SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs. FERRIS STATE - Saturday 5:30 ESPNU

AZSIOUX

Video of the game winning goal is up. So, I am at my brother-In-Law's house, by buddy Trin says, Conner Gaarder is scoring the game winning goal. I said, "What?" He says, "mark it down." Wouldn't you know it. In grabbing my inner @GFHockey, the beers slid down tonight...

Mark yesterday down in the calendar Hak had a grin, not his usual i barely show a half smile but a full blown grin when espn showed the bench dumping.

@hitzgirl: Interesting note: Adam Tambellini's [Calgary Hitmen] season ended on the same night UND advanced to the Frozen Four. #poeticjustice?

Think I saw Mitch tweet wherestambro...I'm guessing that's Tambellini but could be wrong in that if someone else knows.

Great job Zane!!! Bring on st cloud! Ha or the gophs but from all my gophs buddies they will wax us in Philly. Better punch your ticket first goldy

Those who follow college hockey a bit more closely than others knew all along and full well that Ferris State is no slouch and a very very talented and well coached hockey team. They took it to us non-stop and easily could, and even should, have won the game. Those who were trashing Ferris State, and the WCHA, simply need to study more and say less. The WCHA should be commended for the showing that it made in the college hockey world this season.

I'll take a little bit of these, because I underestimated Ferris a bit. Honestly though, I STILL don't think the Bulldogs are that great of a team. Plug, plug, plug, win a battle, get denied in the slot, plug, plug, plug..... I just don't think they are that talented. I never really trashed them, I just said I thought we were the better team. Regardless if we got "outplayed", which yes, we did for big stretches, I still would take this UND squad over that FSU team 10-out-of-10 games.

To suggest that a fan (myself) needs to study more because they think a team like Ferris State isn't that good, is shortsighted. I watch LOTS of college hockey. I have my opinion on who's good and who's not. Ferris plays a great, disciplined game. They are good. But, they are not better than UND, IMO. That's all I said before, as well. I said the Sioux were better.

• Upvote 2

Mark yesterday down in the calendar Hak had a grin, not his usual i barely show a half smile but a full blown grin when espn showed the bench dumping.

I just watched all the videos also, good stuff! Simpson looks like a true leader with the media, helping Zane and Gaarder through it all, true leader. So happy for them guys, way to go Sioux!

Hakstols comments to Gaarder are pretty awesome. The look on Gaarders face as he looks back at his teammates after Haks comment is priceless.

I just watched all the videos also, good stuff! Simpson looks like a true leader with the media, helping Zane and Gaarder through it all, true leader. So happy for them guys, way to go Sioux!

Hakstols comments to Gaarder are pretty awesome. The look on Gaarders face as he looks back at his teammates after Haks comment is priceless.

yes, watching the presser did it look like connor was why am I here I just scored a goal that's it?

I'll take a little bit of these, because I underestimated Ferris a bit. Honestly though, I STILL don't think the Bulldogs are that great of a team. Plug, plug, plug, win a battle, get denied in the slot, plug, plug, plug..... I just don't think they are that talented. I never really trashed them, I just said I thought we were the better team. Regardless if we got "outplayed", which yes, we did for big stretches, I still would take this UND squad over that FSU team 10-out-of-10 games.

To suggest that a fan (myself) needs to study more because they think a team like Ferris State isn't that good, is shortsighted. I watch LOTS of college hockey. I have my opinion on who's good and who's not. Ferris plays a great, disciplined game. They are good. But, they are not better than UND, IMO. That's all I said before, as well. I said the Sioux were better.

Completely agree.

• Upvote 1

They are good. But, they are not better than UND, IMO. That's all I said before, as well. I said the Sioux were better.

Not singling you out by any stretch stoney. As I recall, lots for folks were simply writing Ferris and the WCHA off for little good reason and some even trying to set North Dakota up for failure. Ferris was "good" enough to pound 44 shots on Gothberg. With many quallity chances. Not many teams have done that against us all year. If not for Zane, the boys might be getting ready to load up the seed planters in The Valley. Instead, they are still in the hunt for a National Championship. All good if not great things for all of us.

The Sioux won the game. We are going to Philly and Ferris State is going home. Not because we were the "better" team last night, but because Gothberg kept us in a game that could have easily ended 3-1 in regulation. With Ferris moving on. It's all rear view mirror stuff now.

Ultimately, you were and are right. The Sioux are "better" than Ferris State. That's why we won. The "better" team always wins the hockey game. And the "best" team always wins the National Championship. That's just the way it goes. Any arguments to the contrary break down into plain silliness. Let's go Sioux!!

Not singling you out by any stretch stoney. As I recall, lots for folks were simply writing Ferris and the WCHA off for little good reason and some even trying to set North Dakota up for failure. Ferris was "good" enough to pound 44 shots on Gothberg. With many quallity chances. Not many teams have done that against us all year. If not for Zane, the boys might be getting ready to load up the seed planters in The Valley. Instead, they are still in the hunt for a National Championship. All good if not great things for all of us.

The Sioux won the game. We are going to Philly and Ferris State is going home. Not because we were the "better" team last night, but because Gothberg kept us in a game that could have easily ended 3-1 in regulation. With Ferris moving on. It's all rear view mirror stuff now.

Ultimately, you were and are right. The Sioux are "better" than Ferris State. That's why we won. The "better" team always wins the hockey game. And the "best" team always wins the National Championship. That's just the way it goes. Any arguments to the contrary break down into plain silliness. Let's go Sioux!!

Speaking to your first paragraph only, that's because und looked tired and slow for a majority of that game. Not saying ferris isn't a good hockey team because they are, however, we played very bad.

Speaking to your first paragraph only, that's because und looked tired and slow for a majority of that game. Not saying ferris isn't a good hockey team because they are, however, we played very bad.

Completely agree with the tired. No excuses, really.... again, no excuses... but did playing a gritty Wisconsin team, a huge rival on less than a 24 hour turn around, effect UND?

You could physically see the boys battling, that's why our defense was clearing pucks, etc., but their legs clearly weren't there. Then, Ferris finally started to get tired (middle of 1st OT) and then it evened up. When both Ferris and UND were fully gassed, our skill took over. This to me shows we were the better team.

Ultimately, it's all window dressing. I seriously don't care how they won. We've lost SO MANY "shoulda won" games over the last handful of years in the tourney, it's nice to be on the other side of one.

If its Sioux/Gophers I would be very surprised if it is not the late game even if BC is in the frozen 4.

BC and Union would be a pretty big draw for the East and that's what ESPN loves.

Would LOVE not have to take off two hours early next Thursday, but I think I may have to.

I agree that UND played poorly. Watch the first OT. Wow were they gripping the sticks tightly. Ice was crap but Ferris seemed fine in that first OT.

Highway robbery from Zane. Seven game series I'd say UND wins it. Last night the team that was better had its season ended. That's why you gotta love hockey.

Does ESPN have semi brackets set in F4 or would/could they move the UND/MN game to the late semi if it shakes out that way?

I wouldn't count on that, Union and either BC/Lowell could easily get that late slot. Remember, there is an East Coast Bias here. ;)

What else would you expect from Jerry Burns grand son. Go out get it done attitude.

His presser was great! It was like he was just talking with his boys/teammates hanging out ! Good stuff from the gordini!

Hey Goon. Thank you for putting those goals up over the course of the year. It's the only way I see some of these, and it's very much appreciated.

Hey no sweat, I couldn't go to bed last night until I had put that one up. I wish more of the games were on TV.

@UNDSID: "Haj, can I tweet 'hashtag fire Hak?" -- UND player to me in the locker room after last night's game.

m.twitter.com/UNDSID

They read this website, wow! To think they are still kids/very young adults!

Hope some people are ashamed of their comments on this site!

Way to go boys!