years to prove his case. Very curious what he can do without the senior class that graduates this spring. I want to see if some of the issues that we saw were due to his coaching or due to the players on the court or how much of a combination of both it was. Not expecting a miracle next year but I'd like to think the record will similar, though I don't see UND fairing as well in conference play. Seeing some success next year would also be encouraging that UND isn't going to settle for being a contender once every 4-5 years. The classes need to balance out for that to happen and while maybe not ideal, bringing in some JuCo's is both bridging the gap and balancing out the classes.

As to your last point, well aware that Jones is below the other Dakota schools, my only point is that he received a 15%+ raise to get to 6 figures after the first year in the Big Sky, he wasn't below that threshold anymore. And again, the South Dakota school's can only offer 1 year contracts, they can offer more up front knowing there is no buyout on an extended year contract. If Richman flops at NDSU, they are on the hook for 5 years at $190k. If Smith flops at USD, they can cut ties after any season they want.

Interesting that Smith left Lincoln for that deal. Was time to get back in the coaching saddle I guess.

Gene didn't want to go backwards in pay, he did the same thing with Klieman. I think it is a solid vote of confidence in a new hire to basically give him the same salary as his predecessor.

I also don't think Gene wants to pay his basketball coach a bottom half salary in the Summit. Even at $190k Richman is the 4th highest paid in the league. USD kind of raised the bar when they paid Smith $185k.

• Upvote 1

Gene didn't want to go backwards in pay, he did the same thing with Klieman. I think it is a solid vote of confidence in a new hire to basically give him the same salary as his predecessor.

I also don't think Gene wants to pay his basketball coach a bottom half salary in the Summit. Even at $190k Richman is the 4th highest paid in the league. USD kind of raised the bar when they paid Smith $185k.

Not a whole lot of arguments, but I believe Klieman's total comp package is less than Bohl's before he left (different structure though), though they are close and NDSU needed to pony up as I've heard that Klieman originally intended on going with Bohl. I suppose that Richman probably could have joined Saul or Miles' staff for similar money if he didn't get the NDSU job, so that probably played into it some.

Agree that USD raised the bar, but since it appears they really wanted Smith, they didn't have a choice between what he was making at Nebraska and their ability to only offer 1 year contracts. While NDSU may be more familiar with Richman than USD is with Smith, I think that Smith definitely has a stronger resume.

Klieman makes more in base than what Bohl made but Bohl did get a cut of ticket sales. I think you are right that Bohl made a bit more with that factored in.

I think there is a good chance that Tim would have hired Dave, it sounds like he played a key role in Dave getting the job.

Two more years of Jones will kill this program. Jones will never get us to the dance, let alone win a game. We need to step things up now rather than having NDSU continually pulling away. Unfortunately Jones will be back next year but it shouild be win big or be gone
  • Upvote 1

In my opinion he is on notice this year...IMHO the only reason he hasn't been fired is because they had to buy out Mussmans' contract and had to find money for that plus an increased salary for Bubba. They aren't going to buy out Jones contract in the same year as Mussman. We aren't on a budget to buy out two of the biggest sports coaches in the same offseason. If he fails this next year I truly believe he will be gone.

Two more years of Jones will kill this program. Jones will never get us to the dance, let alone win a game. We need to step things up now rather than having NDSU continually pulling away. Unfortunately Jones will be back next year but it shouild be win big or be gone

Like Jones or not, he has increased that quality of the program since he has been here. The last couple years of the Glas era killed the program.

Two more years of Jones will kill this program. Jones will never get us to the dance, let alone win a game.

To be fair, Jones got close to "the dance" two seasons ago, then got even closer this past season.

We need to step things up now rather than having NDSU continually pulling away.

Sorry, but I think the likes of Weber St. is a bigger problem, seeing as how they actually affect our program in a tangible way.

• Upvote 2